Anyone sent in their M240 for an a-la-carte treatment?

enboe

Yup. Will post when it returns, should not be too long now.

I have it changed from beaten-up black to bright chrome, M-P style with engraving and Khaki leather. A sapphire LCD was too much extra cost IMO, I think a decent screen-protector is fine.

• Like 1

The website seems to only offer this as an option on new camera orders. Is there a link for existing M owners to have custom work done?

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-a-la-carte/Redesign-Options It indicates options but gives no prices and just leads to the standard Leica repair/service order form.

• Like 1

From the extensive mail exchange:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I received replies today regarding my query for an M-P top plate and for good measure black direction pad/info button and the setting dial (thumb wheel):  

Here are the costs for an á la carte change of your Leica M 240

1: changing the top cover plate into the M-P model, there are two options

a.       The Leica logo engraved on the top cover plate ----- 516 EURO

b.      The engraving of “Leica Camera – Made in Germany” on the back of the camera ---- 718 EURO

2:  The M-P base plate is the same as on the M 240

3:  For the exchange of the direction pad/info button and the setting dial, we need to exchange the cameras back cover.

Here you have the option for the replacement with the much stronger sapphire glass as well.

a.      Replacement of the back cover with sapphire glass ----------  890 EUR

b.      Replacement without the sapphire glass                     ----------- 591 EUR

Additional to the costs for the parts, you will have to figure on 385 EURO  labour costs

The duration for this exchange will be at least 4 weeks.

I asked for the procedure should I  decide to have the work done:

If you should decide to send the camera to Germany, please send the camera with the  repair form sheet attached.

Unfortunately we have this form sheet so far only available in German.

But you can also send along a copy of your earlier e.-mail inquiry.

• Like 1

Thank you all for responding to my query.  I found out today that the a-la-carte program is not supported for the M240 series in the United States.  Fortunate for you outside my country - enjoy your green leather!

Eric

Strangely, the USA website offers this redesign offer:  I am wondering why some representatives are saying otherwise. The least they could -and should!- do is send the camera on to Wetzlar if they cannot handle it themselves.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-a-la-carte/Redesign-Options

The new outfit for your Leica is only a click away. Simply use the contact form below and name the re-design options you prefer for your camera.

Of course it leads to the standard repair form; the makeover is done by Customer Service. I would fill it out like: "Exchange top plate to Bright Chrome M-P style top engraving, Exchange LCD for Sapphire, etc."

I received replies today regarding my query for an M-P top plate and for good measure black direction pad/info button and the setting dial (thumb wheel):  

Here are the costs for an á la carte change of your Leica M 240

1: changing the top cover plate into the M-P model, there are two options

a.       The Leica logo engraved on the top cover plate ----- 516 EURO

b.      The engraving of “Leica Camera – Made in Germany” on the back of the camera ---- 718 EURO

2:  The M-P base plate is the same as on the M 240

3:  For the exchange of the direction pad/info button and the setting dial, we need to exchange the cameras back cover.

Here you have the option for the replacement with the much stronger sapphire glass as well.

a.      Replacement of the back cover with sapphire glass ----------  890 EUR

b.      Replacement without the sapphire glass                     ----------- 591 EUR

Additional to the costs for the parts, you will have to figure on 385 EURO  labour costs

The duration for this exchange will be at least 4 weeks.

I asked for the procedure should I  decide to have the work done:

If you should decide to send the camera to Germany, please send the camera with the  repair form sheet attached.

Unfortunately we have this form sheet so far only available in German.

But you can also send along a copy of your earlier e.-mail inquiry.

New leather trim in 'shocking pink' apart, wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just PX ones M240 for the M240P? That way you'd get the MP cosmetics and the larger buffer too.

Strangely, the USA website offers this redesign offer:  I am wondering why some representatives are saying otherwise. The least they could -and should!- do is send the camera on to Wetzlar if they cannot handle it themselves.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-a-la-carte/Redesign-Options

Jaap,

That's what I thought as well, and pointed it out via email to the manager of the local Leica Gallerie.  I am a bit soured by the experience, but don't want to raise too much of a stink so that I don't get black-balled for future wait lists.  Hopefully someone from Leica Germany gets ahold of this thread and rectifies the inconsistent service issues.  This forum did, after all, begin as a page of the official website way back when.

Thanks again.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have some carelessly inflicted (by me) blemishes on my top plate which would reduce my resale value. I'm only really after the top cover plate.

Will euro 500 (for top plate) cover the resale price difference?