new leica lens technology heads towards smartphones

imants

Are you speaking about the collaboration with Huawei?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mock all you want but more people take images with smartphones than with an 'M', and as someone once said you gotta skate to where the puck will be. The future is in mobile and smartphones.

You can read this as mocking, but when has this been not true? Insert "Instamatic" or any other "mass consumer" device. I have a growing suspicion that Leica does not cater to the mass market. Never did. Presumably never will. They aim to corner all of 1% of the camera market, or was it 2%?

You can read this as mocking, but when has this been not true? Insert "Instamatic" or any other "mass consumer" device. I have a growing suspicion that Leica does not cater to the mass market. Never did. Presumably never will. They aim to corner all of 1% of the camera market, or was it 2%?

i do not take this to be a mocking... 

As I understand it -- a VC firm owns a share of "Leica".... I do not believe any VC firm will be satisfied w/ 1 or 2% of any market....

The 'old' Leica would never have entered into an agreement w/ Huawei or any smartphone manufacturer--- if the english translation of the french interview that i read yesterday is accurate. . . Leica was in negotiations with several smartphone manufacturers.

Edited by prk60091

Ironic in a way that a deal over the latest smartphone still has to be sealed by pen on paper!

I guess Dr K.and the other fellow could have sliced their palms with a sharp knife and shook on it but I think putting pen to paper (even if only symbolically) is still the preferred method of concluding a business deal. Although I see where you are coming from I'm not sure what would be more appropriate to a smartphone deal: an exchange of text messages? :D

Edited by wattsy

I guess Dr K.and the other fellow could have sliced their palms with a sharp knife and shook on it but I think putting pen to paper (even if only symbolically) is still the preferred method of concluding a business deal. Although I see where you are coming from I'm not sure what would be more appropriate to a smartphone deal: an exchange of text messages? :D

Well why not? But I was thinking of an exchange of contract with digital signatures via their phones. There's probably an app for that!

Not so much the Huawei as that collaboration is already set and in place discussed    ................... more about http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/andreas-kaufmann-believes-photographic-companies-foot-grave/

Setting up new lenses has to be on Leica's mind most of the m lens technology has run its course for now new avenues abound beyond the SL, Q and T as all that is a bit of same same not much different.

It is all about  a smartphone being viewed as camera/video hardware not as a phone

Social Media hardware is where survival exists

Edited by Imants
  • Like 1

Not so much the Huawei as that collaboration is already set and in place discussed    ................... more about http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/andreas-kaufmann-believes-photographic-companies-foot-grave/

Setting up new lenses has to be on Leica's mind most of the m lens technology has run its course for now new avenues abound beyond the SL, Q and T as all that is a bit of same same not much different.

Ah, then Leica should make a social media camera. Forget the phone/internet stuff. That can be supported by any second-class phone maker, or none. Ah, a Leica with built-in smart phone, which would be the very smallest part of its structure.

Not so much the Huawei as that collaboration is already set and in place discussed ................... more about http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/andreas-kaufmann-believes-photographic-companies-foot-grave/

It is all about a smartphone being viewed as camera/video hardware not as a phone

Social Media hardware is where survival exists

Hardly new news. Camera sales have declined by a huge amount over recent years and it's the lower end of the market that been hit most.

The prospects are better for higher end and niche equipment- stuff that smartphones can't do basically.

I am not referring to camera sales etc 

....it is about what the smartphone ideology  can offer.

Niche markets are too small for R&D, partnering with Panasonic and Huawei has given Leica a greater scope just as Zeiss has with Sony etc

You are still viewing things from a camera perspective it is the multimedia/social media hardware that will take the top spot  and that is even in the higher end of the market. The camera is a bit playerNikon and

Canon are like the fossil fuel car companies of the past..... no no to electric  etc     so will the big  white Canon lenses disappear from the sports arena

Edited by Imants