Shooting Wide Open

bpftc

I was reading some Thorsten Overgaard and he mentioned he always shoots wide open. His theory is, why pay for a Noctilux if you are always stopped down to f/4.  So it got me thinking, does everyone generally subscribe to this same idea? Shoot wide open whenever possible?

I do not always shoot wide open with my f/1.0 Noctilux; sometimes a smaller aperture works best for what I am trying to accomplish in a particular image.  I would say that I shoot wide open perhaps 70-75% of the time but I will shoot stopped down when it serves my purposes to do so.

Thorsten has his ideas and they are usually reasonably well thought out but they are not the immutable laws of the universe.  In photography as in life, it is important to learn to think for yourself.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

I am fortunate to own a Porsche, Ferrari and a Range Rover. None of which I have to, or will drive wide open all the time. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you always should.

That said, I only shoot my 0.95 Noctilux wide open 🤦‍♂️

Edited by gwelland
  • Haha 1

I've been looking at Mark de Paola's photos and he's a Noctilux user. His style is the opposite of my natural inclination towards important (imo) context and careful/thoughtful composition (move yourself or your subject if there's a tree coming out of heads - vs blurring it). But that's also my street style vs his fashion style. 

However his photos to me are intriguing (perhaps simply due to subject matter...).

He has referenced a couple books that I recently bought used, having to do with how the eye and brain perceives the world, and scientists have found (apologies for lame reference) that much of our emotion lies in our peripheral vision and 'out of focus' parts. Which in Mark's view leads him towards the Noctilux style image. 

I'm intrigued, as I would like to impart emotion into my images, yet relying on an almost out of reach ($$) specific lens to do so is again, intriguing yet dubious. 

Just commenting here because I'm willing to dive into the wide-open world, and find the 'reasons' to be fascinating, yet on one hand I also feel it's harder to NOT shoot wide open and making intriguing, emotional images.

thoughts?

brian 

Edited by bdolzani

7 hours ago, gwelland said:

I am fortunate to own a Porsche, Ferrari and a Range Rover. None of which I have to, or will drive wide open all the time. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you always should.

That said, I only shoot my 0.95 Noctilux wide open 🤦‍♂️

We can shake hands. I have a Fiat 500, two cylindros.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bdolzani said:

I've been looking at Mark de Paola's photos and he's a Noctilux user. His style is the opposite of my natural inclination towards important (imo) context and careful/thoughtful composition (move yourself or your subject if there's a tree coming out of heads - vs blurring it). But that's also my street style vs his fashion style. 

However his photos to me are intriguing (perhaps simply due to subject matter...).

He has referenced a couple books that I recently bought used, having to do with how the eye and brain perceives the world, and scientists have found (apologies for lame reference) that much of our emotion lies in our peripheral vision and 'out of focus' parts. Which in Mark's view leads him towards the Noctilux style image. 

I'm intrigued, as I would like to impart emotion into my images, yet relying on an almost out of reach ($$) specific lens to do so is again, intriguing yet dubious. 

Just commenting here because I'm willing to dive into the wide-open world, and find the 'reasons' to be fascinating, yet on one hand I also feel it's harder to NOT shoot wide open and making intriguing, emotional images.

thoughts?

brian 

Before I goggled Mark de Paola I already guessed the subject matter. David Hamilton did it with Vaseline on a $80 Minolta lens. If you don’t blur the naughty bits then it’s not really art I guess. I once did an experiment sampling nudie images from *cough*cough gentleman magazines and superimposed them by multiple exposures over shapes and colors to de-emphasise the sexy parts. Turned out quite well. 

• Like 1