Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH 2016 #11672-- Owners Thread

stump4545

No problem for me, pop. I have discussed this with the leading technician of the Swiss Leica Customer Service in Nidau after having tried three different copies of the Apo-Summicron 90mm. There are good copies of this lens but also a lot of tricky ones. And these even focus differently when you turn the focus ring from near distance to the focus distance or from infinity to focus distance. It is very difficult to adjust these copies in service. So this is only an opinion, not a rumor.

• Like 2

Thanks, Daniel. I was reminding Otto not to call other people's opinions "nonsense" or "rumours". Also, it is against our forum rules to prescribe which opinions may or may not be stated here. Not even moderators do that. :D

No problem for me, pop. I have discussed this with the leading technician of the Swiss Leica Customer Service in Nidau after having tried three different copies of the Apo-Summicron 90mm. There are good copies of this lens but also a lot of tricky ones. And these even focus differently when you turn the focus ring from near distance to the focus distance or from infinity to focus distance. It is very difficult to adjust these copies in service. So this is only an opinion, not a rumor.

Thanks for the extra information that underpins your view

Thanks, Daniel. I was reminding Otto not to call other people's opinions "nonsense" or "rumours". Also, it is against our forum rules to prescribe which opinions may or may not be stated here. Not even moderators do that. :D

Ok fair enough. I responded fiercely because I own and practice this lens about since it came out without any problems. Earlier there were statements about the 28 without any or weak evidence base or personal experience and I think that wild statements can be controlled too on this forum. Reputations are built slowly and broken down fast, also with lenses

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

I think there is some confusion about "color vignetting" and "chromatic aberration".

That's correct. I did not know which of either was meant. So I tried to show the behavior of the new Summicron on color vignetting, fall-off and chromatic aberration. To put my experience after a few weeks of using this lens on the M240 clear: I cannot see colour vignetting or something like the Italian flag syndrome that occured in a few shots with the older version of this lens. I can see some light vignetting, a fall-off even stopped down. I see chromatic aberration that can easily be corrected in post. And I cannot see a focus shift stopping down the lens. It is a lovely lens, compact, light, sharp with a beautiful rendering. But I cannot do a side by side comparison.

Edited by don daniel
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the new version of the 28mm Elamrit M ASPH recently.  This seems like a must have lens, given its stellar performance, small size, light weight and affordable price. 

If I find that I need more speed and less DOF as time progresses, I will supplement it with one of its two faster 28mm M lens brethren.  If you gravitate toward a specific focal length the majority of the time as I do with 28mm and 50mm, there's no crime in having a couple of options available for that focal length.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

tuo can say whatever you want but to me analog b&w pictures are better than digital ones. You can say, more natural, more X, more Y........I say: they're organic, with wonderful extreme blacks and wonderful textured whites. Compliments to ola.fiske for the shots and for the "in field" test of the lens.

• Like 2

has anyone done comparison shots of a scene with the older vs newest 28mm summicron? 

I've seen lots of center and corner crops from reviewers on other sites but more curious about how the entirety of a scene is rendered at f2 on both.  Is anyone here able to oblige?

Banal is fine by me but maybe have a slight preference to see color images compared.

Edited by pechelman