Sekonic twin mate (or other small meter)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, madNbad said:

I keep dragging the 398 out of storage but found the Digisix will do everything anyone needs. Glad it’s working for you.

I was considering getting a 398 but I was turned off by the whole high slide thing. Just seems annoying, and easily lost. Do you find it annoying in practice?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Sean G said:

I was considering getting a 398 but I was turned off by the whole high slide thing. Just seems annoying, and easily lost. Do you find it annoying in practice?

Nope. There’s a spot on the back of the meter to store the High slide. Over the years I’ve owned a L-28, a 398, a 398M and two 398As and maybe a few more I missed. Plus the Direct Reading Slides but they’re more for cinematography. The older meters used a selenium cell to read the new ones use an amorphous sensor. Every one has been accurate and incident metering gives a reading based on the light falling on the scene instead of reflected off of an object. Older models can be  enough of a bargain that it’s worth picking one up just to try it. In the open, I read off the palm of my hand if there is no way to stand at the subject and point the meter back towards the camera. Watch some old videos of Joel Meyerowitz working the street with a M4 and a 398. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

17 hours ago, madNbad said:

welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

Yeah it seems like a great meter! Good to hear that the high slide isn't too much of a burden on usability. I ended up ordering a Sekonic L-308X-U instead. I just got it and I love the simplicity of operation. Once the ISO is dialed it's so easy to grab a reading. But I have a feeling I may come back to the 398 one day, since it doesn't need batteries, and just looks so cool!

27 minutes ago, Sean G said:

Thank you!

Yeah it seems like a great meter! Good to hear that the high slide isn't too much of a burden on usability. I ended up ordering a Sekonic L-308X-U instead. I just got it and I love the simplicity of operation. Once the ISO is dialed it's so easy to grab a reading. But I have a feeling I may come back to the 398 one day, since it doesn't need batteries, and just looks so cool!

Good choice! I had a 308S and the X model. I sold the 308X last year after selling my flash equipment and found I didn’t need all it offered. It’s a great little meter and there’s a silicone case that comes in a couple of different colors that offers a lot of protection and doesn’t add much bulk. I added a Gossen Digisix to have an easy to use full featured meter for when I would like to have the option for reflective metering without having to carry the Lumigrid. 

Edited by madNbad

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Oops I’ve lost my Digisix last weekend, which I really liked, especially the size.    I’ll have to re read this thread as they aren’t easily available in Aus and I need a light meter for Wednesday. 

Perhaps I’ll get one with flash capabilities this time.  

Sekonic L-308X seems one of the better priced options here.  Has anyone here owned both and if so how does the size compare to Digisix please ?  I can probably view one tomorrow also  

Edited by grahamc

Posted (edited)

Actually now I remember the twin mate’s features I might just get that. It’s small and half the price of a 308X.    I also liked how the digisix gave all the aperture/shutter speed combinations, twin mate also does.  

FWIW I did experience a couple of issues with the Digisix, but bare in mind the first 2 could be because I may have gotten the unit slightly damp (I wasn’t fully sure if I did but gave it the benefit of the doubt when it started playing up):

- didn’t hold ISO value set and kept returning to 100 so would need to be set again 

- screen LED readout was temperamental sometimes failed or was random shapes instead of numbers 

- battery drain (common with digisix as you can’t switch them off)

So, the all analogue-style of setting ISO (and readings) in the twinmate could offer an improvement on these functions , despite me originally thinking that the LED readout/digital ISO setting would make Digisix the better choice   👍

Edited by grahamc

Posted (edited)

The Sekonic L-208 Twinmate is a very handy little meter, used one for years. Simple, accurate enough and effective, if you can find one it's worth consideration.

Additional info': But the L-208 uses batteries as do most new meters and guess what, they can die just when you need them!  if you can find one I also really like the old Weston Master V, a near perfect, no battery, meter.

Edited by Smudgerer
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Smudgerer said:

The Sekonic L-208 Twinmate is a very handy little meter, used one for years. Simple, accurate enough and effective, if you can find one it's worth consideration.

Addition: But the L-208 uses batteries as do most new meters and guess what, they can die just when you need them!  if you can find one I also really like the old Weston Master V, a near perfect, no battery, meter.

Great, thanks !

The L-208 is a good meter, one of the three I use on a regular basis. But you do have to be careful of turning the dial if it's in your pocket so always check the ISO. The battery lasts forever, like my old 308, and the only time it let me down I was in the middle of nowhere with no spare battery, so I download a light meter app on my iPhone. The app is pretty accurate. and you can see exactly what you are pointing it at, but my iPhone is like a slippery bar of soap so it hardly ever gets used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After trying the Digisix and its battery drain, I also ended up with an L-208 for a small handheld meter. I still use a LunaLux SBC for checking meter accuracy, but its about like carrying a second camera. I also use a shoe-mounted VC Meter II on ltm cameras.

• Thanks 1