Elegant tape solution for covering red dot on silver M

hollisd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't own an M10, so don't have to make the difficult decision about the Red Dot - but I did have the M-240P and preferred the lack of one.

Depending on how permanent a disguise you are seeking, why not (after careful masking) paint the Red Dot with silver car paint - lots of shades of grey (50?) available for BMW or Mercedes.

If a more reversible solution is preferred, grey emulsion paint should adhere quite well to the Dot, could be repainted if it wore off, and should also be relatively easy to remove when you change your mind.

Equally, some folk must  crave a really perfect Red Dot; there are some (from Denmark) on e-bay for about £35 at present.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Leica-Dot-Logo-for-M240-M262-SL-/272536620271?hash=item3f7472ccef:g:vL0AAOSwjDZYi2Ba

Last time I obsessed over this issue was when trying to decide if I should use a toothpick to peel the white paint M9 off my nearly new camera. I took a photo of the camera and photoshopped various combinations. I ended up deciding that I liked the camera without the huge white "M9" but with the small red Leica logo. I didn't toothpick off the white but rather used electrical tape over the "M9". I mostly did this because people would ask "what kind of camera is a M9, I've never heard of a M9." The little red "Leica" never even registered. Now I just use the camera the way Leica designed, big ugly white type face and all.

So, in my book, the M10 looks just right the way it is. Black or blonde both look great. I just want mine. Now.

Edited by Printmaker
  • Like 1

Inspired by the efforts of my fellow contributors I decided to carry our certain modifications to a gift I received from Leica Mayfair.

I am sure you will agree the results are most pleasing. I can now wear my pin with pride safe if the knowledge that I will no longer draw unwanted attention to myself :) .

Combined%20Small_zpsp4mtxvsd.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12504 i suspect

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Well I don't mind the leica logo, just not in red. I replaced it on my black M9 and silver M240 with black dots from DAG. Much more 'subtle' in my opinion. I have an unused black M9 dot and hope it fits the M10. Haven't decided about the white M10 lettering. I removed it from m M9 - again, not to hide the camera or for discretion - I just prefer how it looks.

The only "M10" lettering is on the hot shoe. I can't imagine he'd want to remove the "Made in Germany" etc. by himself.

Jeff

I assumed he meant white lettering on M10...not M10 lettering.

But regardless I just don't get this obsession of covering the logo and white letters.

(95% of the people I encounter while shooting have zero clue what a Leica is nor do they care. Most think I'm just using an old camera, and pretty much everyone thinks I'm shooting film. The few people I encountered that knew I was using a Leica were photographers and it generally started a pleasant conversation....but that was the exception.

I assumed he meant white lettering on M10...not M10 lettering.

Might be good to actually look at lettering on the back of an M10 before commenting that "you're sure" that's what he meant.

I don't remove any lettering (just prefer black logo from DAG), but I'm hardly surprised that others have all sorts of aesthetic preferences for their Ms...Leica milks this well known tendency for a considerable amount of profit...as do third party suppliers. The DIY crowd has been alive and well on the forum for years; I'm not among them, but it's business as usual around here.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S