M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides, it ain't that convenient pulling up and twist

May be it's just me...

For now since there are problem arise with the iso dial unable to set the desired iso, not to mention the overheat that hunts some users, i chose to use the old fashioned way through the menu :))

Instagram @jakontil

Two people have reported an issue, nothing to be concerned with. I exercise my dial daily and have zero issues :)

BTW- I leave mine in the up position when shooting in a situation where I will need to adjust the ISO, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Leaving the dial up is almost impossible for me; I'm always inadvertently pushing it down as I handle the camera.  My thumb just naturally goes to the left top-plate and down it goes.  I wish it was as hard to get down as it is to get up, and I'd appreciate any tips of how others manage this.  In his first review, Sean Reid mentioned the possibility of a some third party piece of rubber designed to go into the space to hold it up.

My thumb just naturally goes to the left top-plate and down it goes. 

That seems awkward, are you left handed maybe?...I cant see a scenario where my thumb touches the ISO dial. Id love to see a photo of how you hold the camera.

Try using two fingers to raise the ISO dial...I find it very easy to lift. I lift it with my thumb and index finger. 

digitalfx, thank you for your interest. I have images that you requested, 3 of them actually, but when I add them to my post, they come out very large even tho they are only 600px tall (in files about 700kb).  Then when I click the post button, I get an error message that my "post is too small" -- which it certainly isn't.  I'll appreciate any pointers to fix these problems.  For now,  I'll post the text and give descriptions of the images.

Considering your question may be leading me to a solution.  I am right handed, and when I am actually snapping an image in horizontal orientation I hold the camera in the standard manner as illustrated in jaapv’s avatar (see above). When I shoot vertical orientation, I hold the camera in almost the standard way as I learned to do from this forum in the early M8 days, like so:

[This image shows the standard way of vertical shooting with the iso dial at the top right safely away from my thumbs and fingers.]

You are correct; in either case my thumb and fingers are safely away from the iso dial.  However, prior to learning the proper way to shoot vertically, for about 30 years, most of my photography was candid portraits, and I was almost always shooting holding my Ms upside down with my elbow waving in the air.  In this image you can readily see the problem of my thumb pressing where the iso dial has come to be:

[if you hold your camera as described with your right hand going over it to push the shutter release at the top left, you'll see your left thumb clamping down on the iso dial.]

And even though I now now shoot vertically with the camera right side up, my long establish habit when grabbing the camera to raise it to my eye is do do like so, pushing down the iso dial:

[in this image, the camera is by my left hip and I am grabbing it's left side with my thumb over the iso button.]

I need to establish a new habit of visualizing _before_ I reach for the camera, how I will be holding it when it gets to my eye.  That may help me to grab and lift it properly — if this old dog can learn a new trick.  However, it is more challenging than just changing how I lift it to my eye.  By long established habit, I grab the camera with my thumb over the iso dial whenever I handle it, raising, lowering, putting into or out of the camera bag, etc.  So I don’t know if there is hope for me.

The above images [should] illustrate some interesting points regarding the placement of the camera strap and the way my right index finger lies flat over the shutter release button.  Those modifications enable me to shoot hand-held at slow shutter speeds (1/15 and often 1/8) despite my advanced age and tremors. However, not to veer off topic, I’ll save that discussion for another thread -- if I ever get to where I can post the images.

Edited by mweiner

digitalfx, thank you for your interest. I have images that you requested, 3 of them actually, but when I add them to my post, they come out very large even tho they are only 600px tall (in files about 700kb).  

Ive never seen an error regarding images too small...but I find that if I keep my images just under 1000 pixels wide (horizontal) and under 1mb they load fine. It is strange that it would complain about an image being too small. Alternately you can upload them to any photo hosting site and use the Image link button above the text dialog to link hosted images.

I can relate to the old dog adage...we are all creatures of habit.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There was a film that could be exposed at different ISO for each frame something from 200-800 or such ( I forgot the name). I used it once. Totally worthless.

Hello Jaap,

It was a Kodak film. It might have been made in the late 1980's.

