35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Artin said:

Steven I bet anything there is probably not a single person in this world that can tell the difference in the Image between a steel rim and the V2 

Still rim i don't know but v2 keeps some sharpness at f/1.4 whereas v1 looks significantly softer. It is a feeling i had for many years and Steven's pics are confirming it to me. Not to say that i prefer v1 though but this is subjective obviously :cool:.

1 minute ago, Artin said:

Wow 41mm filter , now that is worth the extra 30+K 

That is one of the many reasons to me why it is worth the extra 11k 

P.S. You're still as judgemental from one thread to another. Or egocentric, I can't tell which one it is. 😁

• Haha 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Steven said:

1. Steel Rim from batch 206 and 216 - around 22K for 206 and 25k for 216, very hard to find

2. Steel Rim from batch 176 and 177 - around 15k 

3. V2 infinity lock Brass from batch 216 and very early 222- around 7,5k 

4. V2 infinity lock Brass from batch 222, 229 and 234 - around 5K 

5. V2 Titane - around 4K

Thank Bog for Voigtlander's 35mm f/1.4 Nokton I/II. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Artin said:

sorry Steven not familiar with the serials ?? what is a 177xxxxx ?  

There are different batches. The batch 216, also called the transitional or the gold coated, is supposed to be the nicest batch. 

it is indeed one of the sharpest. to give you another example, the first batch 173 has more glow than a 177. 

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Mostly, I haven’t seen a photo taken with an old lens that wouldn’t have been better taken with a more modern one, or with a Canon, Nikon or whatever - not to say these old lens photos aren’t good; just the lens has played a subsidiary role to the skill of the photographer.

A bit off-topic but probably more interesting than the original one. As ever and maybe even more so in this case better is undefinable and unquantifiable but I can't imagine some photographs taken by the great pictorialists like Misonne, Emerson, Julia Margaret Cameron and so many others be better without the special rendering of their "flawed" lenses. Would Steichen's Pond or Flatiron Building be better if he had used some APO ASPH lens? I honestly don't think that the role of these lenses where subsidiary and in fact show us just how skilled these photographers were.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, ianman said:

A bit off-topic but probably more interesting than the original one. As ever and maybe even more so in this case better is undefinable and unquantifiable but I can't imagine some photographs taken by the great pictorialists like Misonne, Emerson, Julia Margaret Cameron and so many others be better without the special rendering of their "flawed" lenses. Would Steichen's Pond or Flatiron Building be better if he had used some APO ASPH lens? I honestly don't think that the role of these lenses where subsidiary and in fact show us just how skilled these photographers were.

Or, put the other way, would those two famous images by Edward Steichen be worse, taken with a modern APO ASPH lens?  Or, more provocatively, was he using the best, most modern lenses available to him?

We may be seeing different things, but the appeal of those images to me is their composition and the atmosphere provided by the lighting, or lack of it.

Robert Frank is reported to have said the least important aspect of his images was the equipment he used.  He did favour a Leica LTM camera, but most often use a Nikon threadmount lens …

• Like 1

Or, put the other way, would those two famous images by Edward Steichen be worse, taken with a modern APO ASPH lens?  Or, more provocatively, was he using the best, most modern lenses available to him?

worse/best, again are not appropriate terms IMO. They would certainly not have the same mood if taken with a modern lens. Perhaps my choice of genre was cheating somewhat, we must remember that these people (pictorialists) were attempting to duplicate the mood of impressionist paintings. It’s a good point about his choice of lens, I don’t have the knowledge to answer that but I certainly think their choice of lens was made in full knowledge of their qualities. Pictorialism wasn’t the only genre. The choice of lens is just as much a part of the skill and knowledge of the photographer as the ability to expose and compose to achieve the desired result.

We may be seeing different things, but the appeal of those images to me is their composition and the atmosphere provided by the lighting, or lack of it.

That is precisely my point, the atmosphere rendered very much depends how the light  behaves when going through the lens. The light may behave better when going through a highly corrected lens but it would not have the same mood at all. After that better or worse is personal taste.

Maybe this will help explain my point. Would you prefer to listen to Bach played by an ensemble using period instruments or the same music played by Wendy Carlos on a modular Synthesizer?

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know what lenses Steichen used, and with that, what film was used, paper stock and what went on in the dark room ...

My choice of Bach is limited to period instruments or a synthesiser?  I have recordings of Bach on both period and modern instruments.  To take my point, though, Bach wrote his music for the current instruments - he did compose for animal skin drums and nose flutes ...

I have no idea about the lenses. I’ll take a look at that. I’ve always assumed he used glass rather than film but again, I really have no idea.
I reckon quite a lot went on in the darkroom, hand colouring The Pond prints for a start. This is partly why I mentioned that my comparison may be cheating somewhat. My suggestion of period instrument or synth was in direct response to you first comment which was:

14 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

…I haven’t seen a photo taken with an old lens that wouldn’t have been better taken with a more modern one …

Maybe I misunderstood that.

• Like 1