Leica logo cover (Hide the red dot)

hotshew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/17/2022 at 10:46 PM, Surelythisnameisfree said:

Halfway solution..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Can you share where you got the black Leica dot?  I would love to replace the red one with this one.  Thanks

On 5/22/2022 at 7:13 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

I have the dots and numbers covered with black tape. Now all the m’s look the same which is good. Let my wife think I have only one 😎

Now that's the best reason yet for giving your M cameras the stealth treatment.   😅

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe it's my age (I'm 30), but I take my M11 everywhere and run into exceptionally few people that have ever even heard of Leica. I get a lot of "cute camera!" but very few "oo, is that an M-whatever." The people that do notice and comment are always photographers and I've had some nice conversations as a result. Actually, I had my M2 (no dot) out the other day at a bar and someone asked if it was an M3, and then we talked about the Noctilux I was using. So for the people that know, I think they can spot a Leica regardless of whether there's a dot.

Covering it almost feels more conspicuous to me, like when Harvard grads say they “went to school in Boston.” They always want to tell me; they just want me to give them permission first. It adds a level of pretension that doesn’t need to be there. 

Edited by Jeremy Bunting
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I find (at least here in san francisco) that the only notice you get carrying a leica is from other leica owners. I'm happy to chat a little bit if people want to but it's rarely an interesting conversation. I was carrying a baby rolleiflex once and an extremely old man sitting in front of an old folks home perked up and asked me about it, and said he'd used a rollei as a news photographer in the early 1950s and had some good stories, that was pretty great.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:13 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

I have the dots and numbers covered with black tape. Now all the m’s look the same which is good. Let my wife think I have only one 😎

Same here! I covered/blacked out the red dots when I first got my M9 and Q2 so they looked like the Fujis they replaced, and now I need to keep the tradition alive. Not sure what I'm going to do with the silver M11 arriving next week... maybe I can add a red dot to my M4, say it was always there, and ease her into the idea of a silver camera with a red dot that way? 😇

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, Artin said:

Nothing ticks me off more then the tape on the dot , personal opinion but it just seems silly. I took my M11 to Mexico with that beautiful bright red dot and no  one cared or most likely had any Idea what it was worth . I had my SL2 with the red dot and the huge LEICA written in bright white all over the Caribbean and same no problem, down town Toronto for 35 years never a problem. 
Love the red dot.... If you Tape the RED dot you should be stripped of your Leica and Banished to the world of SoNikCan

People have their reasons for hiding the logo. I love my Leica cameras, but I don't like the brand and walking into a Leica store gives me hives. I keep keep the red dot covered and I use gaffers tape for my S3. When I need AF, I reach for my Canon.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Jeremy Bunting said:

Maybe it's my age (I'm 30), but I take my M11 everywhere and run into exceptionally few people that have ever even heard of Leica. I get a lot of "cute camera!" but very few "oo, is that an M-whatever." The people that do notice and comment are always photographers and I've had some nice conversations as a result. Actually, I had my M2 (no dot) out the other day at a bar and someone asked if it was an M3, and then we talked about the Noctilux I was using. So for the people that know, I think they can spot a Leica regardless of whether there's a dot.

Covering it almost feels more conspicuous to me, like when Harvard grads say they “went to school in Boston.” They always want to tell me; they just want me to give them permission first. It adds a level of pretension that doesn’t need to be there. 

Agree that any notion of covering the red dot because "everyone knows" it's ostentatious or makes you a target or draws attention is wildly overblown.

As a Leica owner, I sometimes notice other folks with Leicas, but never comment on a random person's gear unless we're both shooting a scene, or we're in some safe spot like a cafe or photo shop. Similarly, the only people who have ever commented on my Leica are other shooters, and I've also had some nice conversations.

I've heard the notion of the common street criminal who "knows to look for red dots", and I'm not saying that has never happened, but people who steal stuff on the street are probably not very selective. I've carried cameras in some pretty seedy places, and the only time I've ever been knowingly targeted was with a large, though not particularly valuable (aging Canon 5D2 + 70-200 f/4 v1) setup in an area of Quito Ecuador known for street crime (a guy tried to pull the camera off my shoulder, but was unsuccessful).

• Like 1

Leica What?!?

I personally like the black logo getter. but almost nobody cares about tables.

I use to cover the Sony and canon, just because I would me on a job and someone comes over saying" Hi I have the same camera ( insert nurd emoji here) "

not to be rude, but I was there to work and not to chat about cameras.

With Leica it get recognized by clients that are billionaires, they probably get it for their birthday.

When our apartment was robbed in 2011 in Boston, MA, USA, the thief took zero Leica gear. They went for size and took my Nikon F4S, my Pentax 645nII and my longest 300mm and 180mm telephoto lenses, which were worth a fraction of the Leica stuff. They also stole my husband's MacBook Pro which Brookline police did recover from a guy who got convicted of receiving stolen goods (the Boston PD took no fingerprints so it was not proved he was the thief, though he may have been).

We did not figure out until a couple years later that the thief also stole an old brass Leitz microscope that was of nominal value but was a beautiful thing, and a 1960s vintage ivory chess set from South Vietnam that is pretty much irreplaceable, due to CITES. I hope someone uses that more than I did.

Shortly after getting my first Leica (a used m240) and shooting at Disney World (of all places)...a stranger next to me said: "Leica, huh? Nice camera.....EXPENSIVE".

So people do/can/sometimes notice. 

Since then I have covered up the branding on all my cameras (Leica, Nikon, Sony, other) because: 

• I like my cameras to be as discrete as possible so my subjects aren't as aware or intimidated. One of the reasons I always choose a black body.  A red dot (or white logo) on the front of a camera is designed to get attention. 
  • I don't feel like broadcasting brand preference like a billboard. 
  • Psychologically, it helps me reduce attention on the gear and more on the art. 
  • Perhaps it makes it less attractive to thieves (but mostly for the reasons above)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As OP, I was sharing helpful tip for those who like to debadge, for whatever reason (varies, and not topic limited to Leica cameras or cameras in general). Nobody is suggesting otherwise that what clients care about is end result or that the decision to badge/debadge has anything to do with the love of photography. In fact, I would argue that anybody who debadges their Leica is buying a Leica for all the right reasons, but this is not a topic that needs arguing -- it's a personal choice.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, Jeremy Bunting said:

Also 30, and exactly my experience.

Covering it seems more obvious and attention drawing than not.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use two bodies and I used to have one with a black Leica dot and the other with the red Leica dot. It made no difference to people noticing the camera. It was handy for quickly picking a camera where one had the focus more precisely set than the other.

Most comments are on the lines of "is that a digital camera or an old film camera?". 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, evikne said:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/?iaCode=all-stickers&query=camera logo&ref=search_box

Just choose a cheaper brand if that makes you more comfortable. 😉

Sorry that I was asking a question without explanation.

In 2009 I got robbed and since then afraid to walk with an expensive item on the street.

I know some people painting the Leica inscription that is top of the camera into black and also people are hiding the red dot with a sticker.

i googled and came to this thread, but I couldn’t figure out where I can find black adhesive to cover the Leica brand without damaging the camera.

I love the brand and the use of it, I just want to walk low profile. That’s all :) 

Edited by Buttonbash