MATE discontinued

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received an email from Leica this evening regarding my choice of a tri-elmar for my 30% discount lens:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

much to our regret we have to inform you that the lens Tri-Elmar-M 1:4/28-35-50mm ASPH. that you have ordered is no more available. A successor is not planned.

We are very sorry that we have to take this action. It goes without saying that you are free to choose a different lens from the enclosed list. Please be assured that your order will be treated with priority.

As compensation for the delay we offer you a D-Lux 3 for the special price of € 510,- instead of € 599,-.

Please let us know your decision.

Thank you

Your Leica Camera Team

So that should confirm what has been said.

Add me to the list of people looking for a coded version 2 tri-elmar, esp in the UK. If you see one, could you let me know?

(Bernd, I checked your link but the chap says he'd only ship within Germany. grrrr....)

and then I have to work out with Leica to take back the IR filter and exchange it... grrrr

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gone were the days when Leica designed and made all the lens glass...

There are said that some asph elements are now from the east. Can't verify...

Leica doesn't make its own glass. They source over 200 formulations of optical glass from high-end glass makers. The glass arrives as raw blanks. They do, however, grind, polish and multicoat every lens element in Solms. Each element undergoes 40-60 minutes of grindng and polishing. Time for multi-coating is a bit of a trade secret, though. So, say 2 hours goes in to make each element... we're talking 14 hours for an average 7 element lens, not including assembly, alignment, or QA.

Something to think about.

David

I kind of reluctantly bought one earlier this year, also discontinued dealer stock, for about $1500. I'm glad I did.

For some shots, its not right as a walkaround lens, as it sets the weight center of the camera too far forward. But other times, when you want all three lenses, boy, its a delight. Sorry they're not making them anymore. Its a bit of a marvel.

Don't dismiss the first-gen tri - I have a first-gen Tri-elmar, and am very happy with it....the click stops are fine (they must have fixed that part way through, before the second-gen came out), I don't need the DOF scales (they are in the book, I can remember a couple of settings for hyperfocal, and with digital I can see how it looks after the shot anyway), and I prefer having a lens hood built-in to having to mount it....it isn't usually mounted on my camera, and it is easier to fit it in the bag and pull it out with the built-in hood, compared to a separate one. Optics the same, price a lot lower (used).

Mark, Here is the list of the lenses which are available for order:

Elmarit-M 21 mm f/2.8, black

Elmarit-M 24 mm f/2.8 ASPH., black

Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH., black

Summilux-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH., black

Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH., black

Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH., silver

Noctilux-M 50 mm f/1, black

Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH., black

Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH., silver

Summicron-M 50 mm f/2, black

Summicron-M 50 mm f/2, silver

Elmar-M 50 mm f/2.8, silver

Elmar-M 50 mm f/2.8, black

Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH., black

Macro-Elmar-M 90 mm f/4, black

Macro-Elmar-M 90 mm f/4, silver

Apo-Summicron-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH., black

Elmarit-M 90 mm f/2.8, black

Apo-Telyt-M 135 mm f/3.4, black

90 macro set

WATE

I just ordered a second hand first version of a tri-elmar from Ffordes said to be almost new and boxed for £1k but because of the way their ordering works I'm not sure I actually got it. Won't know until Mon or Tues. Fingers crossed.

Eric, is there really no 28/2.8 Asph on the list?

Carsten, I just copied the list they sent and pasted it in the forum text box. Nope, the 28/2.8 isn't on the list though its hard to imagine that they'd be dropping it. Perhaps their margins wouldn't justify 30% off?

Just got home with my new TE :D

Of course, there are a couple of things... firstly, it doesn't come with a hood < gasp >. Hmmm.... so now I have to figure out how/where to get a hood!

Next, the TE really does show up the problems of inaccurate frame lines. Taking my very first shot @ 50mm, and reviewing the shot, I would have sworn the lens was at 35mm and not 50mm by looking at the shot and comparing with frame lines! Hmmm...

After more investigation, the 35mm looks more like 28mm and the 28mm looks more like 21-24 !! This may take a little more getting used to!

Carsten, to answer your question from yesterday about price, is was just over £1400 + tax. Other places were asking £16xx + tax or more and didn't even have stock. I did find one more shop with one in stock that wanted full list price. I was told today by the shop manager that put my name on it yesterday that he had 4 other people asking for this lens yesterday. I am glad he kept it for me :)

Mark, Here is the list of the lenses which are available for order:

: :

Elmar-M 50 mm f/2.8, black

Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH., black

Macro-Elmar-M 90 mm f/4, black

So, nothing where the 75/1.4 should be; seems that lens is for the chop as well. I'm taking bets on what's next...

David,

I just got a hood from my Leica dealer £116.00 for the E49 mkII luckily because of what I have purchased in the past M8,WATE etc they were able to give some discount off the retail price.

I would strongly urge you to get one quick or they will run out of stock ,most dealers said it was an order only item,luckily the one I wanted was in stock at Leica and it arrived in 3 days,

Cheers

Matthew.

I didn't mean the focal length would be dropped, simply that the lens needs updating in its present form.

The 35/1.4 was one of the first ASPH lenses and as tests here have revealed, the level of residual spherical aberation which causes focus shift as you stop down is a problem. There appear to be differences between the aluminium and brass bodied lenses but since the 35/1.4 is, as you say, one of the most versatile lenses, it needs to be better and is ready for a re-design. For a lens at this price level, it shouldn't be necessary to nudge the focussing ring just because you want to shoot at f4.

I believe Sean Reid is testing the 35s, so it will be interesting to see what he makes of it.

Just picked up a used Ver. 2 TE (49mm filter) that does not have a lens hood.

This thread certainly helped me make up my mind on the purchase.

Does anyone know if this is a generic lens hood (that fitted other lenses as well, maybe the old 28 2,8) or is it a unique to the TE hood. Anyone know the part number??

Does anyone know if this is a generic lens hood (that fitted other lenses as well, maybe the old 28 2,8) or is it a unique to the TE hood. Anyone know the part number??

It's unique to that lens. It doesn't come with the lens and costs about 120 quid.

I just got a hood from my Leica dealer £116.00 for the E49 mkII luckily because of what I have purchased in the past M8,WATE etc they were able to give some discount off the retail price.

I would strongly urge you to get one quick or they will run out of stock ,most dealers said it was an order only item,luckily the one I wanted was in stock at Leica and it arrived in 3 days,

David,

Check with your dealer as it turns out there are two types of hood for the E49 MkII MATE as I found out when i tried the one that they had in stock,mine was the early E49 mkII not the current E49 MKII

Cheers

Matthew.

I didn't mean the focal length would be dropped, simply that the lens needs updating in its present form.

The 35/1.4 was one of the first ASPH lenses and as tests here have revealed, the level of residual spherical aberation which causes focus shift as you stop down is a problem. There appear to be differences between the aluminium and brass bodied lenses but since the 35/1.4 is, as you say, one of the most versatile lenses, it needs to be better and is ready for a re-design. For a lens at this price level, it shouldn't be necessary to nudge the focussing ring just because you want to shoot at f4.

I believe Sean Reid is testing the 35s, so it will be interesting to see what he makes of it.

Mark, it's my understanding that Sean has not found focus shift on the Leica 35s to be out of acceptable tolerance but I also think that there are a lot of sample variation issues with them and possibly the 28 cron too: so maybe they're all up for reconsideration?

t