M10 Stuck On ISO 400

barbiaux.john

Simplification is fine, especially if it helps teaching. But it should not come at the price of incorrect basics. Your cropping example is a good one. It is the cause of the confusion between perspective by subject distance and focal length we see about every two months on the forum.

And the way to deal with it is to simply provide a solution.  Tell the person, "Use an 85m for portraits and you won't have any problems." Then let that person devote all their time to actually taking photographs.  If they care to learn what causes perspective distortion they can do so at their leisure.  They don't need to understand it any more than I understand how gas makes my car work.  

Honestly, I think a lot of the time, the person doing the explaining wants to show off that  they understand something "complicated" and they want to brag that they know something that another person doesn't know.  Meanwhile, you can look on Instagram and find thousands photographers doing an amazing job of creating interesting photographs with their phones daily and yet that have ZERO understanding of whether or not ISO is an exposure parameter.

• Like 1

I see where you are coming from, but the basis of this argument is whether Leica was right to present the ISO dial as a part of "das Wesentliche". 

I don't think that we need to teach Leica photographic basics, nor that their core target customer is an Instagram photographer.

Oh, and I DO understand how gas makes my car work, despite the fact that it is mainly electric. :p.

Placement of aperture control on the lens (where it should be, unlike many oriental cameras having a wheel on the camera body) together with DoF scale is a good reminder that aperture is a DoF control. If someone doesn't wish to use ISO to affect the recorded digital image, then exposure is dictated by SS and ND filters. Not a quick way to work.

Of course this doesn't ease the misery of the OP with his wayward M10. Hope it gets better soon.

I see where you are coming from, but the basis of this argument is whether Leica was right to present the ISO dial as a part of "das Wesentliche". 

I don't think that we need to teach Leica photographic basics, nor that their core target customer is an Instagram photographer.

Oh, and I DO understand how gas makes my car work, despite the fact that it is mainly electric. :p.

All chemical reactions are 'periodically' electric.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica,

Please ignore all the old farts complaining about the ISO dial on the M10...most of them don't even own the M10 yet.

The vast majority of us that own the M10, love the new ISO dial...please keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

an old fart that owns the M10.

• Like 14

Edit  : BTW, this discussion could never have happened in the film days. One had to choose the ISO before even starting to use a camera.  And still beginners managed to get properly exposed shots with some tuition.

Yeah, but this isn't the film days any more. If you could have changed ASA (ISO) on the fly back in the day you surely would have...and you would have appreciated an easy way to do so. 

Dear Leica,

Please ignore all the old farts complaining about the ISO dial on the M10...most of them don't even own the M10 yet.

The vast majority of us that own the M10, love the new ISO dial...please keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

an old fart that owns the M10.

Indeed :)

although I'm sure that quite a few owners find it useful.

There was a film that could be exposed at different ISO for each frame something from 200-800 or such ( I forgot the name). I used it once. Totally worthless.

You can expose each film at a different ISO for each frame, even within a vastly larger range, or not at all. It's only that the result is bound to be useless.

You can expose each film at a different ISO for each frame, even within a vastly larger range, or not at all. It's only that the result is bound to be useless.

Yes, but that film was marketed as "expose for a different ISO per frame", it was a super-wide wide-latitude colour negative film. Yuk.

• Like 1

I apologize, I keep forgetting that English is not your primary language. Normally it's quite good, but in certain technological situations it's not always clear.

Actually it is one of two, I lived in the UK as a child...Maybe you haven't read my posts that carefully.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind leica put iso dial on top plate

Aesthetically it's beautiful but to my usage, it's been more than gimmicks

Besides, it ain't that convenient pulling up and twist

May be it's just me...

For now since there are problem arise with the iso dial unable to set the desired iso, not to mention the overheat that hunts some users, i chose to use the old fashioned way through the menu :))

Instagram @jakontil

• Like 1

Actually it is one of two, I lived in the UK as a child...Maybe you haven't read my posts that carefully.

In my case, English is my primary language, Sanskrit is my second and I've picked up a little Chinese. Currently I am a professor of English in China at a state teachers university.

• Like 1