35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, ianman said:

...worse/best, again are not appropriate terms IMO. They would certainly not have the same mood if taken with a modern lens...

...Would you prefer to listen to Bach played by an ensemble using period instruments or the same music played by Wendy Carlos on a modular Synthesizer?...

Agree fully with the first bit. The famous snap of Sir John Herschel by J. M. Cameron is a case in point. It might 'suffer' from many different technical inadequacies but as a portrait of the sitter? Utterly sublime. Can't imagine what it would have been like taken on an M10-R at f8 with a 50mm APO Summicron...

As far as the second bit goes we could well go off at a strange tangent (considering the OP) but it would be naive to believe that the composers of the day didn't strive for 'better' instruments than what was currently available. Beethoven (I do know just how much you like the 'Romantics', Ian!) being one of the most vociferous in his search for what he considered to be neccessary improvements in the area of pianos especially. The Stradivarius violins are reckoned - by many of the top players - to be tonally slightly inferior to instruments by the likes of Amati and Guarneri. Where the 'Strad' scores heavily is that by using a slightly different constructional design Stradivari's instruments were considerably louder and could be heard more clearly in the recent (at the time) trend for having larger and larger concert halls.

Oh, and by the way; I do rather enjoy the Jaques Loussier Trio's rendition of many of J.S. Bach's stuff when I'm in the right mood...

Going on-topic just for a mo' I've just picked up a '74 35 Summilux and I can see it will be giving my 40mm f1.4 Voigt. Nokton some worries in the 'favourite' stakes.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ianman said:

I have no idea about the lenses. I’ll take a look at that. I’ve always assumed he used glass rather than film but again, I really have no idea.
I reckon quite a lot went on in the darkroom, hand colouring The Pond prints for a start. This is partly why I mentioned that my comparison may be cheating somewhat. My suggestion of period instrument or synth was in direct response to you first comment which was:

Maybe I misunderstood that.

A more modern instrument isn’t necessarily electronic …

21 minutes ago, pippy said:

I do know just how much you like the 'Romantics', Ian!

😂

21 minutes ago, pippy said:

it would be naive to believe that the composers of the day didn't strive for 'better' instruments than what was currently available.

Did they have a SUF (Stradivarius Users Forum) and get into snail mail fights about the rumoured forthcoming Stradilux?

I may have not made my point very well but it was not about what was available at the time, be it instruments or lenses. But rather that a modern electronic instrument or modern lens, due to their more perfect design are less suited for the piece of music/photo created.

Anyway its just an opinion, not at matter of life and death, there is no right or wrong. I’m just happy to be able to have a good and interesting discussion with you and John. Something of a rarity on LUF these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

A more modern instrument isn’t necessarily electronic …

:) no but it wouldn’t be much of an argument if I had written a 17th century violin and an 18th century violin ( although I’m sure Philip will have something to say about that). I made the difference radical to make the point more obvious.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ianman said:

...Did they have a SUF (Stradivarius Users Forum) and get into snail mail fights about the rumoured forthcoming Stradilux?...

Yes!

Apparently the most popular threads were those along the lines of "What colour of rosin would you recommend for my bow if I use cat-gut strings?"...

Philip.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, ianman said:

:) no but it wouldn’t be much of an argument if I had written a 17th century violin and an 18th century violin ( although I’m sure Philip will have something to say about that). I made the difference radical to make the point more obvious.

You’re arguing with yourself, in that case, Ian!

2 hours ago, 803CGN said:

Bought 35 f1.4 Summilux in '65 with first M. Flat images. Soft. Traded it quickly for Summicron. Happy move.  

I prefer the Summilux at F2 over the Summicron at F2. F1.4 is just bonus when the scenario can welcome softness! 

• Like 5

At Night

M10-R, V2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 803CGN said:

Bought 35 f1.4 Summilux in '65 with first M. Flat images. Soft. Traded it quickly for Summicron. Happy move.  

At f/1.4, probably true. But if one need a 35 f/1.4 in 1965, the competition was.....? ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 803CGN said:

Bought a 1974 35mm Summilux three days ago. Nice contrast to the images. Sharp and with very much hoped-for 'glow'. Keeping it. Happy move.

FWIW the very first snap taken (f1.4 1/4000 @ ISO 200; M-D Typ-262) purely as a test-frame so no points for artistic content whatsoever but "flat" or "soft" it ain't;

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, pippy said:

Bought a 1974 35mm Summilux three days ago. Nice contrast to the images. Sharp and with very much hoped-for 'glow'. Keeping it. Happy move.

FWIW the very first snap taken (f1.4 1/4000 @ ISO 200; M-D Typ-262) purely as a test-frame so no points for artistic content whatsoever but "flat" or "soft" it ain't;

Philip.

Brilliant, welcome to the Pre Asph family! what is it replacing ? 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Brilliant, welcome to the Pre Asph family! what is it replacing ? 

Thank-you Steven. I have yourself and all the others who have been posting in this thread to thank!

It isn't replacing anything; it's augmenting a '54 Summaron (M) f3.5 which I've been using for over 40 years. So far I've not been able to use it much - the snap above was taken as a test-frame literally on my way home after the purchase - but from what I've seen so far I suspect it might replace my long-term #1 lens in the favourite stakes.

Philip.

• Like 1

35:1.4 v2 Titan on Tri-X 

• Like 12

Xmas decorations are now appearing over the city. Covent Garden at twighlight yesterday. '74 35mm Summilux on M-D Typ-262;

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

35 Summilux pre asph v2 1981 on M10-P ASC

27 minutes ago, Artin said:

Same day same scene shot with the Summilux 50 asph this is actually 3 frames later 

The wider rendition is more pleasing, but it does go to show that content and composition is everything!

My 35 pre-asph is a later model, made in 1987 (don’t know which version, which batch, and don’t care really).  It came with the hood and a Leica UV filter in the hood (not the screw in type).  I am suspecting that the filter is responsible for the flare.  When I was young(er), my father used to encourage me to fit UV filters to all my lenses to protect the front element.  I have since moved away from that, favouring lens hoods instead.  Does anyone else have experience of these filters on the 35 pre-asph - it’s a Leitz Serie 7 UVa filter?

Edited by IkarusJohn