farnz

The view through older Glass

Great initiative, Pete. I've followed that M8 and old glass thread but since I don't have an M8 I haven't been able to post.

This image was shot on Ektar 100 with a Nikkor-P.C. 8.5cm/f2 and my M6TTL BP (Coolscan V). I find that this lens has a very pleasant focal length. It is somewhat difficult to focus wide open though with a rather short DOF.

Touching moment Phillip ;-)

I love Nikon glass - a pity, Leica doesn't produce some - hehe.

Here is something from the rarely seen secret cousin of the Nikkor 85/2, the 85 ƒ1.5 Nikkor LTM:

unknown girl by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Shanghai | wet market - old man by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Nice work Dirk. This is why I wanted you to buy the lens. I knew you'd make the most of it.

Rod

Two examples from the last roll of Acros100 that I put through my (underused) IIIg and Elmar 5cm f3.5, both circa 1956/57. Really should take it out and about more often, after all it really is 'pocket-able'.

Thanks, Jeff!

For those who aren't aware, Jeff had already started a similar thread here that contains some simply superb picture using some very unusual and ancient lenses.

I hope to arrange for a kind Mod to consider combining the threads together in the M Lenses forum for simplicity and a potentially larger number of viewers and contributors.

Pete.

Great Idea! Installed my 1934 Hektor 73mm to the M9-P

Coffee with Mom and Dad

Chain Fence

Arizona Saguaro in the desert

A real home-made hack job, A Schneider 5cm F2.8 Karat-Xenar made into Leica mount using a Canon 50/2.8 focus mount. serial number shows it was made in the early 1940s. Fully hard-coated.

Wide-Open

Schneider Xenar 5cm F2.8, on the M9 by anachronist1, on Flickr

I thought the Xenar was a Tessar formula lens, until taking it apart. 5 elements in 4 groups, explains why it is better than my Zeiss Tessar F2.8.

The geared chrome trim ring is from a Kodak TLR lens, and makes for an easy grip for focus. 29.5mm Series V filter adapter, same as for a Kodak Retina. RF coupling holds across the full focus range, must be made to the Leica 51.6mm standard. This lens was bought loose at a camera show for $30, but would originally come on a Karat fixed lens RF.

Edited by brianv

Another home-made hack, a 5cm F3.5 Leica Varob now in RF coupled M-Mount. Used a focus mount from a 5cm F2.8 Elmar-M with missing glass.

L1002788 by anachronist1, on Flickr

Leitz Varob RF Coupled on the M9 by anachronist1, on Flickr

This lens is basically an uncoated Elmar 5cm F3.5 in a non-focusing enlarger mount.

Great shots Alex. The 9cm Elmar is a perfect travel lens and stopped down it performs very well indeed. You've inspired me to use mine a bit more.

Elmar 9cm LTM on Tri-X:

Summitar 5cm LTM on Tri-X: