M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

**Update**

Fairly sure they replaced my camera. Received the camera back today and my black dot is now red again (I always replace my red dot with a black one from DAG Camera). ISO seems to be working now but I will continue to update if I have issues. I was not wanting a new camera as I had issues with my M262 sensor and they eventually replaced that... Issues similar to what others are having with their M10's so I will have to watch for that now. At least I knew my old one didn't have that problem. If you'd like more info you can check out my website PhotolisticLife where I'll be posting a full review in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully this isn't a recurring problem.

Side note: I never saw the point of the ISO dial as I never had an issue with the previous digital Leica cameras and their implementation of it. Seems like a gimmick and unfortunately I've proved that it's just another point of possible failure. Just my own thoughts on it, obviously others really like it and I respect their preferences. Take care.

5a471ba279fbb39ebfe995693d682c9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by barbiaux.john
  • Like 1

Replacing a black dot by a red one is a fairly standard procedure. Leica is not allowed to use black dots by the brand logo owner, Leica Microsystems.

It is more than unlikely that the whole camera was switched.

• Like 1

**Update**

Fairly sure they replaced my camera. Received the camera back today and my black dot is now red again (I always replace my red dot with a black one from DAG Camera). ISO seems to be working now but I will continue to update if I have issues. I was not wanting a new camera as I had issues with my M262 sensor and they eventually replaced that... Issues similar to what others are having with their M10's so I will have to watch for that now. At least I knew my old one didn't have that problem. If you'd like more info you can check out my website PhotolisticLife where I'll be posting a full review in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully this isn't a recurring problem.

Side note: I never saw the point of the ISO dial as I never had an issue with the previous digital Leica cameras and their implementation of it. Seems like a gimmick and unfortunately I've proved that it's just another point of possible failure. Just my own thoughts on it, obviously others really like it and I respect their preferences. Take care.

5a471ba279fbb39ebfe995693d682c9f.jpg

You don't know your original serial number?

This would confirm if the replaced the entire camera...although still not sure why you wouldn't want a new body.

• Like 1

You don't know your original serial number?

This would confirm if the replaced the entire camera...although still not sure why you wouldn't want a new body.

Wish I would have thought of that! Just kidding. I have not had a chance to pull out the papers from the old camera to confirm... Unless you meant you couldn't believe I didn't know it off the top of my head... I'd probably answer a question like that with something witty and sarcastic. At first you'd want to be upset but then your inner voice would say something like "Ah, he got me there... What a clever hombre". You'd say hombre because it rolls off your tongue much better than "guy". Then you'd Google hombre just to make sure you knew what the definition was. And someday we'd run into each other on the street and laugh over this silly post. You'd probably tell your wife what a nice guy you met and regal her with the entire story. She'd tell her friends at the yoga studio or over bridge (whichever is most age appropriate) and, sure, they wouldn't really get it. But we would.

As for why I wouldn't want a new body... I mentioned most of it in the post you quoted but I'll expand on it. I understand everyone's mileage varies but of the 5 Leica bodies I've had not one has not had an issue. Now, this doesn't dissuade me, because the Leica is simply the best tool for the job in regards to my style and the majority of commissions I take on. Hence the reason my posts aren't the normal angry "I can't believe my $6+k camera isn't perfect" post. I hope for the best but plan for the worst, that is why I don't want a new camera. I much prefer a camera that already has the quirks worked out than something unknown (especially with a Leica). I fully appreciate that you may not feel the same way and thank you for respecting my opinion. Take care, Friend.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, i am seeing this issue as well. The only difference is that mine is stuck in Auto mode. I have let Leica customer care know this and they have asked me to send the camera to them. I don't know what triggered this issue. I can speculate if what i was doing just before this issue showed up caused it.

I was taking a bracketed image (5 shots with 1 stop difference) and I had forcing the ISO to 100. Instead of pushing the ISO dial down after the change, i kept it pulled up. I thought i will change it back to Auto and push it down once i was done with taking bracketed photos.  I then changed it to Auto and started to take photos. Later on, i saw that it was stuck at that and no matter what i did, it would not change. As a work around, I am now changing the max ISO limit of Auto ISO to achieve low ISO (250) and taking photos.

When my M10 locked onto ISO 100, it was not due to a mechanical fault with the ISO dial, because it had not been moved.

We now have three reported instances of ISO lockup on this forum.

I suspect a bug in the firmware.

I asked Leica rep if this was a SW fix that could be applied with a FW change. He said its not and it would have to be sent to service center for a fix.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wish I would have thought of that! Just kidding. I have not had a chance to pull out the papers from the old camera to confirm... Unless you meant you couldn't believe I didn't know it off the top of my head... I'd probably answer a question like that with something witty and sarcastic. At first you'd want to be upset but then your inner voice would say something like "Ah, he got me there... What a clever hombre". You'd say hombre because it rolls off your tongue much better than "guy". Then you'd Google hombre just to make sure you knew what the definition was. And someday we'd run into each other on the street and laugh over this silly post. You'd probably tell your wife what a nice guy you met and regal her with the entire story. She'd tell her friends at the yoga studio or over bridge (whichever is most age appropriate) and, sure, they wouldn't really get it. But we would.

As for why I wouldn't want a new body... I mentioned most of it in the post you quoted but I'll expand on it. I understand everyone's mileage varies but of the 5 Leica bodies I've had not one has not had an issue. Now, this doesn't dissuade me, because the Leica is simply the best tool for the job in regards to my style and the majority of commissions I take on. Hence the reason my posts aren't the normal angry "I can't believe my $6+k camera isn't perfect" post. I hope for the best but plan for the worst, that is why I don't want a new camera. I much prefer a camera that already has the quirks worked out than something unknown (especially with a Leica). I fully appreciate that you may not feel the same way and thank you for respecting my opinion. Take care, Friend.

