Q3 - Battery drain over night?

Xtopher

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had this several days now, with the battery of my Q3 beeing empty in the morning. Yes, the Foto app pairing is turned on, but the camera is turned off.

Is the camera and the phone communicating the whole night without being used and that’s draining the battery?

Any idea where this is coming from? Do I need to turn off the app pairing every night for this to stop. I will test it… 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have other cameras like the sony a7 series and with the camera left on and it can go for days asleep on stand by. Another oddity I found with the Q3 was that it was on my desk on but in standby with wifi/bluetooth off. A few hours after I left it I was at my desk and all of a sudden the camera made the clicking noise it does when it starts up, perhaps the OIS kicked in. I didnt touch it at all. Hoping firmware will clear this bug.

Something is not right with your camera.  Possibly it is not fully shutting off when you switch it off.  Remove and reinstall your battery, and try a different SD card just in case that helps. If it continues, I would take it in to the nearest Leica dealer for warranty service.  FWIW I last used mine about 12 days ago at which time it may have had about 50% of its charge.  I just checked and it has around 40% charge today.  My camera's WiFi/Paring has been in performance mode since the last use. 

Doesn’t happen with my Q2. I have it linked to FOTOs (but not often actively connected) - it can still be switched on remotely by the app. Left switched off in the camera bag for a month or longer, the battery is still at least half full. Yes, i do need to get out more to take photos!

My Q3 has all connectivity feature enabled,  it does not show any battery drain (and if any, it is minimal). I would reset the camera to factory defaults, reinstall everything and if the issues persists, ask for a new battery first and then send in the camera. 

On the other side, my A7RV switched itself in the bag on and even having stand-by and auto off settings enabled, has drained completely my battery several times. Have never had thas issue with any of my Sonys before. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2023 at 11:35 AM, Xtopher said:

I had this several days now, with the battery of my Q3 beeing empty in the morning. Yes, the Foto app pairing is turned on, but the camera is turned off.

Is the camera and the phone communicating the whole night without being used and that’s draining the battery?

Any idea where this is coming from? Do I need to turn off the app pairing every night for this to stop. I will test it… 

Had the same issue with my new Q3. Fotos App with smartphone connection was not set up. 

Even when I set up the Fotos app & smartphone connection and deactivated it in the settings, the battery still drained. 

So that's what I did:

Try a factory reset of the camera and set up a user profile. Set up the Fotos app & smartphone connection and deactivated it in the settings. Save everythign in one of the profile slots. Set the Q3 to the saved user profile, Somehow that solves the problem.

Q3 have been sitting for a week in the cabinet and the battery haven't drained since the workaround. 

Edited by R4p70r
  • Like 1

I had a Sony RX100V that did this. It would drain the battery while turned off. 

Sony refused to do anything about it. Eventually I created an elaborate diagnostic apparatus to measure battery voltage drop while the battery was in the camera to prove it was happening, and sent them the results. Finally they caved and agreed to repair it, and changed the motherboard. The problem didn’t reappear.

Thankfully Leica are a lot better to deal with than Sony, so I suggest you speak to them. I’ve found the team who monitor the “Customer Service” emails sent from the Fotos app to be very responsive so I’d give that a try. It just creates an email for you to send, but it includes relevant info and goes straight to the support team.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:55 PM, ianforber said:

Doesn’t happen with my Q2. I have it linked to FOTOs (but not often actively connected) - it can still be switched on remotely by the app. Left switched off in the camera bag for a month or longer, the battery is still at least half full. Yes, i do need to get out more to take photos!

You are not alone. I’ve had the same issue with the Q3.  The Q3 is in desperate need of a big firmware update, I hope it’s coming soon.  The Q3 is slow, it still freezes with the current firmware. I love it though, the files are great and I love the functionality of the flip screen. But moving from the Q2 to the Q3 has been fraught with growing pains.  

As for the battery, I would turn off Bluetooth until they fix it, which they will.  

• 2 months later...

Q3 battery drain when off is caused by the wireless charging grip.  I have tested it many times and when not using the wireless charging grip battery last a lot longer.   Hope the fix it soon.