I love my MP

Just curious, I use Leitz/Leica for decades and never aware of Leica currency.

What is that Leica currency ?

Maybe, that € 1000,- is cheap and € 10.000,- to pay for a lens is acceptable? 

• Like 2

Maybe, that € 1000,- is cheap and € 10.000,- to pay for a lens is acceptable?

Indeed ... but then to say that €10 to develop a roll of E6 is way too expensive, so the solution is to buy an M10. Absurd.

• Like 2

Indeed ... but then to say that €10 to develop a roll of E6 is way too expensive, so the solution is to buy an M10. Absurd.

On the other hand, it's only 25.000 clicks...My MP has.... >30.000. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious, I use Leitz/Leica for decades and never aware of Leica currency.

What is that Leica currency ?

No need to shout at anyone.

I would say it’s the acceptance that Leica cameras and lenses are more expensive than most. The point being that a £3000+ outlay on a new MP or M-A is a cheaper outlay in the long term than any digital Leica M due to it’s limited working life.

I would guess there are photographers who have used the same film Leica M regularly for decades. In 50 years time, I doubt many M10’s will be usable or even remembered.

Leica lenses do not depreciate in the same way as other lenses do. Many can be bought new, used for a few years and sold on for more than the original cost.

Leica lenses do not depreciate in the same way as other lenses do. Many can be bought new, used for a few years and sold on for more than the original cost.

Do you have an example of that ?

Note: Shouting is when someone types in capitals. I think the bold was just used to emphasize the subject of the question.  ;)

Do you have an example of that ?

Note: Shouting is when someone types in capitals. I think the bold was just used to emphasize the subject of the question.  ;)

My Summilux asph 50mm. I bought it new for € 1950,- . I can sell it for € 2600,- which I don't!

I guess we have different interpretations of "a few years"  :)

2004 feels like a few years to me. :p  :)

o.k. I bought my SEM 21 for € 2250,- in 2012 now I can sell it for 2300,- which I don't. 

But maybe you are  right. The new prices keep climbing, but the used prices are not climbing so fast for most lenses.

On the other hand, I could sell my chrome MP for more than I bought it 2013. Anyone like to bid more than € 2300,-? 

Edited by Paulus

Paulus, I think you may be over estimating the prices at which you could really sell those items. For example there is a SEM right now at 2.200 at Leicashop. Their prices are usually quite a bit higher than those sold directly... but of course they come with a warranty.

So although there maybe one or two, or limited edition, lenses that go up in price within "a few years", that is not "many" as was mentioned.

• Like 2

I don't know of any Leica lenses that depreciate as rapidly as any other make in non Leica mounts.  None of this is relevant to anything other than a flippant comment about 'Leica currency', which really comes down to the fact that non digital Leica equipment is expensive to buy new but that cost is offset against low depreciation.  I think we all know that.

Personal experience.

I bought once a Noctilux new and sold it five years later for more than 2.5x what i paid for it.

Sorry for the bolded text, that's for (as Ianman said) "to emphasize the subject".

I would not shout in real life so not in Internet ...discussions.

Ianman wrote

I'm happy to keep my Noctilux 1.0 ;) bought so long time ago at maybe 1/6th of nowaday price...

At one or more times I wanted to upgrade to 0.95 and had tried three times lent from people who love this new comer.

Then when reuse my oldy 1.0 again, never upgrade.

Returning to this topic again.

I loved to use my MPs

Loved to use my BC M4

But now happy user of two M-A for long, I hope.

this old image seen many times in this site...

MP "exchanged" for Monochrom and M4 always with me.

post-69230-14286973160024.jpg

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 4

I bought once a Noctilux new and sold it five years later for more than 2.5x what i paid for it.

Yes, I believe you because I once sold a mint F1 Noctilux for £1000 (slightly below the going rate at the time) and saw what happened a few years later. (I also effectively doubled down on my error by neglecting to buy the Noctilux back with my "M8 apology" lens discount voucher in late 2006.)

However, that period of rapid Leica price inflation before and (especially) after the M9 was released isn't representative of the longer term trend. Apart from newly released, difficult to get hold of, lenses, all new Leica lenses come with a hefty short term depreciation and will take many years before you can get close to getting your money back. Anyone who believes in "Leica currency" should buy something like a 24 Summilux at RRP and see how much you can get for it on the secondhand market. :D

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Yes, I believe you because I once sold a mint F1 Noctilux for £1000 (slightly below the going rate at the time) and saw what happened a few years later. (I also effectively doubled down on my error by neglecting to buy the Noctilux back with my "M8 apology" lens discount voucher in late 2006.)

However, that period of rapid Leica price inflation before and (especially) after the M9 was released isn't representative of the longer term trend. Apart from newly released, difficult to get hold of, lenses, all new Leica lenses come with a hefty short term depreciation and will take many years before you can get close to getting your money back. Anyone who believes in "Leica currency" should buy something like a 24 Summilux at RRP and see how much you can get for it on the secondhand market. :D

In five years time, I would guess your 28mm Summaron and Thambar would both have a used value at least equal to the purchase price you paid.  Your M-A will hold it's value well and your digital M, had you bought it new, is in freefall.

Back to the Noctilux f1, I see some used dealers are pushing prices up to £5k+.  I sold mine  a few years ago when prices were around £4.5-4.8k and was very happy to offload it for the £4.6K I was offered.  I know the buyer also sold it on after a couple of years for the price he paid to me.  Given that most f1 Noctiluxes are on the merry-go-round of being 'pre-loved' (I didn't love mine and still don't), I would assume most are used, for a few years, and sold on again with outlays recouped.

Edited by Ouroboros

Given that most f1 Noctiluxes are on the merry-go-round of being 'pre-loved' (I didn't love mine and still don't), I would assume most are used, for a few years, and sold on again with outlays recouped.

Yes, I think that's right. I imagine the actual number of Noctiluxes manufactured is a fraction of the number of those who have owned it at least once in their lives.

By the way, hasn't anyone got a photo of an MP to add? The thread is going seriously off track.

Edited by wattsy

Yes, I think that's right. I imagine the actual number of Noctiluxes manufactured is a fraction of the number of those who have owned it at least once in their lives.

By the way, hasn't anyone got a photo of an MP to add? The thread is going seriously off track.

You're right, enough of boring.

With the lens that makes my MP feel like an MP:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3