It actually wasn't that bad & the idea was quite good.

Among other things: It gave the photographer a greater degree of control in terms of combining a specific degree of motion stopping ability with an appropriate depth of field in a greater variety of circumstances.

As well as a greater latitude for error in exposure determination.

It is too bad that Kodak did not follow up on it.

They might have seen it as competing with themselves.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

It was indeed Kodak. I used it on a trip without trying it out beforehand - imbecile, I know- and the only decent shots I got was @ ISO 400.

The colours of everything else shifted to a nasty brownish-red and purple, which could not be corrected in print.

Ive never seen an error regarding images too small...but I find that if I keep my images just under 1000 pixels wide (horizontal) and under 1mb they load fine. It is strange that it would complain about an image being too small. Alternately you can upload them to any photo hosting site and use the Image link button above the text dialog to link hosted images.

I can relate to the old dog adage...we are all creatures of habit.

Yes, but for non-sponsoring members, the max file size is 500 kB for all images in one post together, maximum image size 1280 pixels on the longest edge. When using the image link, images must not exceed forum limits, otherwise, they will be deleted.

Mweiner was exceeding the file size limit, which explains why his images were not accepted.

• Like 1

Yes, but for non-sponsoring members, the max file size is 500 kB., maximum image size 1280 pixels on the longest edge. When using the image link, images must not exceed forum limits, otherwise, they will be deleted.

Thanks, I forgot about this limitation.

• Like 1

I have learned a lot from this forum and should have become a premium member long ago; now I am.

I have used the attach feature and the 3 images illustrating my previous post ?should show up below.  However, I may have other  posting  problems in the future.  Is there a place on the forum I could go to get help and maybe  test problematic replies.  Thanks.

Well, the images don't seem to have shown up using the 'attach/upload' feature in the 'more reply options', only some kind of references.  Also, I previously had copied links to the images from the smugmug 'share' feature, and the forum rejected these saying "file extensions were not allowed".  :(

Pop, thanks for the link; it looks like it should help.  However, that is what I did previously when I got just the textual reference.  I'm going to try again following your directions line by line.  If you see the image, then thanks a bunch; if not, I'll need more help.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ugh, no image, just a reference.  I chose the file, clicked 'open', saw a some circular arrows showing it was uploading.  Got to where the just above 'Attach files' it showed the filename, 'Done (uploaded 87.48kb' and a choice: 'Add to Post | delete'.   I then, just as you said, clicked in my post where I wanted the image.  There then appeared there the reference you see above, but no image.  I am using firefox in OS X Sierra.

I'm going to try it again with safari.

Wait, there is the image. Hooray and thanks. I was only seeing the reference...until I completed the posting

and then there it was. I'm now going to upload the other two illustrations of my previous post answering digitalfx, and I'm going to try to see if they show up in the preview box.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yup, there they are in the preview.

Wait, there is the image. Hooray and thanks. I was only seeing the reference...until I completed the posting

and then there it was. I'm now going to upload the other two illustrations of my previous post answering digitalfx, and I'm going to try to see if they show up in the preview box.

attachicon.gif170601_143143_A1016486.jpg

attachicon.gif170601_143507_A1016489.jpg

Yup, there they are in the preview.

How are you focusing? Try using the same configuration in vertical format as used in horizontal and place your left hand on the lens and bottom of the camera.

It make take awhile to adapt, but I think after time you will find its easier to focus and shoot this way.

The simplest way of dealing with this is to trust Auto ISO. For most normal usage an increase in ISO will not affect image quality that much. I would only use the ISO dial when shooting in low light where I would want fixed ISO and use fixed manual settings. Typical examples would be inside a church or an ancient building or in low light at dawn or at dusk. Otherwise, using Auto ISO will allow you to keep the dial down in its fixed (immovable) position during 'normal' usage. For me, the ISO dial will be a rarely used feature on my M10. I would much rather if exposure compensation were put on a full physical dial rather than the slower half and half method used.

William

• Like 1