About posting images here

tashley

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK we should remove all catagories and just post everything under one Leica Forum. In fact just call it the Forum and allow threads about any topic.

That's not such a bad idea. A even better solution would be two categories - 'interesting threads' and 'less interesting threads'. All the "just got an M8...", "should I buy the Noct as well as the 'lux", "what profile should I use in Lightroom.." and "here's a few with the 75.." threads can go in the latter section.

That's not such a bad idea. A even better solution would be two categories - 'interesting threads' and 'less interesting threads'. All the "just got an M8...", "should I buy the Noct as well as the 'lux", "what profile should I use in Lightroom.." and "here's a few with the 75.." threads can go in the latter section.

Better yet ... we should compile a FAQ for this forum and force people to read it ... only those who can correctly answer (for example) 10 questions at least, can then be allowed to go into the interesting threads section. LOL

I know that forum guidelines are for images to be posted in the photo forum but I personally like it when people post images here, as long as they are M8 or M8-related. Keeping tabs on too many forums is time-consuming and the more I get to know the people here, the more I enjoy seeing their images and reading their opinions as part of the same process of communication.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Tim

I quite agree - I already spend too much time browsing forums, and it's nice to see photos taken with the M8 on the M8 forum.

You are doing yourself a great dis-service by posting this here. Honestly.

But what do I care. If you want to share your work with a small sub-set of the Leica community, that's your prerogative. ;)

But what do I care. If you want to share your work with a small sub-set of the Leica community, that's your prerogative. ;)

Sorry Andy - perhaps I was being glib - I'm not really sure I need to share it at all (and I certainly don't need comments). But I agree with Tim, and feel that it's one of the reasons why Guy's posts are so popular.

Surprising, in a way, that no one has posted a photo to provoke interchange on whether or not it is pertinent to a discussion of whether it is appropriate to post photographs here....

I did, and got immediately slapped down, so I took it away.

Jono--

I wonder what would be appropriate content....

Great website, by the way.

Regards,

Norm

LOL - well, obviously not something that looked like badly executed HDR with the tones all wrong!

Thanks for your message, you made me feel better, it's not comfortable to be dismissed quite so quickly!

Maybe the right photo would be of someone crouched over a computer in a darkened room!

Personally I never go to the Photo Forum, only here. I am interested in what is going on with the M8, Good Bad or Ugly and the photos related. If I went to the Photo Forum trying to find out that same information, I would lose interest. I like one stop shopping I guess and the M8 forum is the place. Keep posting as far as I am concerned even if it is the kids, your dog or 4th of July fireworks.

This is what I meant by M8 cult... pretty sad really. It's only a tool, a good one but a tool. As if there was nothing else but the M8 on the forum. BTW, Guy's original thread on the DMR on FM dwarfs anything written here so far. So the popularity of Guy's threads may have more to do with Guy's generous sharing of information than with anything else. :)

Cheers,

I like one stop shopping I guess and the M8 forum is the place.

I can't understand why my original idea hasn't been taken up! It's all so obvious - abolish all separate websites, threads, posts - just have one big stew of M8 mush - dammit, if it's got anything to do with the M8, or Germany or Porsche or some random lens that someone's just bought and stuck on their M8 to take a snapshot that looks exactly like every other snapshot you've ever seen them take - put it in the same d*mn thread!!

Photography? G*ddarn rubbish! If it's not a Porsche or an M8, I'm just not interested!

Absolutely right Andy

Andy - I understand your reaction - but I would be sorry to see what is effectively "dumbing down" of a quality forum (Unlike most other photo sites) for the benefit of the pixel-peepers.

I actually find it pretty sad that people only want to look at photographs from an M8, just as I found it pretty sad when it was suggested that the photo forum be split into digital and non-digital sections so that people could restrict what they looked at to 'real' non-digital photographs and not have their sensibilities upset by having to look at digital images.

I can totally understand the desire to see images to help explain a technical point, but other than that I think things are fine as they are. The alternative seems to indicate more of an interest in cameras than photography IMHO.

I can totally understand the desire to see images to help explain a technical point, but other than that I think things are fine as they are. The alternative seems to indicate more of an interest in cameras than photography IMHO.

I see it exactly the other way around: this forum was at its very most useful when most of us were grappling with the Big Questions (should I send it for the fix,use filters, hand-code, trust my lenses etc etc) and now we get quite a lot of bag threads and so on. My contention is simply that the camera is there to take photos with and that too much discussion of technicalities, techniques and accessories is sterile and barren without images.

In other words, it is a forum WITHOUT images that 'indicates more of an interest in cameras than in photography.'

Naturally I would prefer there to be a balance, and to look mostly at images that are well seen and well executed but given the fact that we have different levels of ability and different kinds of aesthetic here, some tolerance would be useful.

One thing I do know: the number of sneering comments along the lines of 'I could have done that on my cellphone' would be more limited than elsewhere, because by and large trolls don't breath the atmosphere here too well and rarely get fed!

My 2 cents

Tim