Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH 2016 #11672-- Owners Thread

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think the difference between 1:2 and 1:2.8 is quite evident. The image labelled "f/2.0" is not quite sharp, as seen in the text, e.g. "printy", in comparison to the image immediately below it. I couldn't tell the plane of focus, however. A focusing target placed at 45° at the same spot as your stamp would have been more instructive, I think.

• Like 1

Do you mean focus shift at f/2?

I don't know why its blurred, but it couldn't very well be focus shift if you focused at f/2. Either the image gets sharper at smaller apertures or you focused not quite accurately, I'd say. Without more information, both seem equally plausible.

Pics would be blurred at f/2.8 or above if there were focus shift since i focussed at f/2. I'll do another test with my A7s to see how the lens behaves at very short focus distance but i don't hold my breath, this lens has zero focus shift to me.

Edited by lct

[...] I'll do another test with my A7s to see how the lens behaves at very short focus distance but i don't hold my breath, this lens has zero focus shift to me.

Done here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249421-sony-fans-show-your-sharp-corners-with-m-r-wides/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3016554

No problem so far. An A7r2 would perhaps show little differences but as things stand currently i consider focus shift of the previous 28/2 a non issue.

• Like 3

Done here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249421-sony-fans-show-your-sharp-corners-with-m-r-wides/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3016554

No problem so far. An A7r2 would perhaps show little differences but as things stand currently i consider focus shift of the previous 28/2 a non issue.

I see you even started at F0.241, which is even better for our little 28gem

Edited by otto.f

I do not know one single lens that does not draw a little sharper by closing aperture from wide open by one stop. So I am perfectly okay with lct's results. And there is no focus shift either. Take your Summicron 28mm out and take pictures of something less boring.  :)

• Like 3

I do, the SAA 90 for instance, which goes a little bit down in bite from 2.0 to 5.6. My impressiom is that the new summicron 28 is sharper at 2.0 and that what lct showed here is quite normal for the old one.

Normally the old 28/2 lens is sharp in the center and softer in the corners at full aperture. I'll do the test again with my A7s as i have no tripod with me here so i'll sit the camera on the table and check focus with the tilt screen to be sure.

I do, the SAA 90 for instance, which goes a little bit down in bite from 2.0 to 5.6. My impressiom is that the new summicron 28 is sharper at 2.0 and that what lct showed here is quite normal for the old one.

I doubt it goes down from 2 to 2.8, but it may go down from 4 to 5.6. And the Apo-Summicron 90mm is incredibly difficult to focus correctly. What you consider as going down in sharpness by stopping it down may be a real focus shift.

Normally the old 28/2 lens is sharp in the center and softer in the corners at full aperture. I'll do the test again with my A7s as i have no tripod with me here so i'll sit the camera on the table and check focus with the tilt screen to be sure.

Redid the test on my M240 to get the same resolution as above. No problem at all. Zero focus shift as expected and pics look similarly sharp in the centre from f/2 to f/5.6. Corners are another story. I won't bother you with my crappy test pics any more but i'll keep them for those interested if any. Bottom line this lens is so good on both my M240 and A7s mod that i won't order the new 28/2 finally. YMMV.

• Like 1

I doubt it goes down from 2 to 2.8, but it may go down from 4 to 5.6. And the Apo-Summicron 90mm is incredibly difficult to focus correctly. What you consider as going down in sharpness by stopping it down may be a real focus shift.

Sorry, but this is nonsense and please do not spread such rumors

• Like 1