If you have a 135mm lens, how often do you use it?

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the word which means “the expressing of an affirmative by the negative of its contrary“?

The contrapositive?

Proposition: "All Leica 135s are good."

Conditional: "If lens is a Leica 135, it is good."

Contrapositive: "If a lens is not good, it is not a Leica 135."

;)

• Like 1

My questions are for those of you who own a 135mm lens (any type) that you mount on an M camera body:

1)    How often do you use this lens?

2)    Primarily for what purposes?

3)    Do you find that a Visoflex 020 (or other) EVF is highly advisable for focusing?

I have four 135mm lenses that I could mount on my M10 camera body provided I use the correct FotoDiox adapter:

Asahi 135mm f/3.5 Super Takumar

Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 AIS

Nikkor 135mm f/2 AIS

Zeiss 135mm f/2  APO Sonnar ZF 2

I could use them for portraits, reportage, and stage work on my M10 using the LCD for focusing and composing but rarely do.

I use my 135 for getting closer,  if my feet wont do it, also  for a bit of pictorial compression, and some times but not often portraits

I have had various 135s now use a late Tele-Elmar  In my experience 135s are not the easiest  lenses with which to  nail focus;  especially  wide open using the coupled range finder, I sent my 135  back to Wetzlar  this year to get it adjusted to my M10's range finder.   Which  it now sorta is. I find if you  want to shoot  the 135 wide open then the EVF is essential on the M10, and makes  it easy to  focus this lens,  (As you would expect this is a back focusing digital issue not a problem  with film on  my M3).  When traveling  the 135 lens is the one I  use least , but always  have a 90mm  with me, and or pack the Apo 100 2.8 R  and Apo extender. Leica 135s can be great lenses, I just don't use them enough to justify either a new or used  Apo-Telyt 135, for that kind of money  would go for a Nikon 135 f2 and  use that on my M10 and Nikon kit.  Rangefinders were never the best form of focusing for longer lenses which  is why , Leitz, and Zeiss  built reflex housings in  the first place, and I ,- but that's just me -,  would  not  use a  135 on the M10 without the  EVF unless the lens was well stopped down.

Stopping down isn't illegal or immoral.

I used my 135 APO Telyt this evening to take a shot of the drought affects South Downs. We have hardly had a splash of rain in Sussex since the start of May.

Very unusual and worth recording. Great for hay making and growing vines that produce better sparkles than Champagne but everything is struggling that normally grows well in a temperate zone.

I can't post a photo on here because of size limitation ao look at my Flickr account.

David,   I use the 135mm APO-Telyt nearly daily in my landscape work with the M10 and M246.  It is more than exceptional; the results are often stunning.  The color, contrast, detail and rendering with this lens continually grabs my clients attention and image sales with this lens for me, are proof it delivers.  I use both the rangefinder and EVF.  Best yet, it is lightweight and it makes a big difference for me when hiking long distance.  I have owned the S and SL systems, both most excellent, but heavy and a burden when long-distances are involved.  Bottomline, the M system and in this case, the 135 APO fills the bill for me.  r/ Mark 

• Like 5

An early 60’s 3.5 LTM which has surprising good IQ, but I just don’t like carrying a lens that big. Can generally crop from my Elmarit-M (last version) 90, if needed.

Edited by mdemeyer

I've used mine again this evening for landscape photos. The great landscape photographer, Charlie Waite, often used long lenses with his Hasselblad camera and never minded using a tripod and F/22. His work is a testimony to the art of using the materials available to their limits. Any lens is a vehicle. If you want 'fast' use it wide open. If you want depth then close it down as far as it will go. I'm no spring chicken and still a learner. I'd rather continue to learn from Charlie Waite than from a speed fan. Bokeh is shallow like modern music compared with the depth of classical orchestral music. Your opinion may vary.

• Like 1

M10 + 1970 Tele-Elmar 1:4 135mm, from last week.

1) I do not use it often. But often enough to order a used R-180mm.

2) Landscape at infinity. 90% I would think. I also use it to stitch together several pictures to make more MP.

3) I have ordered a Visoflex 020. I do not think it is necessary for a 135mm, but I think i will need it for the 180.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

M240 with Hektor 135mm 4.5 from the 1950's.  Not used very often, but nice to have in the camera bag.  This lens was recently CLA'd by YYE.

