Shooting Wide Open

bpftc

I have been trying Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa‘s style but with the bad weather giving reduced roaming time i’ve not found the right expanse of empty pavement yet. The idea is to tilt the camera down so that the lower two thirds of the frame is bland tarmac or other dull surface. All other features are irrelevant; the picture should hit you with a low level of dreariness. Such a soulful man.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im with Thirsty VonOverboard on this one. Id say Im shooting 95% of the time wide open.  I just love that D.O.F., that's one of the great qualities of Leica lenses. The depth of field is where the magic is in my mind.  No?  Having said that, i don't think anyone will be struck down by lightening by squeezing a Noctilux down to F16 from time to time under the right conditions.  Sometimes even Ferrari's have to drive at the speed limit.  No?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JohnnySeven
  • Like 1

Im with Thirsty VonOverboard on this one. Id say Im shooting 95% of the time wide open.  I just love that D.O.F., that's one of the great qualities of Leica lenses. The depth of field is where the magic is in my mind.  No?  Having said that, i don't think anyone will be struck down by lightening by squeezing a Noctilux down to F16 from time to time under the right conditions.  Sometimes even Ferrari's have to drive at the speed limit.  No?

Nice flying saucer

• Like 4

I was reading some Thorsten Overgaard and he mentioned he always shoots wide open. His theory is, why pay for a Noctilux if you are always stopped down to f/4.  So it got me thinking, does everyone generally subscribe to this same idea? Shoot wide open whenever possible?

For portraiture of a single person I only very rarely see a good reason to stop down.

Sometimes, especially with family portraits, I stop down until the wrinkles go away. :)

Shooting wide-open as a default presumes one does not care about incidental context which is not acceptable to me. Just saying. And I have plenty of ƒ1.0 and faster lenses. Enjoy your options. (As a photojournalism and news photo editor I despised wide-open unless it was a pragmatic necessity.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Sometimes, especially with family portraits, I stop down until the wrinkles go away. :)

Shooting wide-open as a default presumes one does not care about incidental context which is not acceptable to me. Just saying. And I have plenty of ƒ1.0 and faster lenses. Enjoy your options. (As a photojournalism and news photo editor I despised wide-open unless it was a pragmatic necessity.)

I agree wholeheartedly. Even for portraits I usually shoot at f/4 or stopped down even further.

• Like 1

Nope

;-)

Ps. Seriously this man is a total joker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of human beings are jokers. But not all. And it is very brave to call others „jokers“ as long as you do not know yourself to what group you belong yourself.

I sometimes use the possible soft focus effect of my Nikon AF 105mm f2 DC for getting rid of (or toning down) wrinkles.

Stopping down to f/16 however is evil and I hope you're joking.

Ears and nose out of focus? It is a portrait cliché I rather dislike.

For that to happen you need to shoot really close with a really bright glas. I dont have such glas and I prefer to keep a certain distance to the subject.

Stop wasting away reading the mutterings of Thorsten. The man is a fraud.

Did you mean to be so rude?

I take it you disagree with his opinions. Thats is fine, I don't agree with all his opinions either, but he is entitled to them and he is not disparaging anybody else.

• Like 5

Did you mean to be so rude?

I take it you disagree with his opinions. Thats is fine, I don't agree with all his opinions either, but he is entitled to them and he is not disparaging anybody else.

Thanks for your enlightening input...

Why do feel the need to lecture me? Did I prevent him from his opinion(s)? No I did not.