I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:50 AM, ianman said:

Tbh, that's what they are for, isn't it ?

Beats me, mine came without a manual and I probably wouldn't have read it anyway even if it had.  I'm sure I'd have noticed the dots spinning at some point and connected the, er...dots...myself, but the tip was still welcome.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Jon Glass:

Beats me, mine came without a manual and I probably wouldn't have read it anyway even if it had.  I'm sure I'd have noticed the dots spinning at some point and connected the, er...dots...myself, but the tip was still welcome.

You should read the manual, it's great. very thin and with stylish old illustrations of the 50i's . It resembles the old M6 manuals in every way, and some pages are even the same.. especially page 27.look here: 

http://www.overgaard.dk/pdf/MP_Instructions_en.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

You should read the manual, it's great. very thin and with stylish old illustrations of the 50i's . It resembles the old M6 manuals in every way, and some pages are even the same.. especially page 27.look here: 

http://www.overgaard.dk/pdf/MP_Instructions_en.pdf

Thank you for the link!  It appears step 13 on pages 14/67 was the instruction I needed:

13. Then tense the film by carefully turning the pull-out rewind button (15) in the direction of the arrow. The film is properly wound if the rewind button turns in the opposite direction to the arrow when the quick wind lever is operated again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, while I am a new member to the forum I have owned a Leica M9 for use as a photo enthusiast for quite some time now. By way of background, my first 35mm camera was a Minolta X-700 that I got as a teenager. I learned all about photography with that camera as a kid - from composition all the way to development (even had my own make shift darkroom in my parents laundry room at home). 

With the advent of the digital age, my photography transitioned along with the gear. And while I transitioned from Minolta to Sony (when Sony purchased Minolta IP), I always wanted to make the leap to Leica - which I did as my career progressed allowing me to purchase the M9 shortly after it was introduced (and, yes, I have had the sensor replaced). While I still use other gear based on my needs, I ove my M9, I love how it gets my creative juices going, I love the color and character of the photos.

but with all of that, I have been longing for something in my photos for some time now. And I realized that I had started to miss shooting with 35mm film. I looked through old film based photos that I had taken and recalled how much more effort went into shooting them, and how much more character they have compared to my digital photos. So, I began looking into the different Leica options at hand - the M7 (to make an easy transition given its auto exposure mode), the MA (to really go all in and get right back to the basics) or the MP (which seems to be a nice middle ground given its light meter while maintaining true mechanical design).

So, this past weekend I chose the middle ground and ordered a new MP - I am eagerly awaiting its delivery in the coming days. While I am eager, I am also anxious! I have not touched a 35mm film camera in ages. From deciding what type of film to use, being more focused on lighting conditions (digital lets you cheat when it comes to lighting and composition), to figuring out the best way to get film developed efficiently, and even thinking about the idea of rebuilding another darkroom set up.

I have found comfort going through the forum and reading others experiences with their MPs (as well as other Leica 35mm equipment), and I am looking forward to taking the MP out of the box, attaching one of my existing M lens’ to it, opening up the box of a new roll of film (I actually miss the smell of film, if thats not too strange) and inserting into the camera. In a strange way, the first photo I take with it will be quite emotional for me and take me back to the days as a teenager when I was running around with my X700 hanging from my neck shooting any and everything.  

All that said, I just hope upon its arrival I can immediately unpack the equipment, open the back of the camera, insert a new roll of film, and start taking beautiful photos. Based on what I have read, I seem to need to lower my expectations; understanding that I might need to readjust back to using 35mm gear. With such apprehension, its great to read all the fantastic sentiment towards the MP and I hope as I use mine I am able to find the same passion!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheDot said:

Hi everyone, while I am a new member to the forum I have owned a Leica M9 for use as a photo enthusiast for quite some time now. By way of background, my first 35mm camera was a Minolta X-700 that I got as a teenager. I learned all about photography with that camera as a kid - from composition all the way to development (even had my own make shift darkroom in my parents laundry room at home). 

With the advent of the digital age, my photography transitioned along with the gear. And while I transitioned from Minolta to Sony (when Sony purchased Minolta IP), I always wanted to make the leap to Leica - which I did as my career progressed allowing me to purchase the M9 shortly after it was introduced (and, yes, I have had the sensor replaced). While I still use other gear based on my needs, I ove my M9, I love how it gets my creative juices going, I love the color and character of the photos.

but with all of that, I have been longing for something in my photos for some time now. And I realized that I had started to miss shooting with 35mm film. I looked through old film based photos that I had taken and recalled how much more effort went into shooting them, and how much more character they have compared to my digital photos. So, I began looking into the different Leica options at hand - the M7 (to make an easy transition given its auto exposure mode), the MA (to really go all in and get right back to the basics) or the MP (which seems to be a nice middle ground given its light meter while maintaining true mechanical design).

So, this past weekend I chose the middle ground and ordered a new MP - I am eagerly awaiting its delivery in the coming days. While I am eager, I am also anxious! I have not touched a 35mm film camera in ages. From deciding what type of film to use, being more focused on lighting conditions (digital lets you cheat when it comes to lighting and composition), to figuring out the best way to get film developed efficiently, and even thinking about the idea of rebuilding another darkroom set up.