• Like 3

Have the 135f2.8 primarily because it was reasonably priced and the longest focal length available for using the M rangefinder.  I know it is big and heavy but so is a Noctilux.  Since I don't carry a SLR anymore, I usually have it in the camera bag.  And no it does not get used as much as my 35, 50 or 90 but I am glad I have it as an option.

• Like 1

I have the Elmarit, rarely use it, but I usually travelled with it “just in case” I needed it. Years ago I unfortunately sold my Télé-Elmar, then purchased the Elmarit a few years later for a particular project. I recently purchased the 90 Macro-Elmar and that means that the 135 will remain in the studio while I am out.

Just saw your question.

Having been an M user for near 40 years have most focal lengths. Tend to view some photo settings as mostly wide angle, 35-50 and others telephoto. Fact is use all my lenses over time so no hard and fast rules with lenses.

Did acquire a used but current 135 lens a few years ago as do use 135 less than other lenses; and a number of used ones available in great condition at much better price than new.

1) Use135 lens infrequently but would not give it up. Originally lugged M and SLR Leica’s on trips (climbing Wall in China comes to mind). When M 240 arrived lugged adapter, Visoflex and SLR lenses with double extender. Found still quite heavy and barely worth the effort.

That’s when got current 135 and found it a much lighter system using cropping as needed. Elegant solution all around. And yes life is a series of compromises and this one works great. Get medium long length, lighter kit and high quality and shooting agility.

2) Use 135 for longer distances mostly (not closeups as much). As others noted use 90 with cropping if not sure need to cover longer distances. Think of 135 as equivalent to 180 lens or longer by cropping. So may not crop 135 or may crop a fair amount. You know when you’d wish a longer telephoto.

3) Used Viso on M240 occasionally. Not great. With M10 just use viewfinder. No trouble focusing. Photos of swooping eagles nice to see around focus area for example. Never had trouble focusing my 135s. Do use Live View for 24 and 18 and suppose maybe 135 if thought an advantage.

To sum up, find our needs and focus change over time. If you are comfortable spending the funds suspect you will get utility from the 135.

• Like 1

Just saw your question.

Having been an M user for near 40 years have most focal lengths. Tend to view some photo settings as mostly wide angle, 35-50 and others telephoto. Fact is use all my lenses over time so no hard and fast rules with lenses.

Did acquire a used but current 135 lens a few years ago as do use 135 less than other lenses; and a number of used ones available in great condition at much better price than new.

1) Use135 lens infrequently but would not give it up. Originally lugged M and SLR Leica’s on trips (climbing Wall in China comes to mind). When M 240 arrived lugged adapter, Visoflex and SLR lenses with double extender. Found still quite heavy and barely worth the effort.

That’s when got current 135 and found it a much lighter system using cropping as needed. Elegant solution all around. And yes life is a series of compromises and this one works great. Get medium long length, lighter kit and high quality and shooting agility.

2) Use 135 for longer distances mostly (not closeups as much). As others noted use 90 with cropping if not sure need to cover longer distances. Think of 135 as equivalent to 180 lens or longer by cropping. So may not crop 135 or may crop a fair amount. You know when you’d wish a longer telephoto.

3) Used Viso on M240 occasionally. Not great. With M10 just use viewfinder. No trouble focusing. Photos of swooping eagles nice to see around focus area for example. Never had trouble focusing my 135s. Do use Live View for 24 and 18 and suppose maybe 135 if thought an advantage.

To sum up, find our needs and focus change over time. If you are comfortable spending the funds suspect you will get utility from the 135.

Thanks.  After reading your post, I decided to find a used one.  I just bought it from Leica Store Miami, advertised in excellent condition, and at 45% of new lens price.

• Like 1

135mm is great for capturing long distance shots with ease. Sometimes you cannot move closer to the object. Today a Spitfire flew over, based at Goodwood, but I was outside without a camera and without the 135mm attached.

Missed opportunity! That's life, but I'd never have captured the throaty roar whatever lens I could have used ... unless I had used video.

135 APO 3.4, M8,2 in high contrast and strong sun, Dranouter, Belgium; I prefer this lens to the 90 APO.

• Like 3

135 3.4 APO, M8,2 Spontaneous pose

• Like 2