M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

For those having problem with the iso dial

You guys use it everytime went out and shot?

Or just occasionally between the menu and the dial knob?

I wonder where it starts...

Instagram @jakontil

Mine failed the first time I used it. Has since been working fine after visiting Leica NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem occurred Sunday with mine, brought it to Wetzlar yesterday. They know the issue; the dial somehow unplugs. For repair the camera has to be disassembled. Takes its time - so you cannot wait for it. They have lots to do with the M9's sensor issue (surprise!).

By the way: It will not be possible to bring back the level by a firmware update, they told me.

• Like 2

Mine failed the first time I used it. Has since been working fine after visiting Leica NJ.

I am curious if Leica has implemented any production changes to the External ISO knob since there is an obvious issue, and if so, I am curious what serial numbers may be affected or ALL M-10's built to date destined to fail in that respect?

If anyone that has experienced this stuck ISO issue can start to list their build dates, perhaps some pattern may emerge.

Edited by roverover
  • Like 5

I am curious if Leica has implemented any production changes to the External ISO knob since there is an obvious issue, and if so, I am curious what serial numbers may be affected or ALL M-10's built to date destined to fail in that respect?

If anyone that has experienced this stuck ISO issue can start to list their build dates, perhaps some pattern may emerge.

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but I used the dial exactly once. Set it to M and until theres more clarity on the issue, it will stay there and I'll alter ISO via the menu. Probably would have done that anyway as I rely on base ISO unless absolutely necessary.  

• Like 1

They told me that nothing essential has been changed during production but that they are more careful assembling the ISO-dial now and plugging it in. Mine was produced 20th December, 2016.

• Like 2

i use my dial every single day...have had the camera since the day it was announced. Not a single issue. Stop being paranoid and use your cameras.

My camera arrived yesterday. I'm afraid to use it, so it's still in the box. And it isn't fair that I have one in hand when others ordered before me and have been waiting for months. Mine arrived in just over three weeks.

So sad.

And they are out to get me. 

The small animals that I converse with that no one else can see told me as much.

• Like 2

i use my dial every single day...have had the camera since the day it was announced. Not a single issue. Stop being paranoid and use your cameras.

I'd like to, but the ISO-dial does not work any more. So I cannot use the camera any more. And at Leica's they smiled and confirmed that I am not the only one with exactly this issue.

And it is my third M-body, and it is the third one with a serious problem within the first two years after purchase which I have never experienced with any other camera.

(And now I am ready to read the answer that I must have used the wrong SD-card, should not have taken the camera into the sun or into the cold or that I probably had not caressed the ISO-dial the way it should have been caressed.)

• Like 2

My guess would be what was surmised, that the ISO button had physically decoupled, so the external dial was no longer turning the internal mechanism. The symptoms seem to suggest that: camera works, menus work, ISO behaves as if the dial is set to 400. The simplest notion is that the dial actually is set to 400, on the inside. Anyone who has ever done anything like repair a sink faucet or stove burner dial has seen this sort of thing, where the outer handle breaks in some way where it ceases to turn the inner shaft.

Rather than be wary of using the menus, I'd be wary of using the dial too much, or doing anything to stress it physically.

may be and just a may be the pull action on the dial might have pulled it away from the electronic contact... I go with the decoupled theory which seems lame on part of Leica

Good on you and others might not be as lucky

Others might try to prevent it from happening, and above all leica didn't make any statement despite some problems arise, and I'm sure it is more than just three reported here earlier

Others might not live as near as leica service center that sending to them for service might take longer than you could have imagined

Use your camera?

Im pretty damn sure my shutter has more mileage than yours, my knob might b used occasionally, but didnt mean i didnt use the camera :)

Being paranoid? Not really, just trying to avoid sending it over which might be troublesome for where i live

Instagram @jakontil

Mine has stuck - though not completely. Most times at whatever ISO-value I turn the dial, it is stuck on ISO 1600; when I turn the dial very slowly it may get to ISO 800, but I cannot get any other value. Both values cannot be changed by setting another ISO in the menue. Even when the menu clearly says ISO 100 and Max. ISO 250, the results are either ISO 1600 or 800. Reset, change of battery or SD-card didn't help

I did not use the dial a lot, most times I used Auto-Iso with a maximum of ISO 1600. I wonder why it stuck on ISO 1600 for the first time since I do not remember having set this value by dial. Perhaps the setting for max ISO caused it.

Edit: Turing the dial clockwise fixes it on ISO 1600, counter clockwise I can reach ISO 800 - but no other values.

Serial No. is 5183517, the package is dated 2017/02/24. Whilst many earlier reports said that the dial was very tight, mine was quite easy to lift.

I wanted to use it for a holiday from tomorrow. So the M9 will be in charge again.

Edited by UliWer

M8 - Poor filtration

M9 - cracked sensors, followed by corrosion

M240- strap lugs

M10- stuck ISO dial

SL601- no reported problems (anything to do with Panasonic?)

Maybe making cameras is not Leicas forte?

Well, even without a forte the Variations on Bugs are interesting.

• Like 1

M8 - Poor filtration

M9 - cracked sensors, followed by corrosion

M240- strap lugs

M10- stuck ISO dial

SL601- no reported problems (anything to do with Panasonic?)

Maybe making cameras is not Leicas forte?

Panasonic? I thought they were all made at the same factory in Portugal?