I'm also one of those "crazy ones" who purchased an M9 in 2022

twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, twogun said:

Interesting experience. I had the opposite experience with the the M262 as my first M digital body. It was an overall positive experience and enjoyed most aspects of the M262. I think at the time I  was coming from the Fuji X world where I was photographing extreme daylight, harsh shadows and color scenes.  With that visual experience I felt the files from the M262 were very underwhelming even with Zeiss ZM lenses known for their color saturation. Great underrated M body nonetheless.

I too am/was a Fuji shooter. Actually I did gain some positive experience from the M9 in that the limitation of its dynamic range actually made me change the way I shoot and process my pictures. And that continues with the M262. Nowadays I'm happy to let my highlights blowout in sunny pictures because it adds to the feeling of climate in the scene. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Nothing crazy. The only digital M which is close to film M is M9 series. It could do only low ISO in color and slightly less ISO than film in BW. 

It won't replace film for its look (only if are self-eluded :) ), but is much closer to film Ms in handling, limitations and even how it is made (no odd wheel), original rangefinder,  traditional framelines selector, traditionally illuminated framelines.   

That's exactly what led me to it. Yep, it won't replace film but hoping that it gives me as close as possible to it.

Just reporting back on my initial purchase of the M9. The camera body was immaculate and it was sold to me as an M9 with sensor replacement done on it. It was smaller than I expected. Colors out the camera are great and as expected but.............. I did a few tests to for due diligence and here is what I found. If anyone thinks this could be something else other than corrosion (see pics) please feel free to let me know. I kept reading online that CCD 15 IDs like mine are not prone to sensor corrosion so I'm not sure if the vast information about CCD Id 15 is accurate.

I also did send an email to Leica directly asking for repair history on the camera since I did not get it with the purchase.  It's unfortunate but this might be my very short stint with the M9 -  Lucky i do have the option to return it for full refund which will be my next step. 😒

Hardware ID with

Firmware# 1.216

CCD ID: 15

CCD Board: 2 

Control BRD: 2

M16CID: 0

I photographed the blue sky at f16 with clean lens at iso 160 and i see what might be sensor corrosion. These were zoomed in Lightroom at zoom at 200x (pic#1) and zoom at 400x (pic#2)  (see photos attached) 

Edited by twogun

4 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Looks like dust on the sensor to me, have you tried to wet clean it?

Yep- I'm in the process of doing that now. Going to wet clean first and test again with 1 or 2 different lenses just to make sure it's not related dust in the lens itself. 

Edited by twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, twogun said:

Yep- I'm in the process of doing that now. Going to test again with 1 or 2 other lenses just to make sure it's not related dust in the lens etc.

Can't see it being dust in the lenses, I had similar on 2 of my 3 M9s all have second gen replacement sensor but like you I was worried about corrosion. I cleaned the sensors and have had no issues since, they were difficult to get clean it may have been oil specs or something but after about 4 tries I eventually got them clean. FWIW I have never had a single sweep clean any sensor on my cameras Leica or others sometimes you just move it around but patience paid off.

Unfortunately it is not looking hopeful. I'm familiar with cleaning sensors on my Sony A9 body so I was comfortable doing it. Luckily I have a stack of sensor cleaning kits around.  I did a careful 2nd & 3rd wet clean on the sensor and retested with the blue sky at f11 and f16 with IS0 160. The same same spots still show up on the sensor. Close inspection of the sensor with a magnifying glass with the naked eye does not have any visible corrosion but I'm dealing with either a stubborn oil spec, some sort of stain or an early stage of corrosion. I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment but a bit of disappointment nonetheless.

Here are the results after my 2nd round of testing. 1st pic at 200x zoom in Lr and the 2nd pic at 400x zoom 

Edited by twogun

1 hour ago, twogun said:

Unfortunately it is not looking hopeful. I'm familiar with cleaning sensors on my Sony A9 body so I was comfortable doing it. Luckily I have a stack of sensor cleaning kits around.  I did a careful 2nd & 3rd wet clean on the sensor and retested with the blue sky at f11 and f16 with IS0 160. The same same spots still show up on the sensor. Close inspection of the sensor with a magnifying glass with the naked eye does not have any visible corrosion but I'm dealing with either a stubborn oil spec, some sort of stain or an early stage of corrosion. I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment but a bit of disappointment nonetheless.

Here are the results after my 2nd round of testing. 1st pic at 200x zoom in Lr and the 2nd pic at 400x zoom 

@twogunTo me, the second pic1 is cleaner than first pic1, secondly, those dots on second one looks not at the same position as on first pic1. if that's true, in my opinion, those are unlikely corrosion. Instead, they might be oil-like stain because they moved after your cleaning. 

Edited by surfmanjoe
  • Like 1

Not corrosion "bits" * seen here.

For me these are dust on the glass cover, not on sensor.

Corrosion "bits" are so different than these spots, just clean them or have professional cleaning.

* just google to see how these "bits" look like

an example here

this link to the article

• Like 1

Thanks @a.noctilux & @TeleElmar135mmfor the feedback.

On the bright side I had a response back from Leica today confirming that the camera was CLA'd and sensor replaced in mid-2018. This leads me to to believe that you're right in that I'm dealing with stubborn dust or stain. I'm going to have the sensor cleaned professionally. Until then I will worry less about the sensor and try to enjoy it.

Edited by twogun
  • Like 2

I just picked one up. I have a m10 and an SL2-S as well. The m9 is a joy to shoot, I love the shutter noise, I love the files, size, everything but the screen, but who cares about the screen really. I don't chimp too much with my M bodies anyways.

• Like 7

On 2/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, twogun said:

Thanks @a.noctilux & @TeleElmar135mmfor the feedback.

On the bright side I had a response back from Leica today confirming that the camera was CLA'd and sensor replaced in mid-2018. This leads me to to believe that you're right in that I'm dealing with stubborn dust or stain. I'm going to have the sensor cleaned professionally. Until then I will worry less about the sensor and try to enjoy it.

How often do you shoot at F16? Most lenses, even Leica's, have the lowest IQ of the whole range there. In CaptureOne and  I trust in LR too, these dust spots can be repaired in a whistle for a whole series of photo's. These spots don't look as if they would be visible at 5.6, that's the critical point for me. Enjoy your Leica at wide apertures, that is one of the important reasons to prefer this brand above others! 

• Like 3