New Leica SL Lenses & Roadmap!

LUF Admin

• 2 months later...

I‘m not sure if anyone has noticed this: APO-Summicron 35 SL was used for article in the January issue of LFI!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, stonemonkey said:

I‘m not sure if anyone has noticed this: APO-Summicron 35 SL was used for article in the January issue of LFI!

Actually I had picked up on that when reading the article.  For very early comparisons (:)), here's a shot of Pfalzgrafenstein Castle taken with the 35 SL posted in the article, and one taken by me with the SL24-90, while traveling the Rhine a couple of years ago. See next post.

Edited by ropo54

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 6bit said:

Your lens saturated the colors better. 😉

Indeed, I did "cheat" a little!  It was a gray day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2018 was an eventful year for Leica SL users as both the wide angle zoom 16-35mm and the SL Summicron 75 & 90 short tele were made available.

It would be an equally anticipating year 2019 as both the SL Summicron 35 and SLII should debut if no surprises.

Equally anticipating is how well the Panasonic S1R will take on Leica SL native lenses?

Will the latest DFD technology coupled with in body stabalization make it a perfect match with the Leica VE 90-280mm addressing the short comings of the 1st generation DFD technology on the aging Leica SL? Or will the Leica SLII be equally capable in AF-C when it finally debuts later in the year?

57 minutes ago, Iainho70 said:

The SL Summicron 35 is a lens I am waiting for. Impatiently. Hopefully, it will be out before Easter.

Just hand your credit card to any Leica store worldwide to make a full payment after the Preorder be announced by Leica will secure you one of the shortest waiting time as in the past with all the rest of the new Leica releases.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 5:07 AM, stonemonkey said:

I received my LFI just yesterday. I browsed through Edouard Caupeil’s article, noting that he had used the 35mm cron-sl and the 50mm lux-sl. I thumbed through the back and noticed Mioara Chiparus’s photograph of a boy with the Noctilux 0.95. I did a double take because Chiparus’s photo was noticeably softer than Caupel’s photos, and Caupel’s had been cropped to squares. I looked through the rest of the issue and even the 35mm Summilux-M photos all looked soft compared to the SL lens pictures, including Bob Chiu’s Done with the Vario-Elmarit-SL. While I’d be first in line to say that sharpness doesn’t a picture make, it does seem that the SL lenses are quite a step up from Leica’s previous iterations. I wouldn’t have expected such a difference in a letter-sized magazine. I had been thinking of buying a used 0.95, but have decided that I will keep my 50mm lux-sl.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Sounds like GAS, but if you really want to compare, there are more effective ways than some random magazine pic....

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica-50mm-f0.95-noctilux

A 3 day rental will at least give you some practical experience, and some files to print yourself.  

Jeff

No, it is not a form of GAS, but rather an observation about the renderings of certain lenses. I have no interest in doing comparisons. I have a 35mm Summilux-M, and have no plans on selling it, replacing it, or not using it. Frankly, I think it’s silly that you can’t make an observation like this and have GAS or some “do a valid comparison” thrown at you. We print, by the way, our own letter-sized magazine.

Edited by Agent M10
  • Like 1

Funny, I don’t see the words “do a valid comparison”.  What I do see is a friendly suggestion on a means to gain more personal, practical experience (which, by the way, can help one understand handling, size, weight, ergonomics, and other characteristics beyond IQ).  Sorry to take the time to give you a link to a good resource should you be remotely interested.  

You say you have no interest in making comparisons.  But you already did (and a purchase decision)... based on magazine pics.   Cool.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I use both the M system & SL system.

I am certain that the SL lenses (all of them) are distinctly sharper in images produced than my M lenses below:

21 Lux asph

35 Lux asph

50 Noctilux 0.95 &

90 APO

even though I have no intention to part with them.

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

It’s called forum discussion.  We’re free to post and comment without insult, or ignore.

Jeff

I was surprised to see such a difference in LFI, given it is just letter size and the photos are even smaller than that. I don’t plan to give up my M lenses either,.

My copy of LFI hasn't arrived yet, darn.  My M lenses are little treasures, cross platform and good enough for insanely gorgeous imaging.  The SL lenses while being beyond compare and technically more perfect offer a different photography experience, one that I enjoy and will embrace with more time (and money).  

After evaluating the Nikon Z7 and it's small zoom it was apparent Leica continues to hold a huge optical lead over other camera manufactures, who have only recently tried to close this gap.  

Given this I am more satisfied with my M lenses than ever before, and with the slow addition of SL lenses Leica offers the best of all worlds.  

Looking forward to the new issue, thanks for the heads up on the observation of IQ.

• Like 2