Over 1000 photos on one single battery with the M10

patrickcolpron

On 10/29/2018 at 6:42 PM, Alex U. said:

The final word here is that battery power is absolutely no issue with the M10. That is good news anyway.

Even though I would not advise anyone to take just one battery when planning a wedding with over 1000 shots. I never ever did that. Even with the Canon 5D Mk IV I never reached that figure in practice. It seems like with petrol consumption of an engine. The advertising says 5 liters for 100km but the practice is another thing and when you try very very very hard you might do it maybe. But I see no reason to try so hard. So I expect some 250 shots with the M10. If I get more then thats fine.

I never just have one battery for a wedding I usually have 3 to 4 spare batteries and SD cards - just in case + a couple of spare cameras and lenses. 

I wouldn't compare gas consumption with battery power, there are a number of factors with will affect the battery life of a camera, weather being the number one issue, the type SD card, is the camera always on - are you constantly chimping and reviewing your stuff, etc., ... 

Correct, battery life is not an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

I use the M10 strictly for professional use and routinely get 800-1,100 shots per charge on a single day shoot, even in cold weather which I shoot in a lot. I have 3 batteries which has proven to be overkill, I have never needed more than 2. I shoot advertising and documentary editorial.

Same here - strictly professional use and get way more shot than advertised. Only needed the spare batteries when I left the camera on and - it took multiple photos of the inside of the camera bag, bummer, draining the battery in the process. 

I have auto review switched off, and only review if I'm in doubt of something.  I also never use LV on the rear screen, and only use the EVF with ultra wide lenses (so I don't need separate finders for each focal length if I'm carrying more than one).  With that usage I was able to shoot an entire 10-day trip on one battery (down to 35% at the end), but that's with an M240 whose battery is much larger.  An M10 probably would get me 4-5 days of shooting.  However if I did use auto review or chimped a lot or made extensive use of LV I would not expect the same kind of battery longevity.  That's why it's difficult to extrapolate from others' data.  Not to mention not knowing how new/old their batteries are, or how many times they've been cycled.  Or the ambient temperature while shooting.  So many variables are not mentioned and accounted for.

14 hours ago, bocaburger said:

I have auto review switched off, and only review if I'm in doubt of something.  I also never use LV on the rear screen, and only use the EVF with ultra wide lenses (so I don't need separate finders for each focal length if I'm carrying more than one).  With that usage I was able to shoot an entire 10-day trip on one battery (down to 35% at the end), but that's with an M240 whose battery is much larger.  An M10 probably would get me 4-5 days of shooting.  However if I did use auto review or chimped a lot or made extensive use of LV I would not expect the same kind of battery longevity.  That's why it's difficult to extrapolate from others' data.  Not to mention not knowing how new/old their batteries are, or how many times they've been cycled.  Or the ambient temperature while shooting.  So many variables are not mentioned and accounted for.

I am starting to think anyone with experience stating something different than what has been said by other "reviewers", who never used a given camera extensively or for actual work - will not be taken seriously by the "members" on the Leica Forum. 

Seriously...

"Not to mention not knowing how new/old their batteries are, or how many times they've been cycled.  Or the ambient temperature while shooting.  So many variables are not mentioned and accounted for." 

I do not know you, your experience or the cameras you have but a M240 is not an M10 and it does not look like you speak from experience here with an actual M10. 

To say you are splitting hairs is being gentle ... this is why I'll keep to myself and just lurk going forward, if and when I visit the forum.

I do not have these cameras for the sake of having Leica cameras, these are part of my photographer's tool bag, not cameras I take on vacation with me - I earn a living with them. 

I have others things to do than fight to prove facts and actual experience with the cameras I use.

It really feels like people who have been here a long time are not at all welcoming to newer members... 

Wishing you all, all the best, bonne continuation as we say in France

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I rarely need to change batteries on my M10. These days, however,  I'm shooting for gallery display and a very heavy day might amount to 300-400 shots. Still, there is always a spare battery (and SD cards) in my bag or pocket.

A few years ago, when on a job, I would bring 5 spare batteries for my M9 and Monochrom. And there were a few occasions where I exhausted all batteries. Mostly it depended on if I was shooting people, products or landscapes. I never kept an exposure count but if I had to guess I'd get 650-700 shots on all M9 and probably 750 on the M10.

BTW, Patrick, we like new guys and girls. Sure, we may seem like a bunch of contentious old farts, but many of us have been making our livings behind a lens since the M3 was new. We think we know everything. Forgive us... then show us what you can do.

barefootphoto.gallery

Edited by Printmaker
typo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hawaii, 1998 (M6) posted here

Printmaker,

as you live in Hawaii, by chance have you idea where this sign is/was from ?

out of topic, sorry Patrick ( you are welcome here )

but I don't remember where I took this photo where I classed in Hawaii "box",

I think maybe it's from Maui, Paia ...but maybe also possible Oahu or Kauai where we stayed at some point

Thanks in advance

On 11/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, a.noctilux said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hawaii, 1998 (M6) posted here

Printmaker,

as you live in Hawaii, by chance have you idea where this sign is/was from ?

out of topic, sorry Patrick ( you are welcome here )

but I don't remember where I took this photo where I classed in Hawaii "box",

I think maybe it's from Maui, Paia ...but maybe also possible Oahu or Kauai where we stayed at some point

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I was away from my computer. That sure looks like Maui but it could be anywhere on the islands. Every island has a different character and the people who live there reflect the difference. I like Maui but it can take a very Californian character. Everybody on Maui seems to try too hard to have fun. Oahu is just too damn crowded. Kauai was a nice quiet little place when I first sailed into port but the population has more than doubled while the infrastructure and government remain firmly rooted in the 1950s. But compared to the rest of the world, Hawaii is still paradise.

Nice shot. I'd make a sign like that if I had my own bricks & mortar gallery. I show at the Art House in Koloa.

Okay, back to the number of exposures per battery...

barefootphoto.gallery

On 11/16/2018 at 4:22 AM, patrickcolpron said:

I do not know you, your experience or the cameras you have but a M240 is not an M10 and it does not look like you speak from experience here with an actual M10. 

To say you are splitting hairs is being gentle ... this is why I'll keep to myself and just lurk going forward, if and when I visit the forum.

Quite true, you do not know me or my experience, and yet you proceed to assume both.  Incorrectly I might add.   And the passive-agressive "if I don't care for what you say so I won't post anymore" with the implication that people should beg you to reconsider, and the assertion that being "a professional" automatically elevates one's credibility over others, is in my opinion what can make a forum unwelcoming to newcomers.   Many of us here who are not "professionals" and use our Leicas "to take on vacation" are quite serious, knowledgeable photographers with decades of experience.  I have shot many weddings as a guest and been told later by the family that my images surpassed those of the paid pro, and in many cases it is my images they have framed and displayed in their homes.   That said, my career experience is in a healthcare profession, and thus I have a biased skepticism regarding extrapolating from anecdotal data, particularly when multiple variables have not been accounted for.   In the case of digital cameras, those variables include temperature, battery age, and amount of usage of battery-consuming features such as the LCD and/or and EVF.  And battery size/capacity, in which the M240's exceeds that of the M10. Those are facts derived from the laws of physics.  The designers at Leica would not dispute that, whether or not they have ever shot a wedding professionally in their lives.  Which I believe most like the majority of them have not. 

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 1