Swinging pola filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When looking at images of filter I had in my collection, I found two swinging polarizing filters, The first was easily identified : the FILPO/13390 swing-out, A36 slip-on mount with clamping screw, marked E.Leitz New-York.

The second one is originally marked in my files as POOTR/13352. It is A42 and incorporates a shade, but I did not find its mention in Laney.

Any comment or confirmation?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hello Pierre,

If you lock the 13352 on an A42 lens with the "P" up at the top as you look over the camera & lens from the back: The "swing out" portion of polarizing filter & lens shade will swing right up to the viewfinder window. Right where it should be for you to turn it in order to align the polarizing filter appropriately. And then swing it back to "click" it into place.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Photo is 90 degrees rotated, can't seem to correct.

The 13351 is middle left for E43.

Top is a New York swing-in for the Summitar will not fit Summarit.

Middle Right is a New York 36mm swing-in in chrome.

Lower right is Screw-in polarizer for Summarit  XQIOO.

Lower left is Screw-in polarizer for Summilux.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is your image "rotated", Alan. And I add an image I found of the screw-in version of the A36 yellow 1 filter I had.

• Thanks 1

Hello Again Pierre,

Did you also have the A45, 13351 for the E43, 50mm Summilux & the A43, 13360 for the E41, 50mm Summarit?

Best Regards,

Michael

No, Michael, sorry. At least, I cannot find images in my archives. Now, I have to confess filters never attracted much interest when I was an active collector...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Pierre,

The 13351 A45, E43 for the 50mm, F1.4 Summilux is in Alan's Post #4 that you were nice enough to turn around in your Post #5, just above.

The 13352 & 13351 illustrated in this Thread here along with the 13360 A43, E41 sibling that was made for the 50mm, F1.5 Summarit: I found in a 1968 Schmidt, Hong Kong version of the then current Leitz Dealer Catalog. All 3 listed together in the Filter Section. 

I wonder if Jean Claude might have a 13360?

One other thought: When looking thru the German Section of the Wiki at the top of this page: It would appear that the POOTR Polarizer is not the same as a 13352, as you had thought, but was: The E39 predecessor to the 13352. It has numbers engraved around the perimeter to make it easier to orient the polarizer.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the summitar Leitz NY polarizer. Shown.

Unfortunately it seems there is only a single filter glass. Rotating does not change the degree of polarization -- if this polarizer works like the ones I had from Nikon in which 2 plane polarizing filters could be arranged to essentially cancel transmission completely. Perhaps one of the glass elements was damaged and removed.

Hello Mick,

A 13352 polarizing filter is a "sandwich". It is 2 layers of glass with a layer of Polascreen in between. They all rotate as a unit when you turn the filter.

And you can definitely see the Polarizing effect changing the scene as you look thru the actual filter while you are rotating it. Unless it is a situation like a cloudy day when there is no appropriate light.

On a 13352 there is NOT a second filter to rotate to shut out all of the light. Just 1 filtering screen where the Polarizing effect changes as you rotate it.

The filter in your photo looks cloudy. A 13352 is a clear filter which appears gray. And the image thru it is perfectly sharp.

Are there any engravings on the filter?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Mick,

I think that if you attach the filter with the "P" straight up, you will notice that when you swing out the filter it stops right where it should. At least that is what happens with a 13352.

You might be able to disassemble the filter "sandwich" & replace the Polascreen with a new piece of Polarized film.

Best Regards,

Michael

Nothing "swinging", but yesterday, when opening a forgotten drawer, I found a polarizing filter in new condition : E44 graduated, rotating screw-in mount nº 13358. It is in a very nice semi-transparent plastic box. Here are the images I took.

I have one in A36 clamp-on fit, marked. P. E Leitz New York.

It works correctly though I have not used it yet.

Because the swinging action goes round 180 degrees between viewing and taking positions the polarisation effect will be the same in both positions.

Hello Mick,

If you look in Pierre's Post #1 above at the 13352:

If you first attach a 13352 to the lens so that the "P" is straight up: Then, when you swing the filter out so that it is directly in front of the "M" viewfinder window: You can rotate the filter while looking thru the viewfinder: In order to find the effect that you prefer.

Then you swing the filter back over the lens. The filter is now oriented to produce the scene with the degree of Polarization that you have chosen while looking thru the viewfinder window.

Nifty.  

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...

Is it my imagination, or do these filters perform more "strongly" than ordinary polarizing filters?  When in India, I got a "pola" filter for my Fuji X100.  It works, but the Leica filter works better.  Maybe it's again a case of "you get what you pay for", and the Leica filters are definitely not inexpensive.

Interesting to see this material. Does any of you use them regularly? I only have the less sophisticated nit swinging polaroid filter with inscription "5 cm Summicron P", apart from the Ernst Leitz inscription. I must admit I haven't used it in years, but this thread reminds me to take it with me more often.

Lex

Hello Lex,

The engraving "P" or "P." is usually an orientation point: Attach the filter to the lens with the "P." or "P" straight up at the top of the lens & then, when you swing the filter out it positions the filter directly over the viewfinder window.

Then: Rotate the filter until you obtain the desired effect.

Then : Swing the filter back over the lens without rotating it any more.

Then: Take the picture. The polarizing filter is adjusted so that the lens "sees" what you saw thru the viewfinder window.

Best Regards,

Michael

On 1/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, MikeMyers said:

Is it my imagination, or do these filters perform more "strongly" than ordinary polarizing filters?  When in India, I got a "pola" filter for my Fuji X100.  It works, but the Leica filter works better.  Maybe it's again a case of "you get what you pay for", and the Leica filters are definitely not inexpensive.

No it is not your imagination. These filters (even the current one) are linear filters which can be slightly more effective than circular ones.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:20 AM, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Lex,

The engraving "P" or "P." is usually an orientation point: Attach the filter to the lens with the "P." or "P" straight up at the top of the lens & then, when you swing the filter out it positions the filter directly over the viewfinder window.

Then: Rotate the filter until you obtain the desired effect.

Then : Swing the filter back over the lens without rotating it any more.

Then: Take the picture. The polarizing filter is adjusted so that the lens "sees" what you saw thru the viewfinder window.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, on my circular pol filter the "P." is only part of the inscription on the inside. To be complete it says: "Ernst Leitz Gmbh Wetzlar Germany" and "5 cm Summicron P.". The actual use works with a red dot: you turn the filter in front of your eye to the desired efect, then check which number is on top, screw the filter in place and align the number with the red dot.

Lex

• Thanks 1