Mount Nikon AI-S glass on M-P 240?

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a couple of nice nikon AIS lenses including 50mm 1.2 that I would like to mount on my M-P 240. Never done anything like this before.

1. Am I wasting my time?

2. If not, what adapter should I go for?

3. Will the adapter reduce the effective widest aperture by increasing the distance from the sensor (like teleconverters do)

4. Will the rangefinder work?

5. Will the view be blocked

Alternatively I could sell it and get the V Nokton 1.1

Novoflex have an adaptor, as do FotoDiox and many Chinese companies. I use my Voigtländer 58/1.4 on the M as well as on Sony Nex. There are some Nikon lenses which are lovely (85/2, 105/2.5, 20mm as well as your 50/1.2) and worth using still.

http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

Order code: LEM/NIK NT

• Like 1

1. Am I wasting my time?

NO. It is perfectly usable.

2. If not, what adapter should I go for?

I use Novoflex which has aperture control for the lenses that don't have aperture ring. It is costly though. If I have to buy again then I would buy simpler and cheaper one without aperture control since lenses which I am interested have aperture ring.

3. Will the adapter reduce the effective widest aperture by increasing the distance from the sensor (like teleconverters do)

No. It will be same.

4. Will the rangefinder work?

No. You will have to use LV or EVF (preferred) for focusing and framing.

5. Will the view be blocked

Not sure what you mean. You are not going to use OVF anyway.

It so happened that today only I was experimenting with Nikkor 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 zoom in macro mode on M240. This is what I got (slight crop).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

3. Will the adapter reduce the effective widest aperture by increasing the distance from the sensor (like teleconverters do)?

There is no optical element in any Nikon to Leica M adapter, only space difference between lens & sensor has to be compensatet. Of course there is no effect on widest aperture compared to Nikon.

Lens quality will not be affected in any case.

WRONG, 'cause vice-versa!:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Macro-Leica-M-Lens-to-Nikon-Adapter-D300-D700-D3-/230512971812?hash=item35aba4d024:m:myhTPLg4uH3tm0fgUOlBjRA

cheap:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Roxsen-Nikon-F-mount-AI-Lens-to-Leica-M-L-M-mount-adapter-M8-M9-M-E-M-Type-240-/401043926083?hash=item5d6014ac43:g:MQoAAOSwPhdVQEPW

best:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Objektivadapter-Novoflex-Adapter-Nikon-Obj-an-Leica-M-Gehause-Abblendfunktion-/351589154169?hash=item51dc58bd79:g:WgEAAOSwEK9TwgrO

Thomas

Edited by duckrider

I've been using AF-D lenses on occasion with my M-P. Works well enough with the EVF, but can be a bit awkward at times. I'm using the Fotodiox adapter. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have a Fotodiox adapter and have used my manual Nikkors on the M240.  I really don't see any reason for me to use bulky SLR lenses in focal lengths for which I have rangefinder-coupled lenses (I even have a 105/2.5 Nikkor in LTM) but two I do use regularly are a 55/3.5 Micro and a 180/2.8. 

• Like 1