Leica logo cover (Hide the red dot)

hotshew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For anybody wanting to cover up their red dot on a black camera, I found a virtually tailor-made solution on Amazon for under $6 (US):

ZXUEZHENG Self-Adhesive Screw Hole Stickers,2-Table 140 in 1 Self-Adhesive Screw Covers Caps Dustproof Sticker 12mm Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FJJ3XM6

The adhesive isn't aggressive, so no major concerns it will leave sticky residue once removed. The stickers are semi-rigid as well, so very easy to apply and no impression from the underlying logo pushing through -- they are screw dust covers, not super thin vinyl stickers. There's 140 to the pack so can take off & reapply a new one as desired if seeking a temporary solution. Be sure to select the 12mm size option if decide to get some.

Somebody's probably going to ask why? People have their reasons (varies), which is why premium car manufacturers ofter a debadge option. For me, I'm a meat and potatoes guy, and enjoy the Leica brand for the experience and build quality, but I don't care much for the luxury brand image that Leica conveys through their store fronts/showrooms and public perception, so I cover up.

-Roland.

P.S. I have no association w/ ZXUEZHENG. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hotshew
Disclaimer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Halfway solution..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the link, for those who want to cover the dot.

I really never had an issue with the red dot. Hiding it doesnt make the camera any more or less luxury IMO. I am not sure if anybody would really realize if there is a dot or if it is hidden. I think its more in the head of the owner.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Yeah, you found out about my little secret: the red dot is THE main reason why I buy my Leicas. 

Lol. You sarcasm is duly noted :- ) For the record, I did say "f the red dot is your thing or doesn't turn you off". 

Edited by hotshew
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb hotshew:

Lol. You sarcasm is duly noted :- ) For the record, I did say "f the red dot is your thing or doesn't turn you off". 

just for the record. I found your answer fine. Someone posted a good source for covers, so my answer was somewhat off topic.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:28 PM, tom0511 said:

Yeah, you found out about my little secret: the red dot is THE main reason why I buy my Leicas. 

This is also my main reason for buying Leica cameras and lenses...

Not because of excellent glas, Leica color science or  that mysterious 
“Leica Look“... All that is not important, but the Leica red dot... 
I even have the Leica pen, Leica watch, Leica baseball cap,
Leica key ring pendant... ;) :D 

Slowly I start to think that the Leica is my fetish 
Is this something that I should be worried about? :D 

Nikola

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was traveling in the UK and Holland for 9 days for vacation with my Leica M11 and APO Summicron 35mm lens mounted. Two persons, separately, commented on my camera. Both were asking if it was an old film camera. I don't think the Leica dot made any difference, but the camera shape is very distinctive in today's multi-buttoned variable zoom cameras that most people travel with these days.

BTW, I'm 6'5", 240 lbs. and a fifth degree Master black belt, so I'm not too concerned about someone picking me out of the crowd as an easy target. However, you always have to be on guard and situationally aware on the street.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, LEGEND said:

This is also my main reason for buying Leica cameras and lenses...

Not because of excellent glas, Leica color science or  that mysterious 
“Leica Look“... All that is not important, but the Leica red dot... 
I even have the Leica pen, Leica watch, Leica baseball cap,
Leica key ring pendant... ;) :D 

Slowly I start to think that the Leica is my fetish 
Is this something that I should be worried about? :D 

Nikola

Very worried I would seek immediate help…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, hdmesa said:

The "dot" that I want (that doesn't exist) would be – all-black monotone – in the M11 black paint texture – no silver in the script.

@leicarr on reddit makes the item you're seeking. He's located in Germany and ships worldwide. Just message him and he responds & ships quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:37 AM, hotshew said:

Somebody's probably going to ask why? People have their reasons (varies), which is why premium car manufacturers ofter a debadge option.

Well, the car de-badge option is removal of the model type badges. If you buy a BMW it still has the BMW badges just nothing to tell you if it's the bottom of the range or top of the range version, although those who know will know.

I expect it's chosen either by those who can only get the bottom model, so they don't look cheap, or the top model and they don't want to show off. I can't imaging why someone buying the mid range model would bother!

Anyway, I digress.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, tom0511 said:

I am not sure if anybody would really realize if there is a dot or if it is hidden. I think its more in the head of the owner.

Yes, it reminds me of the adage: "You wouldn't care what other people think about you if you realized how seldom they did."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1