I think you mis-interputed my question...it was simply a suggestion to check the serial number to verify if it was changed or not...nothing more implied.

Regarding the second part...since the camera was defective...I was just curious why you wanted it repaired instead of replaced.

Replacing a black dot by a red one is a fairly standard procedure. Leica is not allowed to use black dots by the brand logo owner, Leica Microsystems.

It is more than unlikely that the whole camera was switched.

Just curious if Leica would really change a customers black dot back to a red one. If I sent my M10 back for some issue and I had put custom leather on the it, would they change it back to the factory black? Why would they be required to change the dot back if it was not them that did the change in the first place?

I think you mis-interputed my question...it was simply a suggestion to check the serial number to verify if it was changed or not...nothing more implied.

Regarding the second part...since the camera was defective...I was just curious why you wanted it repaired instead of replaced.

Did I not read a thread where Leica can simply change your flash shoe with the serial number to a new camera and thus you keep your original one? This is a quick way to exchange a camera with an issue which they might want to do extensive testing on and give the customer back their "original" serial numbered body.

Just curious if Leica would really change a customers black dot back to a red one. If I sent my M10 back for some issue and I had put custom leather on the it, would they change it back to the factory black? Why would they be required to change the dot back if it was not them that did the change in the first place?

The camera comes in pre-assembled modules. If the ISO knob is part of the top plate assembly they will swap out the plate instead of taking the ISO changing mechanism apart. The new top plate will come with a red dot.  They will indeed not actively replace the black dot, but nor will they replace the new red one by an old black one.

I think it is a design matter. Leica wanted to have the M10 look as much as a film M as possible to emphasize the main selling point, i.e. the smaller size.

All film Ms have rewind crank/knob in that location. As the digital Ms have no film ;), using it for ISO appears to be the most sensible function for the thing.

Theoretically there is no case to be made for ISO being a mechanical setting on a fully manual camera, although I'm sure that quite a few owners find it useful.

Getting an exposure depends on the amount of light hitting the sensor/film. The only wesentliche parameters are shutter speed and aperture, thus those are the essential controls.

Film/sensor sensitivity/amplification is basically something else, i.e. the way the light is processed by the medium.

Having said that, that ISO dial looks nice and retro :)

Not sure I understand your statement, surely the film speed affects the exposure. In a digital, the nearest equivalent to film speed digital ISO. I'm glad they included a mechanical dial in that location. Has been a widely praised feature.

Not sure I understand your statement, surely the film speed affects the exposure. In a digital, the nearest equivalent to film speed digital ISO. I'm glad they included a mechanical dial in that location. Has been a widely praised feature.

This may sound like a discussion about semantics.

I think the term "exposure" usually means the amount of light that reaches the film or sensor. The amount is decreased by closing the aperture, by using a shorter exposure time, by adding filters, extending the bellows, by extinguishing a lamp and so on.

Clearly, the film speed or the amplification of the sensor output does not change the amount of light that reaches the sensor. Rather, the photographer (or any automatic devices within the camera) have to take the speed of the medium into account in order to determine the amount of light needed to get a properly exposed imager.

This may sound like a discussion about semantics.

I think the term "exposure" usually means the amount of light that reaches the film or sensor. The amount is decreased by closing the aperture, by using a shorter exposure time, by adding filters, extending the bellows, by extinguishing a lamp and so on.

Clearly, the film speed or the amplification of the sensor output does not change the amount of light that reaches the sensor. Rather, the photographer (or any automatic devices within the camera) have to take the speed of the medium into account in order to determine the amount of light needed to get a properly exposed imager.

Ok thanks. In that case surely ISO is *THE* primary parameter which should drive the other two. Not sure what point Jaap is trying to make make that it isn't an important part of the exposure pyramid. Semantics aside, really glad it has a mechanical dial.

I never said it was not an important part of taking a photograph. I just object to lumping it together with the parameters that determine the amount of light hitting the sensor AKA exposure. Your exposure pyramid is just a triangle :).
Why do I object? It is an obfuscation caused by digital photography.

The camera comes in pre-assembled modules. If the ISO knob is part of the top plate assembly they will swap out the plate instead of taking the ISO changing mechanism apart. The new top plate will come with a red dot.  They will indeed not actively replace the black dot, but nor will they replace the new red one by an old black one.

That would make sense, replace just the top plate and not the entire camera. Did not think of that.

I've heard more M10's are getting this problem including thorsten

For anyone who only thinks about 3 isolated reports in this forum, consider taking yourself read outside

The world much bigger than you think, this is a worrying stage of M10

Without any explanation from leica, i feel like m10 is carrying a "cancer" that might be triggered in the future :)

This iso stuck seems much bigger problem than the sdcard incompatibility/overheat problem

Instagram @jakontil

The problem is that ISO can be set by the menu and also by the dedicated ISO dial. 

This means that it is possible - easy, even - to choose an ISO setting on one of these two, and then override it on the other. 

This can be done repeatedly, and at some point (or after some combination or sequence of settings) the firmware is unable to determine which setting prevails, and becomes corrupted.

That's what I think happened in my case.

• Like 1

My ISO dial works. I can only set ISO by the menu if the ISO dial is set on M. I cannot set another ISO when there is already selected a specific ISO by the dial. When the ISO dial is set on A, then I can only choose the maximum ISO level for A-mode. I guess the ISO stuck must be a mechanical problem and not a firmware issue. And this is not good at all.

• Like 2