Filter for summaron 28mm

antonioxrosa

I’m in Australia and could not find one for love nor money here.

In the end I was fortunate enough to get a Tiffen and a Heliopan as protective UV filters from B&H. Always good to have a spare. I thought if I damage one I’ll need another as backup.

I have no affiliation with any brands mentioned.

Filter protects - no loss of detail or distortion noticed. 

Love my Summaron 28. Favourite lens. Renders magical results (to me). A jewel of a lens. Outshines my Q3 Summilux f1.7 in my eyes with full bodied ‘rich’ detail @5.6 and f8 (YMMV).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

In the end I was fortunate enough to get a Tiffen and a Heliopan as protective UV filters from B&H. Always good to have a spare. I thought if I damage one I’ll need another as backup.

Love my Summaron 28. Favourite lens. Renders magical results (to me). A jewel of a lens. Outshines my Q3 Summilux f1.7 in my eyes with full bodied ‘rich’ detail @5.6 and f8 (YMMV).

Thanks for you input. I assume those filters are black right?..I am looking for something in silver

18 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

Just my 2 cents: The Summaron is such a beautiful lens that should be used without any protection filter that just will make that lens ugly. And to be sincere: How many lenses did you scratch in the past? Maybe a finger print from time to time.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, M11 for me said:

How many lenses did you scratch in the past?

It is not just about the scratching. When a lens falls nose down on a surface, the filter usually takes the burden and absorbs the impact. That is the main reason I still use filters on ALL my lenses. Saved several of them this way.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/10/2024 at 10:29 PM, Al Brown said:

It is not just about the scratching. When a lens falls nose down on a surface, the filter usually takes the burden and absorbs the impact. That is the main reason I still use filters on ALL my lenses. Saved several of them this way.

What I have done with some old (green- and tungsten-) E39 filters from film time, take the glass out and use it on the front of the lens. Impact resistance, and finger-jab resistance. 
looking at the pseudo unavailability of E34, it would have been a nice commercial gesture of Leica to include it - there is enough room in the slim box; as it stands it is already the most expensive lens:  €2.800 for maybe less than twenty gram finely ground glass. 🤑

Edited by Alberti

On 2/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, Al Brown said:

I dropped one lens in 55 years of Leica use - about 4 ft. to a wood floor. No visible damage, but the focus helicoid was tight and uneven. I doubt if a filter would have helped. The repair cost less than filters for all my Leica lenses...

6 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

I dropped one lens in 55 years of Leica use - about 4 ft. to a wood floor. No visible damage, but the focus helicoid was tight and uneven. I doubt if a filter would have helped. The repair cost less than filters for all my Leica lenses...

It is true, the damage totally depends on the drop, and the filter can only help in Nose down falls. Luckily, I have had three of the latter variant.