MATE discontinued

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark and Bob,

More telling than asking about the 'can not" verbage in the message from Leica, is the identity of the article(s) that can't be produced its self.

Given that their lenses are just glass and metal, I suspect the culprit here is glass rather than metal. They probably simply can't get one of more of the formulations that were used in the past. They were probably the only customer for these, and it became uneconomic for their maker to continue production, given Leica volumes.

Best,

Jerry

P.S. Glad I have mine for shooting, and later on the heirs will be happy to.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just read an interesting comment on Uwe Steinmueller's site from Leica regarding the MATE, Leica M8 Experience

"The LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 28-35-50mm f/4 ASPH. is one of the most complex Leica M lenses. It is extremely demanding in terms of assembling the individual mechanical and optical parts. Sadly, one of the key parts cannot be acquired in the quality necessary for the lens performance any longer. Every attempt to replace this part with an alternative only resulted in a lens with a rendition quality well below the Leica standard. Therefore, we were forced to discontinue the lens".

Thanks for the link and quote.

That's the same wording Leica Technical in NJ used when I spoke to them a few days after the speculation appeared here that it was loss of a particular glass, as I alluded to at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29844-28-35-50-tri-elmar-coding.html#post312800.

--HC

...or at least bring back the glass stocks. Leica used to stock all the important glass types, but apparently they stopped at some point, reverting to JIT. This might have saved the price of the Noctilux and both the 75 Lux and Tri-Elmar.

Bring back the Leitz Glass Lab!

Mark--

Hear, hear! As long as they are beholden to others for supply, their designs may not be as robust as we saw previously.

In another thread you remarked on our (and possibly also Leica's) surprise at the discontinuation of various lenses, speculating whether it might be due to unexpected price increases or materials shortages, or whether from the beginning only a particular quantity was booked.

Not to stoke a fire that may still be merely smoldering, but it might be that the cost accountants have got into the fray. Leica has been a very canny bunch of technicians with a hit-or-miss business sense. Now the accounting trolls may have appeared with their profit graphs of units salable vs price-points vs costs. :(

The glass lab was an expensive, inefficient proposition. It brought Leitz to the front of optical design, but was also part of the cause of their insolvency.

Carsten--

You're right about the Japanese source of a lot of glass, but Schott and (at least in the past) Corning in the US were also involved. Nothing wrong with getting it from the lowest bidder, but at least they previously had the option of falling back on their own expertise when all else failed.

And I'm not sure that simply keeping stocks would help so much. What happens if you buy stock and then the price drops? And at some point you run out your stock and have to reorder.

--HC

Erm, I am not sure where I mentioned the Japanese. I know that Leitz glass mostly went to Schott or Corning, and that Leica now buys back the glass from there... JIT = Just In Time, in case that was the cause of confusion.

If the price goes up for good, there is nothing you can do, except cdelay the inevitable. However, I would bet that a lot of the price raises have more to do with temporary shortages of various raw materials than permanence.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

JIT = Just In Time, in case that was the cause of confusion.

OOPS! I thought it was the Japanese Industrial Complex.

You're right, of course. But they've always purchased or made in batches, so far as I'm aware. Run out of glass for a particular design, make another batch. But I'm speaking of the days of the Leitz Glass Lab, when a 'batch' might be as little as a single cauldron--also not very efficient. :(

Sorry for the confusion. At least it's good that we're all ready to solve Leica's financial problems by both instruction and purchase. :)

--HC

Erm, I am not sure where I mentioned the Japanese. I know that Leitz glass mostly went to Schott or Corning, and that Leica now buys back the glass from there... JIT = Just In Time, in case that was the cause of confusion.

If the price goes up for good, there is nothing you can do, except cdelay the inevitable. However, I would bet that a lot of the price raises have more to do with temporary shortages of various raw materials than permanence.

Does anyone know if there is a financial link between Schott and The Zeiss Foundation or is Zeiss just a customer of Schott.

Wilson

Mark, I would be surprised if this would be possible. Leitz developed some of the glasses which they then transferred to Schott or Corning when the Leitz glass lab shut down, so I am sure that the glass types are covered by some carefully written contract.

I recall reading that Leica seem to have been a little surprised by the volume of lens and accessory sales following the debut of the M8. I wonder how much of an effect this has had on Leica's ability to support manufacturing of complex lenses such as the Tri Elmar, Lux'es etc?

Do you think that perhaps where they thought they had sufficient stocks to last for some time but suddenly demand out stripped the planned supply?

As mentioned though, I'm sure the bean counters and new management had to take a look at the financial exposure of the company and decide what products live and which run out production. I just hope that we're going to see some new innovative lenses to suite the digital cameras. The WATE is a great start and no doubt a lot simpler and more profitable to build without the rangefinder frame coupling requirements of the MATE. I have to think that Leica recognize the need for a new WA prime lens in the 12 - 16mm range. I'm sure that Voigtlander have been rubbing their hands with glee at the volume of 12 & 15mm wides being sold these days.

Does anyone know if Leica have patented the lens coding? I wonder what's really stopping someone like CV or Zeiss from producing coded lens flanges now?

Technical products have an economical lifespan in production - when manufacturing costs get so high that the positioning in the market gets problematic, production is stopped. That happens when raw materials used for that particular design get too expensive, or the the production process gets too costly (read labour -intensive)compared to more modern designs, or for a host of other reasons. Whether that product is really obsolete or whether there still is a group of potential customers around is really not a factor in that decision -sadly.See the Concorde, the Volvo 240, etc...

Does anyone know if Leica have patented the lens coding? I wonder what's really stopping someone like CV or Zeiss from producing coded lens flanges now?

See

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/13272-self-coded-35mm-summicron-m-asph-4.html#post169794

on this. Sounds like it's patented or otherwise protected.

Whether that product is really obsolete or whether there still is a group of potential customers around is really not a factor in that decision -sadly.See the Concorde, the Volvo 240, etc...

Not sure the Concorde is a good example. That had a special problem...

Great plane to fly in though and if you ever get the chance, go to the museum in Sinsheim in Germany where they have one of the Concordes and a Russian "Concordski" on stilts over the musuem...

The Russian model was called TU-144 and actually flew before the Concorde. The first model plane I built when I was a kid.