Jump to content

I'm also one of those "crazy ones" who purchased an M9 in 2022


twogun
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 2/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, twogun said:

Thanks @a.noctilux & @TeleElmar135mmfor the feedback.

On the bright side I had a response back from Leica today confirming that the camera was CLA'd and sensor replaced in mid-2018. This leads me to to believe that you're right in that I'm dealing with stubborn dust or stain. I'm going to have the sensor cleaned professionally. Until then I will worry less about the sensor and try to enjoy it.

Not sure what kind of cleaning method you used, but with liquid and a new swab, I am pretty confident you could get it clear

Edited by Lelmer
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Topsy said:

Whilst I wouldn't say I love it the shutter sound certainly doesn't bother me.

I've actually grown to really appreciate the shutter sound the more I use the camera. I think it is a unique digital experience.  It  provides a true mechanical feedback when making a photograph similar to rewinding the crank on film bodies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 12:21 PM, twogun said:

I've actually grown to really appreciate the shutter sound the more I use the camera. I think it is a unique digital experience.  It  provides a true mechanical feedback when making a photograph similar to rewinding the crank on film bodies. 

Right, exactly my thoughts. Slow and methodical mechanical feedback. Which is how I seem to shoot with my m9 :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also considering M9 to be my first M camera. It seems affordable and I hear that’s what revived the M system? Can I trust the used market? I hear it’s had some sensor issues? I just bought a film camera made in 1984.. so it’s not really strange to be getting an M9 in 2022 😌

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or have there been quite a few people looking and buying variations of M9 these days.   I only notice because I myself have been looking for one as well.  Count me as another one to buy an M9 in 2022.

Edited by xcel730
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, xcel730 said:

Is it just me or have there been quite a few people looking and buying variations of M9 these days.   I only notice because I myself have been looking for one as well.  Count me as another one to buy an M9 in 2022.

Not just you.  I just bought another M-E. 

I started my open letter to Leica in 2013 in an attempt to keep the M9 sensor alive:

https://prosophos.com/2013/11/16/an-open-letter-to-leica/

Leica never acknowledged the letter's existence, despite the fact that >700 photographers signed it.

At this point, do I think there's a chance that Leica will ever make this happen?

No.

But, it makes me happy to see this legendary camera continue to grow in its stature.

It also makes me happy to see more and more photographers appreciating it and celebrating its virtues.

—Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I quite often record artist's paintings for them. There is no more critical audience. I have an SL but what they all love is the reproductions shot on the M9, for which I use a middle aged 90mm f2.8 or a 1980s Summicron 50 - both very low optical distortion. The 90mm is best. TBH using the M9 is a bit of a pain in the neck, since  you do have an offset with the viewfinder. It's a question of shooting and then seeing if you are lined up, then adjusting and going again. The M9's screen gives no idea how good the colour in the files is - but you all know that. When artists see their work on a good quality screen they love them. The files are a modest size compared to a more modern camera but even with a good margin around the object they are more than ample for a screen and definitely good enough for top quality printing up to A3+. I don't know about bigger because my printer only goes up to A3+!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have just acquired a M9 . I last owned one about 10 years ago replacing it with a M262 and then a M10P.  I keep looking at the images from the M9 and there is just something about them that I find pleasing. I also have the M9 Monochrom  which I have had from the start and so using a M9 is quite straight forward.

My M9 is a steel grey with the bonus to me of being covered in the 'sharkskin' covering similar to the Leica MP film camera which I have. I actually prefer this to the leatherette as I am so used to it on the MP. I use the camera set at 160 iso, I really like the permanent frame lines, shutter sound is something I am used to. I have always found the battery life to be good, a lot better than the M 10 whose battery will lose power when not in use, I very rarely chimp, don't use live view or hit the buffer. I am still a film shooter at heart and rather wish that digital had never been invented !

The most important thing to me about the M9 and the M9 Monochrom  is the almost instant wake up from sleep. I often walk with my dogs , friends etc with a camera around my neck and occasionally an  opportunity will suddenly arise . I will have already (hopefully) set the aperture etc and pre focused . When using the M262 and M246 there is still about a second delay but it is the M10P which takes what seems like 2 seconds to wake up that really annoys me. The moment is long gone by the time that camera has woken up. I also don't need reminding what iso I have set. Touching the shutter release as I raise the camera still is not enough. I have always regarded the M to be a reportage camera , one of the  benefits of the rangefinder was that it was quick to use .

I have no interest in the M11 or any more pixels, I have tried and sold the SL2 , Q2 and M10 M, all too much for me . I have learnt that 'upgrades' also come with drawbacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

I too have just acquired a M9 . I last owned one about 10 years ago replacing it with a M262 and then a M10P.  I keep looking at the images from the M9 and there is just something about them that I find pleasing. I also have the M9 Monochrom  which I have had from the start and so using a M9 is quite straight forward.

My M9 is a steel grey with the bonus to me of being covered in the 'sharkskin' covering similar to the Leica MP film camera which I have. I actually prefer this to the leatherette as I am so used to it on the MP. I use the camera set at 160 iso, I really like the permanent frame lines, shutter sound is something I am used to. I have always found the battery life to be good, a lot better than the M 10 whose battery will lose power when not in use, I very rarely chimp, don't use live view or hit the buffer. I am still a film shooter at heart and rather wish that digital had never been invented !

The most important thing to me about the M9 and the M9 Monochrom  is the almost instant wake up from sleep. I often walk with my dogs , friends etc with a camera around my neck and occasionally an  opportunity will suddenly arise . I will have already (hopefully) set the aperture etc and pre focused . When using the M262 and M246 there is still about a second delay but it is the M10P which takes what seems like 2 seconds to wake up that really annoys me. The moment is long gone by the time that camera has woken up. I also don't need reminding what iso I have set. Touching the shutter release as I raise the camera still is not enough. I have always regarded the M to be a reportage camera , one of the  benefits of the rangefinder was that it was quick to use .

I have no interest in the M11 or any more pixels, I have tried and sold the SL2 , Q2 and M10 M, all too much for me . I have learnt that 'upgrades' also come with drawbacks.

If the OP had any doubts left, this should bring total clearance. I recently swapped my M9 and M9M and I can say that I miss them exactly on the here described reasons. I love the colors of the M10R, much more than the M10’s, so I’m not completely done with it, but there’s too much ado with the settings indeed to be a quick street camera. 

Edited by otto.f
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...