Dear Leica a new lens request

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The logical next are Summicrons 24 and 21.

With the SL still wanting for native optics and further improved high-ISO performance expected in the upcoming M mated as they would be to existing world-class super Elmars, I'm not convinced that's where Leica would plow finite resources into. 

With the SL still wanting for native optics and further improved high-ISO performance expected in the upcoming M mated as they would be to existing world-class super Elmars, I'm not convinced that's where Leica would plow finite resources into.

Are we talking Leica-M glass or Leica-anything glass?

In my opinion, there will be 21 and 24 crons in the M line. What's happening in the SL line is the least of my concerns.

What's happening in the SL line is the least of my concerns.

It's the least of mine as well, but as Leica has invested a bit of change to make it happen, the SL won't be left as a standalone dependent upon M glass. This effort is likely to re-direct resources from the M, probably at the expense of new lens development--unless of course they adapt SL designs like the upcoming 50 Summilux by downsizing, as once occurred outright with the R 90 AA and slightly modified with R 80 Summilux (75 M Summilux).

Edited by james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am basically well covered with the current M line up. What I might be interested in would be a:

- 60 mm at f 1.2 

- 24-60 mm zoom at f 2.8; ready once the M switches to an SL-style electronic build-in viewfinder or provides that as an option instead of the OVF (I'll probably get a lot of heat for this from the OVF faithful  ;) )

• Like 1

Another thought is a greater compromise wide open. Seems the SEM's and most newer designed lenses are designed as near perfect as possible wide open especially in the corners. If they could rebuild a few lenses with some compromise wide open, but no more than Mandler allowed for (excellent in the centre) and made some smaller summicrons say 18,21,28 ad of course a remake of the lovely mkiv 35mm with minor tweaks. We could have a little character smaller and faster than might otherwise be the case. We can always stop it down if stellar corner detail is required

I am basically well covered with the current M line up. What I might be interested in would be a:

- 60 mm at f 1.2 

- 24-60 mm zoom at f 2.8; ready once the M switches to an SL-style electronic build-in viewfinder or provides that as an option instead of the OVF (I'll probably get a lot of heat for this from the OVF faithful  ;) )

Once? That might be a very long wait....Actually that would mean the discontinuation of the M system in favour of an AF compact system that would be retrocompatible.

The best you can hope for is a MATE-type lens.

Leica already has what you are looking for; it is called the SL + zoom lenses.

Why not 44/1.8, 58/1.1 or 63/0.5 folks? With what framelines? We already have 50/0.95, 50/1.4, 50/2 (two!) and 50/2.5 plus s/h 50/1.0 and 50/2.8 standard lenses. Not sure what camera maker treats its customers better.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

Why not 44/1.8, 58/1.1 or 63/0.5 folks? With what framelines? We already have 50/0.95, 50/1.4, 50/2 (two!) and 50/2.5 plus s/h 50/1.0 and 50/2.8 standard lenses. Not sure what camera maker treats its customers better.

But we still haven't got our 35-36-37mm f/4 Tri-Elmar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once? That might be a very long wait....Actually that would mean the discontinuation of the M system in favour of an AF compact system that would be retrocompatible.

The best you can hope for is a MATE-type lens.

Leica already has what you are looking for; it is called the SL + zoom lenses.

Nope, I did not say AF (I do have an SL but will never buy these huge zooms). A compact manual focus zoom paired with an EVF is what would interest me. - I did have a MATE and this is the only Leica M lens I ever sold. It's nice for a city tour or landscapes but not enough depth of field to play with for subject separation  (that's why I wrote 2.8). - I am aware of all kinds of alternatives, the question was which new lens I would be interested in...

Edited by MRJohn

60, 1.2 now that's an odd one

maybe, but Konica had something like that (I think 58 mm) which is outrageously expensive on the used market. I do have a Hexanon 50/1.2 which is fabulous on the M240. Getting a little closer would be nice, otherwise too much overlap with the current 50 mm range of Leica lenses... There would be an issue of framelines but one could use the 50mm framelines and get used to the added inaccuracy. Otherwise, looking forward to the evolution of EVF options (internal or external) for the M line.

Why not 44/1.8, 58/1.1 or 63/0.5 folks? With what framelines? We already have 50/0.95, 50/1.4, 50/2 (two!) and 50/2.5 plus s/h 50/1.0 and 50/2.8 standard lenses. Not sure what camera maker treats its customers better.

A 52mm f1.4, you forgot that one.

My budget is my limiting factor rather than Leica's lens catalog but for my uses a 16mm Tilt Shift lens would slot in nicely for when my buddy needs architecture done. I've been using the Super-Elmar-T 11-23mm but I've mostly been using it at the 11mm end and being very careful with perspective and distortion. My next lens is probably going to be a CV 15mm which will probably do but if I could ask Leica to add one more lens a 16mm TS is what I'd ask for. If not that then just a 16mm which isn't a Tri-Elmar.

How about a Pent-Elmar? 5 focal lengths! 28,35,50,75 and 90- AWESOME!

or if that just too hard- how about a new tri elmar 35-50-75?

failing that-  Bi-Elmars sound do-able.

I just got a Mate tri elmar- and I must say it is a revelation to be able to simply change frame lines and focal lengths by turning a dial. It's as if the rangefinder camera platform has finally been completed by such a lens.

Edited by jaques