35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

3 hours ago, ianman said:

Why? It sounds like a reasonable judgment based on experience to me. Nobody has to agree with it.

I said he’s right. Meaning I agree with his judgment. The bitterness was more related to the constant negative feedback that I’ve been getting from IkarusJohn everywhere I post something. I mean, he came to a breaking news thread to ask me to stop posting leaks and infos as people prefer to have the surprise. I guess I’ve been feeling that I get on his nerves very easily and I always get a sour reaction. But really it’s a non issue. Who cares 😝 let’s keep talking about that little gem of a lens. 

• Like 1

I was lucky to be able to acquire three extra steel rims this week. One at market price, two of them at a 25% discount of the market value. 
This means that I now own every single batch of the V1 ever produced: 173, 176, 177, 206, and the very coveted 216, aka “the gold one”. can’t wait to try them all side by side. 
i also have three of the four Infinity lock V2 batches: 216, aka “the transition one”, with the brass lock, 222, and 234. Just missing 229. 

yes, I plan to become the world’s leading expert of the 35 Pre Asph summilux 😃 😆 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I was lucky to be able to acquire three extra steel rims this week. One at market price, two of them at a 25% discount of the market value. 

First, I hate everyone that contributed to this thread as I currently want one steel rim.

Second, what is current "market price" for one of these?

Third, if you're still in Dubai you can sell me one of yours. ;) 

Just now, junix said:

First, I hate everyone that contributed to this thread as I currently want one steel rim.

Second, what is current "market price" for one of these?

Third, if you're still in Dubai you can sell me one of yours. ;) 

😆 good try ! I’m buying, not selling ! 
about market price, hold on one second. I answered that to someone in a pm a couple days ago I’ll try to copy paste. 

1. Steel Rim from batch 206 and 216 - around 22K for 206 and 25k for 216, very hard to find

2. Steel Rim from batch 176 and 177 - around 15k 

3. V2 infinity lock Brass from batch 216 and very early 222- around 7,5k 

4. V2 infinity lock Brass from batch 222, 229 and 234 - around 5K 

5. V2 Titane - around 4K 

• Like 1

One of the things I find interesting about the internet is the sharing of knowledge and experience.  I do like my 35 Summilux pre-asph, but as I’ve said on a number of occasions, I find it a tricky beast.  I don’t get all breathless over “Leica glow”, character and the other nonsense which you read about elsewhere.

As for @Steven, I find no point in personal exchanges, and what anyone else thinks of me on the internet is of supreme indifference, primarily because sticking to the topic is more interesting.  If I disagree with what someone says (or someone disagrees with what I may say), attacking the person because you don’t like the message adds nothing but noise …

20 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

One of the things I find interesting about the internet is the sharing of knowledge and experience.  I do like my 35 Summilux pre-asph, but as I’ve said on a number of occasions, I find it a tricky beast.  I don’t get all breathless over “Leica glow”, character and the other nonsense which you read about elsewhere.

While I agree with you that the wide open ceiling of the pre asph and understand that it was unwanted, I quite enjoy it and disagree that it is non sense. And unlike what I’ve read before, you can’t replicate it with the clarity and texture sliders in LR. 

22 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

As for @Steven, I find no point in personal exchanges, and what anyone else thinks of me on the internet is of supreme indifference

I think nothing of you. 

8 minutes ago, Artin said:

I just do not understand what the heck is so special about the steel rim to be worth that kind of coin. people are insane when it comes to collecting..

Why do people pay 20k for a BP 50 APO instead of 6k for a regular version ? Same reason than people pay for the steel rim. Partly. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Artin said:

Its just nuts .. 20K for black paint.. this I just don't get ? well I have never been a collector of anything in my life just can't justify paying that kind of money for a useless difference like black paint 

Arthur,

There’s photography, and collection - sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don’t.  I applaud anyone who buys something they like - for example this “steel rim”, which seems to be a 35 Summilux pre-asph with a steel front rim (I’d never heard of it before, to be honest) - and then they use it.

Collecting is another itch I don’t have either - not to be confused with buying more gear than you actually need, which I am guilty of.

John

PS - we cross posted.  I’m in the happy majority who look at a photo and don’t think “wow, that must have been taken with a steel rim”.  But, I know I have taken pictures with a camera or a lens I like, and it gives me pleasure.  Mostly, I haven’t seen a photo taken with an old lens that wouldn’t have been better taken with a more modern one, or with a Canon, Nikon or whatever - not to say these old lens photos aren’t good; just the lens has played a subsidiary role to the skill of the photographer.

That said, @JeffoJeffo’s photos with weird and wonderful lenses in the old glass thread are very interesting.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Artin said:

Steven I bet anything there is probably not a single person in this world that can tell the difference in the Image between a steel rim and the V2 

Or the AA and the asph. 

Yes, sometimes I can. But it's definitely not worth the difference in price, if you just base yourself on the image. And sometimes, the cheaper one is nicer! 

But we've had this debate over and over and over again, and personally, I'm tired of it. Some like to read time on a swatch, others on a Patek. Both read the same time. Both feel different. Both are right. 

• Like 3