Jump to content

CHARGING THE Q3 BATTERY


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When i charge my batteries fully the red and green lights remain on to indicate fully charged but if i lift the battery out and put it straight back in again the red will remian solid but the green will start flashing again. has anyone else noticed this? does that mean that it hasn't been fully charged the first time. 

also i have to say i am disappointed with how many shots i am getting on a fully charged battery. With OIS, Bluetooth and all the other potential draining settings switched off, i have done a test each full day out shooting and the results are 

121, 270, 203, 126, 112, 153

thanks

shane

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Shane Oneill said:

When i charge my batteries fully the red and green lights remain on to indicate fully charged but if i lift the battery out and put it straight back in again the red will remian solid but the green will start flashing again. has anyone else noticed this? does that mean that it hasn't been fully charged the first time. 

also i have to say i am disappointed with how many shots i am getting on a fully charged battery. With OIS, Bluetooth and all the other potential draining settings switched off, i have done a test each full day out shooting and the results are 

121, 270, 203, 126, 112, 153

thanks

shane

 

I think that's normal behavior. it will indicate it's fully charge shortly. as for the second issue you definitely need a second battery I just think a 170 dollars is too much of an ask especially after having plunked down 6K. 

Edited by rayansb
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to their website, to achieve maximum battery longevity, you should only charge the battery to 80%, not fully, and only run it down to 20%… This does obviously mean you don’t get so many shots, but as the batteries are so so so expensive, for me it’s worth trying… I need two batteries for a full day, but I’m sure depending on how the camera is configured, some people may use three batteries…. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ChrisQ3 said:

According to their website, to achieve maximum battery longevity, you should only charge the battery to 80%, not fully, and only run it down to 20%… This does obviously mean you don’t get so many shots, but as the batteries are so so so expensive, for me it’s worth trying… I need two batteries for a full day, but I’m sure depending on how the camera is configured, some people may use three batteries…. 

I've often read of that as a counsel of perfection; but how does one identify the 20% and 80% levels?

David

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, David Wien said:

I've often read of that as a counsel of perfection; but how does one identify the 20% and 80% levels?

David

The battery charger that came with the Q3, has a light to indicate it has reached 80% charge - and the battery indicator on the camera shows when it has dropped to 20%…

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ChrisQ3 said:

According to their website, to achieve maximum battery longevity, you should only charge the battery to 80%, not fully, and only run it down to 20%… This does obviously mean you don’t get so many shots, but as the batteries are so so so expensive, for me it’s worth trying… I need two batteries for a full day, but I’m sure depending on how the camera is configured, some people may use three batteries…. 

thanks will try that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2023 at 5:15 PM, Shane Oneill said:

When i charge my batteries fully the red and green lights remain on to indicate fully charged but if i lift the battery out and put it straight back in again the red will remian solid but the green will start flashing again. has anyone else noticed this? does that mean that it hasn't been fully charged the first time. 

also i have to say i am disappointed with how many shots i am getting on a fully charged battery. With OIS, Bluetooth and all the other potential draining settings switched off, i have done a test each full day out shooting and the results are 

121, 270, 203, 126, 112, 153

thanks

shane

 

Perhaps it's your shooting style? Do you turn off your camera between shots? It's common sense but if you leave it on in between it could be why you're seeing low numbers. Also AFc uses a lot more battery than AFs. I also would not put the battery back on the charge after it's charged to 100% as doing so will ruin the battery long term. You're basically trying to charge a full battery which is a big no no.

Edited by Miltz
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Miltz said:

Perhaps it's your shooting style? Do you turn off your camera between shots? It's common sense but if you leave it on in between it could be why you're seeing low numbers. Also AFc uses a lot more battery than AFs. I also would not put the battery back on the charge after it's charged to 100% as doing so will ruin the battery long term. You're basically trying to charge a full battery which is a big no no.

If it helps, the electronic shutter appears to use a lot less battery and I switch the camera off between shots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Leica FOTOS application it is possible to know the battery charge.

It is displayed at the top left of the screen once connected

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Miltz said:

Perhaps it's your shooting style? Do you turn off your camera between shots? It's common sense but if you leave it on in between it could be why you're seeing low numbers. Also AFc uses a lot more battery than AFs. I also would not put the battery back on the charge after it's charged to 100% as doing so will ruin the battery long term. You're basically trying to charge a full battery which is a big no no.

i shoot very regularly but dont turn off in between but will try that thanks. i only use AFs and good to know on reinserting the battery 

weird that it would show full charge and then a second later begin flashing again ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shane Oneill said:

i shoot very regularly but dont turn off in between but will try that thanks. i only use AFs and good to know on reinserting the battery 

weird that it would show full charge and then a second later begin flashing again ?

Not really Most chargers behave like that when you reinsert a full battery. The charger makes use of two parameters when recharging a battery:  the voltage and the battery temperature. If you pull it out the temperature will drop and the voltage will settle down on a (very) slightly lower level. Those two will will cause a charger to squeeze in a few milliamperes more. Doing this regularly is not advisable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The wireless charging unit and useless grip are back in their box too fiddly to get the damn thing charging and also so very poor to not be able to get at SD card or battery with grip on. Thank heavens I bought a third party one. It arrived I put it on and it works perfectly out of the box. A shame Leica cannot do the same.

Camera comes with a charger BC-SCL-4 that has a Swiss plug on one end but is so short as to be blinking useless. Fortunately the US plug has a much longer cable, so I cut off the US plug and fitted a Swiss one. So no issues with that charger. I charged two batteries to 80% and then took them out.

Camera feels absolutely right in the hands with the grip and I shall be trying it out tomorrow. Menus are easy to remember and I recorded a profile.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...