I'm also one of those "crazy ones" who purchased an M9 in 2022

twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, Prosophos said:

Not just you.  I just bought another M-E. 

I started my open letter to Leica in 2013 in an attempt to keep the M9 sensor alive:

https://prosophos.com/2013/11/16/an-open-letter-to-leica/

Leica never acknowledged the letter's existence, despite the fact that >700 photographers signed it.

At this point, do I think there's a chance that Leica will ever make this happen?

No.

But, it makes me happy to see this legendary camera continue to grow in its stature.

It also makes me happy to see more and more photographers appreciating it and celebrating its virtues.

—Peter.

I just bought an M9, to go along with the M-E :)

Both purchased in 2022.

—Peter.

Edited by Prosophos
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:14 PM, Ray Vonn said:

Ah - there are two of us then.

The M9's shutter sounds is greatly preferable to the gunshot of the Canon 5D Mark II, which my partner named, 'Clunk'. After shooting with the Panasonic S5 for several months, the 5D II really surprised me with its noise. I wouldn't say that I like the M9 shutter sound, but it isn't offensive by any means, especially when using delayed recock.

As for the M9 itself, I'm still using mine into its 12th year, and the files are just gorgeous. The S5 files are lovely and have much better dynamic range, but the M9 files have a special something which I have yet to replicate in another camera, even after 12 years.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Archiver said:

The M9's shutter sounds is greatly preferable to the gunshot of the Canon 5D Mark II, which my partner named, 'Clunk'. After shooting with the Panasonic S5 for several months, the 5D II really surprised me with its noise. I wouldn't say that I like the M9 shutter sound, but it isn't offensive by any means, especially when using delayed recock.

As for the M9 itself, I'm still using mine into its 12th year, and the files are just gorgeous. The S5 files are lovely and have much better dynamic range, but the M9 files have a special something which I have yet to replicate in another camera, even after 12 years.

"Gunshot " from 5D MKII? I'm sorry, it is just an absurd to me after I switched to it from 5D 😅  

Having used an M9-P for many years, all I can say is that it's a great camera and it takes wonderful photos with nice colors.

Just keep saying 'There are no pixels to see, only images.'

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 11:05 PM, Prosophos said:

100%

Peter, this may seem like a question with no immediate answer, but is there a camera that you would consider a reasonable replacement for the M9 in terms of colour and 'look'? I think you were quite fond of the Nikon D850 at one point, although you found your way back to an anthracite M9. Try as I might, I can't get the Panasonic S5 to look like the M9, even when using adapted M lenses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Archiver said:

Peter, this may seem like a question with no immediate answer, but is there a camera that you would consider a reasonable replacement for the M9 in terms of colour and 'look'? I think you were quite fond of the Nikon D850 at one point, although you found your way back to an anthracite M9. Try as I might, I can't get the Panasonic S5 to look like the M9, even when using adapted M lenses.

It's a good question!

I haven't found a camera that produces files that behave like M9 files, and I've used a lot of cameras.  I know objectively files from any other other current camera have greater dynamic range, detail, blah blah blah BUT...

...the M9 files retain a uniqueness that stands out.

Some people see it, some don't.  I am afflicted with the ability to see it, lol.

If I was the only one, I would concede that perhaps I am deluded.   But others seem to share the same "delusion".

To me, this topic is similar to the film vs. digital debate... some believe film images have a unique look, while others believe that digital can be processed to look exactly like film, consistently.  Guess which camp I belong to in that debate?

—Peter.

• Like 4

Update on my attempt to get a second M9/M-E:

It arrived completely defective, despite having been serviced by Leica.  So I returned it :(

In the meantime, I found an M8 with 5,500 actuations in mint condition.

I now have that as a companion to my M-E.

Long live CCD!

—Peter.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, Archiver said:

It's impossible to duplicate.  Many people have argued about this subject, but I am not sure that they have all actually owned an M9.  I bought mine new, when it was a new camera, in 2010.

My scientific test was go to lunch with a friend, and took their photo with the same lens on and M9 and M10.  Even though I like the M10, there is a certain look to the M9 files that I find impossible to duplicate.  If I had to describe it in one word, that word would be "transparency."  You don't feel like you are looking at a photo, you feel that you are looking into a window.  

I did not have to test much, because after shooting this camera, it is immediately apparent that something special is going on with the images.  Having said that, I think it does a bad job at some things, and handles overcast and open shade poorly IMO.