I have found comfort going through the forum and reading others experiences with their MPs (as well as other Leica 35mm equipment), and I am looking forward to taking the MP out of the box, attaching one of my existing M lens’ to it, opening up the box of a new roll of film (I actually miss the smell of film, if thats not too strange) and inserting into the camera. In a strange way, the first photo I take with it will be quite emotional for me and take me back to the days as a teenager when I was running around with my X700 hanging from my neck shooting any and everything.  

All that said, I just hope upon its arrival I can immediately unpack the equipment, open the back of the camera, insert a new roll of film, and start taking beautiful photos. Based on what I have read, I seem to need to lower my expectations; understanding that I might need to readjust back to using 35mm gear. With such apprehension, its great to read all the fantastic sentiment towards the MP and I hope as I use mine I am able to find the same passion!

Dear The Dot,

You made an excellent choice. It will be like riding a bike and come back to you easily especially since your used to the M9 and a rangefinder already. I had some problems with making sure the film got spooled up but if you read the last few posts and take time to read the section in the manual that discusses it you should avoid the issue.

Enjoy the ride...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, BKimelb1 said:

Dear The Dot,

You made an excellent choice. It will be like riding a bike and come back to you easily especially since your used to the M9 and a rangefinder already. I had some problems with making sure the film got spooled up but if you read the last few posts and take time to read the section in the manual that discusses it you should avoid the issue.

Enjoy the ride...

I certainly have read the posts on getting the film spooled up; I am optimistic that I should be able to manage it without killing too many rolls of film for practice! Lol

On 3/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, TheDot said:

Based on what I have read, I seem to need to lower my expectations; understanding that I might need to readjust back to using 35mm gear.

I was exactly in the same position as you. I've had my M9 since it came out and missed film so last year I treated myself to an MP. No transition or readjustment needed at all. You've used film before, you've had plenty of experience with your M9... you'll be up and running before you can say "Summicron"!!

You've made an excellent choice, I'm sure you are going to love it !!  🙂 Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Edited by ianman

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, TheDot said:

All that said, I just hope upon its arrival I can immediately unpack the equipment, open the back bottom of the camera, insert a new roll of film, and start taking beautiful photos.

Small edit!

The film spooling issue really isn't an issue if you're paying attention, don't let my goofs concern you.  You'll be able to go straight out and take pictures. 

I think the MP is an excellent "middle ground" choice between mechanical purity and the convenience of a light meter, I chose it for the same reasons you did.  It's beautifully simple to use.  For me, it has everything I need and nothing I don't.  Many would say the light meter isn't necessary, but they're better photographers than I am.

I'm just a little ahead of you in this process...I just received a text this morning that my first rolls of film have been developed and are ready for pickup!

7 hours ago, Jon Glass said:

Small edit!

The film spooling issue really isn't an issue if you're paying attention, don't let my goofs concern you.  You'll be able to go straight out and take pictures. 

I think the MP is an excellent "middle ground" choice between mechanical purity and the convenience of a light meter, I chose it for the same reasons you did.  It's beautifully simple to use.  For me, it has everything I need and nothing I don't.  Many would say the light meter isn't necessary, but they're better photographers than I am.

I'm just a little ahead of you in this process...I just received a text this morning that my first rolls of film have been developed and are ready for pickup!

I am sure we can share notes along the way! I just put my first roll of film in. Rather straight forward. However, I am trying to turn the ISO dial but it doesn’t seem to turn. Was I supposed to do this before inserting the film and closing the door? 

Ah, never mind, I got it. Now for my first photo.......

Edited by TheDot

20 hours ago, TheDot said:

However, I am trying to turn the ISO dial but it doesn’t seem to turn. 

A common complaint!  There was a thread about this problem quite some time ago and the best advice received was to use the middle part of the thumb (not the tip). Works for me, although it still takes persistence. 

I found the easiest way to turn it is to use both thumbs and apply even pressure, then rotate...and once I moved it a few times, it became easier.  Not sure if the wheel loosened up or if I just got the feel for it, but it's not so bad now.

I will never understand why its made of cheap feeling plastic, however.  The rest of the camera is heirloom quality...that stupid wheel should be made of brass, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon Glass said:

I found the easiest way to turn it is to use both thumbs and apply even pressure, then rotate...and once I moved it a few times, it became easier.  Not sure if the wheel loosened up or if I just got the feel for it, but it's not so bad now.

I will never understand why its made of cheap feeling plastic, however.  The rest of the camera is heirloom quality...that stupid wheel should be made of brass, too.

There's already quite a thread on this. The wheel needs to be at least partly an insulator. Next time you open your camera look at those little gold dots and think about it a bit. You'll get it. Enjoy your MP, it truly is heirloom quality, and that's a very nice way to put it.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 9:48 PM, TheDot said:

.......I am trying to turn the ISO dial but it doesn’t seem to turn....

Press firmly with your thumb and twist.  I rarely change the setting on mine as most of the film I use is either 100 or 50 iso.  

Far too many posts about the MP iso dial, if it really is a deal-breaker for some they’re running out of things to whinge about.  

Enjoy your camera!

• Like 2

The nature of whinging is such that one need never exhaust their supply of causes.

The reminder dial is certainly not a deal-breaker, though I would argue that something does not have to rise of the level of a deal-breaker in order for it to be a valid gripe.  That said, the camera is great and I think the spirit of your post is that we should probably concern ourselves less with the material of an otherwise perfectly functional dial and worry about taking pictures, instead.  Fair point!

I'll be posting a couple of my first shots with the MP today. :D