Elegant tape solution for covering red dot on silver M

hollisd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Grinding the red dot? No problem if you don't sell but otherwise suffice it to unstick the tape and the buyer can brag right now with his ridiculous logo :D

You can always replace the painted/ground dot with a shiny red dot for the buyer. It is very simple process.

I really don't get the cover-the-dot thinking.

That's what I used to say, too. Eventually, I did cover the red dot—and never got approached and asked about my Leica by strangers again. Before, it did happen ... not very often but occasionally. Having the logo covered does make a difference.

• Like 1

That's what I used to say, too. Eventually, I did cover the red dot—and never got approached and asked about my Leica by strangers again. Before, it did happen ... not very often but occasionally. Having the logo covered does make a difference.

I have found that taping over the dot on my Q and the script on my M-D did nothing to dissuade people from hassling me about my cameras. It simply makes them ask if the camera is a Leica. And LEICA MEN — yes, in the full Ken Rockwell sense — feel absolutely no compunction about talking to you about your camera as you're in medias race shooting pics of skate rats or pretty girls or whatever.

Other Leica owners are the most irritating part of the Leica ownership experience. It's pretty much as bad as having a motorcycle in terms of conjuring unwanted male conversation partners. Dot or no, with tape or without, you are in for a world of pain. The only consolation is that you will learn a lot about the ability of this or that lens's ability to make the red of an apple pop against the red of a firetruck, or what the sweetest aperture is on the 2nd-gen 'Lux 35 ASPH.

• Like 6

Because its their logo...

Yes it is their logo now but oldies like yours truly have never seen this (vulgar to me) thing on their M3, M4, M6J and even M8.2 (black logo). First time i saw it was on my new M4-2 in the eighties. It was easy to unstick then so my first move has been to toss it in the garbage. Too bad, it must have a collectible value now i suspect :D.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Yes it is their logo now but oldies like yours truly have never seen this (vulgar to me) thing on their M3, M4, M6J and even M8.2 (black logo).

Leica Microsystems now owns the red logo and script....and they weren't happy with the use of the black logo on the M8.2 (it appeared only on the black body; the silver M8.2 retained a red logo).  

I liked the black dot, and used them (from DAG) on my then backup (silver) M8.2 and again on my black M240.  I might do the same with an anticipated silver M10.  I'd be fine with no logo, but have never paid more or waited for any P versions.

Funny how these small differences matter to many....it's the only thing I've ever changed or accessorized on any M camera since the early 80's.....otherwise always stock and naked (no cases, etc).  Others' mileage varies.

Incidentally, here's Andy's historical summary of the red logo thing...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249929-understanding-the-effect-of-the-red-spot-logo/?p=2887854

Jeff

I welcome folks who want to chat about cameras on the street. I just ask them to hang out a few minutes and let me finish what I'm doing before we talk, if I'm in the middle of shooting something. It's never been a problem, and I've met a number of good folks that way. 

• Like 9

Yes it is their logo now but oldies like yours truly have never seen this (vulgar to me) thing on their M3, M4, M6J and even M8.2 (black logo). First time i saw it was on my new M4-2 in the eighties. It was easy to unstick then so my first move has been to toss it in the garbage. Too bad, it must have a collectible value now i suspect :D.

attachicon.gifleica_M4-2_nullseries_mini.jpg

One mans vulgar is another mans brand :)

• Like 1