Non-destructively remove the red dot

decltype

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep a pair of black dots for reuse on newly acquired cameras.   

The good news is that the red dot is almost instantaneously removable from the M11.  This makes the initial replacement and eventual re-exchange even easier.  

One way to get rid of the red logo is to start without one. My M10 Monochrom, M Monochrom and M10-R BP all come with no need for red dot removal.  So did my former black M8.2.  But I did replace the red logo on my silver M8.2 with a black logo provided by DAG. Just an aesthetic preference.

Jeff

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

One way to get rid of the red logo is to start without one. My M10 Monochrom, M Monochrom and M10-R BP all come with no need for red dot removal.  So did my former black M8.2.  But I did replace the red logo on my silver M8.2 with a black logo provided by DAG. Just an aesthetic preference.

Jeff

On a camera with a red dot, don't you invalidate the guarantee by swapping it to a black one?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/27/2019 at 11:25 PM, fotografr said:

I'm curious how you get someone to ignore a camera that is up to your eye and pointed at them.  In 40 years of photographing people, that's a trick I've not learned. My experience has been that people don't care or even notice what kind of camera is pointed at them. They only care that it is pointed at them. The only people I've encountered who recognize the red dot as the mark of a Leica are other photographers. The vast majority of people who ask me about the cool looking camera slung over my shoulder have never heard of Leica.

Be obvious and focus on something or someone in another direction that is about the same distance, then quickly pan back to your 'victim' before she notices. 

Edited by Ornello

Leica would do us all a monumental favor by giving us what the vast majority of M users want to begin with:  Leave the red dot logo off the front and engrave the beautiful Leica script on the top plate.  There would be nothing wrong with the top plate of the M11 cameras being engraved the exact same way as the M3 cameras were, as long as they say M11.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ornello said:

Be obvious and focus on something or someone in another direction that is about the same distance, then quickly pan back to your 'victim' before she notices. 

"She?" 😁

Edited by fotografr

3 minutes ago, fotografr said:

"She?" 😁

Usually, yes. See my photos in the link! 

Edited by Ornello

38 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leica would do us all a monumental favor by giving us what the vast majority of M users want to begin with:  Leave the red dot logo off the front and engrave the beautiful Leica script on the top plate.  There would be nothing wrong with the top plate of the M11 cameras being engraved the exact same way as the M3 cameras were, as long as they say M11.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Would the Red Dot Forum have to change it's name?

• Haha 3

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Herr Barnack:

I wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 1

I rarely go out without having an M slung over my shoulder. The vast majority of people who notice it and comment think it's an "old fashioned" film camera. They're shocked when I show them the LCD. It's also very unusual for someone to see it and recognize that it's a Leica, even though I have the red dot. Even when I tell people it's a Leica, most have never heard of the brand. So if the motivation for not having a red dot is to not have the camera be recognizable, then I'd say it's a non-issue. If it's just personal preference, both red and black have their merits.

Edited by fotografr

For me it’s merely an aesthetic choice.  Being ‘noticed’ is almost exclusively related to the user, not the camera IMO.  The only exception for me was when I shot with large format view cameras on a tripod, and then it was usually in areas without urban crowds.

Jeff

I agree with the above few posts. The red dot isn't more noticeable than the script and it's related to the user. I've shot all ways, silver chrome, black, red dot, black dot, script, no script, small lenses, larger lenses, vintage, new. The reaction or lack of is all the same. It's really how you carry yourself. It is an aesthetic choice and I do prefer no dot + script but that's for me, not to be 'discreet'.