I have owned hundreds of cameras, and probably 50+ digital cameras.  Nothing looks like the M9.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Prosophos said:

Update on my attempt to get a second M9/M-E:

It arrived completely defective, despite having been serviced by Leica.  So I returned it :(

In the meantime, I found an M8 with 5,500 actuations in mint condition.

I now have that as a companion to my M-E.

Long live CCD!

—Peter.

What was wrong with the M9?

3 hours ago, 69xchange said:

What was wrong with the M9?

Pressing the shutter once would cause the camera to fire off pictures repeatedly, non-stop.

Even switching the camera off wouldn’t help. The only thing that would interrupt it was opening the base plate and removing the battery. 

—Peter. 

4 hours ago, mikelevitt said:

I think it does a bad job at some things, and handles overcast and open shade poorly IMO.

I know what you mean but even then in my experience, when used with a Zeiss lens, even that issue seems to go away and the subjective “something” during heavily overcast periods is retained.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikelevitt said:

I have owned hundreds of cameras, and probably 50+ digital cameras.  Nothing looks like the M9.

After I got GRDIII, which is CCD sensor, I rarely use M-E on streets. GRDIII gives better exposures, better focus coverage. Just not as sharp images as from M9, but it is not critical for this genre to me. Colors are CCD and just as M9 files comes with odd WB often, but I'm finding them easier to change comparing to M-E files. where stain of blue bugs me way too often after latest sensor cover change.

M-E for now is best camera to feel good. Just as any Leica.

For images too feel as good as M9 sensor, I didn't find anything closer on CMOS side than original SL. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, twogun said:

Four years ago I bought a used M262 camera. It was my first digital Leica M body. I used it for a year a didn't bond with it and decided to let it go. I vowed at the time that a digital M was not for me. Today in 2022 after the release of the M11, I came back full circle and purchased a steel grey M9 with an updated sensor for a price more than what I had paid for my M262 purchase.

A quick background: I mainly photograph street & environmental portraits using my x100v and GR2. I enjoy them but also love analog/film photography.  I love and collect various M film bodies and lenses and shoot color negative film and develop+scan at home to save cost. I use my Sony A9 to scan, for video work and also to adapt my M lenses on. Last week I spent a considerable amount of time developing & scanning over 30 rolls of color films that I had from 2021. I enjoy the final output of film but no matter how I justify it, scanning and editing is a lot of work and time to dedicate as a family guy. I looked at the cost of a dedicated high-end scanner like the Pakon but the prices are in the same ballpark if not more than the "older" digital M bodies. This led me to looking at M digital bodies again. 

So after some deliberation I decided I'm going to try the M9 to see if it will give me the same "film like" qualities for my images. I'm not a pixel peeper and print occasionally at 8x12 size. I've read alot about the limitation of the M9 body with it's sensor issues, aged electronics/battery and low ISO functionality (which i don't mind as a daytime photographer). I'm curious to see if the "M9 magic talk" is real or hype, I will find out soon after I have it on my hands. Will follow up. 

You're not crazy. I've been shooting M9 for 11 years now. Never bought any other digital M during that period. 
Now due to that the power system and battery are really getting unreliable for some of my recent works in fashion, I ordered a M10-R BP that will be used mostly for my commercial works. But for my street I will always take M9 with me no doubt.

Congrats on the choice! Please do share some photos with us!

On 5/8/2022 at 12:24 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

After I got GRDIII, which is CCD sensor, I rarely use M-E on streets. GRDIII gives better exposures, better focus coverage. Just not as sharp images as from M9, but it is not critical for this genre to me. Colors are CCD and just as M9 files comes with odd WB often, but I'm finding them easier to change comparing to M-E files. where stain of blue bugs me way too often after latest sensor cover change.

M-E for now is best camera to feel good. Just as any Leica.

For images too feel as good as M9 sensor, I didn't find anything closer on CMOS side than original SL. 

The GRD III was my constant companion for years until it developed unfixable lens block faults. It shot tens of thousands of images, went with me all around Australia and overseas, and was the complementary camera to my M9. I upgraded to the aps-c GR and used that until it developed the dreaded shutter fault, which I believe the GR II shares. I skipped the GR III as the Ricohs I have owned have all suffered major faults at some stage, despite having superb image quality and handling experience.

How close to the M9 is the original SL in terms of colours and look? This intrigues me.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:03 PM, Archiver said:

How close to the M9 is the original SL in terms of colours and look? This intrigues me.

Each set of eyes is different. To me SL original sits between Canon DLSRs and M9 sensor. Which is very good IMO. And it is not my own discovery someone has mentioned SL to me.