Thambar-Crazy

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

a landscape view.. similar settings

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I've been busy lately so I'm still in the occasional snapshot testing phase. I still haven't got the filter out of the box yet. This is another of my patient daughter in the middle of making biscuits (she has flour and butter on her face). Probably around F2.6 or so, maybe F2.8 (to those unfamiliar with the lens, the aperture scale lends itself to very precise adjustment). Digital photo (M 240).

40257438765_2140328669_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 14

I quite like these, Albert. I intend to use the Thambar for not dissimilar subject matter though I'll probably try and rein in the 'Thambarness' a bit. My aim is for some glow but without too much of the 'veil'.

a landscape view.. similar settings

post-3686-0-70072600-1522539750.jpg

• Like 1

I quite like these, Albert. I intend to use the Thambar for not dissimilar subject matter though I'll probably try and rein in the 'Thambarness' a bit. My aim is for some glow but without too much of the 'veil'.

I agree with you.. these are initial experiments on landscapes MINUS the CSF.. The glow is king, removing the Veil is the goal!

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been busy lately so I'm still in the occasional snapshot testing phase. I still haven't got the filter out of the box yet. This is another of my patient daughter in the middle of making biscuits (she has flour and butter on her face). Probably around F2.6 or so, maybe F2.8 (to those unfamiliar with the lens, the aperture scale lends itself to very precise adjustment). Digital photo (M 240).

40257438765_2140328669_b.jpg

This is a lovely photo Ian.

I'm interested to see you're trying to "rein in the 'Thambarness' a bit".  And I suspect being B&W helps a bit in that respect.  But your restraint does seem to be getting the best out of this strange lens.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of frequency separation before, so I had a look on YT. It didn't take 5 minutes that I was bored beyond belief.

I have nothing whatsoever against post-processing be it in the darkroom or on the computer. But to me this technique (frequency separation) goes far beyond what I would call photography. It may well still be "drawing with light" but IMHO manipulating a photograph using this technique results in an image which is barely related to the original and is more CGI than photography.

Sorry for going OT.

I watched the YouTube Frequency Separation video right through and while I found it interesting it did no more than transform real skin into Barby-doll skin, which is not something that appeals to me at all.  I recall  much comment over the years as to how the mainstream DSLR cameras and lenses produce doll-like skin in portraits whereas those produced with Leica equipment present highly realistic skin (too realistic with some lenses and ladies of a certain age!) so, as a Leica user, Frequency Separation seems counter intuitive to me.

Pete.

Wow I’m impressed by how patient your daughter is. I hope she inherits your camera one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also noticed the correlation between the extent of glow/radiance and the distance to the subject.

They seem to be proportional...

The closer you go, the less the glow...

This relationship also holds true for luminosity. The more intense the light, the wilder the glow or radiance...

Albert

here is overcast shot at f/2.6 - 

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 2

here is another at low light...  f/2.8 -

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 2

and here, the sun comes out just a bit!

~f/3 -

Albert 

• Like 5

here is the picture in question.. notice the third trunk form left...

• Like 2