EVF-2 future replacement?/EVF4 {merged}

Cliff S

I use the EVF with 90mm in low light and always with 21mm. It's an annoying gadget but the artificial horizon makes using it with the 21 a pleasure. I focus the 21 with the RF, frame with the EVF.

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 1

I don't get it...

With all the negative comments and drawbacks for the EVF, what do people use with 24, 21, 18mm, etc., lenses?

(I've never had anything wider than 35mm...including when I had an M4.  And I've never literally looked through an EVF.)

Do people use the dedicated bright line viewers?  Or just "guess" at what will be in the scene!?)

I use the EVF which I find works fine for framing and I very much like on FP how it indicates DOF when shifting f stops. I have all data necessary for exposure in my EVF so it is one stop exposure/composition management for me. Just hit the info button to scroll through what EVF views you want.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lots of conflicting opinions. I remember when everyone said it's impossible for the M to be FF.

At least an eye sensor. Pressing that button all the time gets really confusing if I'm on EVF, LCD or the camera is off!

They gotta get that sorted out. It's not a camera limitation.

I maybe odd one out but I like the idea of pressing button to switch on/off EVF. Generally I have LV off in the preference since I don't want LV to turn on accedently in RF mode. If I need EVF then simply plug it in and press the button to switch on. I use NEX6 too and don't like eye sensor for switching between LCD and EVF. The sensor can't differentiate between my eye and my hand.

• Like 2

(...)

At least an eye sensor. Pressing that button all the time gets really confusing if I'm on EVF, LCD or the camera is off!

They gotta get that sorted out. It's not a camera limitation.

I don't agree and I don't want an eye sensor. I have disabled that sensor in each camera I own where it can be disabled. 

How confusing can it be to press a button you find blindfolded when you want to use the EVF and then to press it again when not?

On some cameras, the finder with the sensor will turn the camera into a torchlight at the most inopportune moment. It will shut off the image review when someone holds a hand over the eye piece. In some cameras the EVF even starts blinking when using it in portrait orientation and the light comes from the "right" direction.

• Like 1

There will always be insufficient processing power in the M240 and M246 to run anything other than the current EVF ...... which it already struggles with ...... 

Anything that is not integral to the next M will be identical to the EVF in the Q ...... just hopefully a bit more low profile and compact ......

• 4 weeks later...

A larger viewfinder with a magnified patch is all I would require, seeing a big bright area and being able to manually focus just a small area that's much bigger would be a trick I could get use to in a heart beat. But then all your pictures would be in focus and the chalange would be gone. You'd get bored, like if you par every hole it's an easy game but boring.

• Like 1

On my 24/2.8 I use the EVF for landscape and especially for (rare) architecture shots, as the framing is more precise.

However, I prefer the accessory OVF in situations, where speed is important.

Shooting samba dancers at  the high street carnival with EVF or other systems with a significant delay

is a pest, the dancer has swung around and is on the other side of the road, when the shutter finally goes off.

So both finders have their virtues.

• Like 1

Sure....as is the camera.  I'm only speaking for me, and I prefer the RF to the EVF(2) even in low light.   Others have different needs and preferences.  

Clearly, improving the EVF has not been a high priority for Leica, which is perhaps different than saying they're 'slow', although the result is the same.  

We'll see what the next M brings....and there's already about 50 pages of speculation on that.

Jeff

Leica is slow here.

Leica has introduced a new interface for EVFs and other add-ons (pioneered by the T), a faster CPU, and higher resolution electronic viewfinders (the add-on EVF for the T and the built-in EVF of the Q). The M (Typ 240) still has the old interface and the slower CPU and it isn’t very likely that there will ever be a newer EVF for that model.

Leica has introduced a new interface for EVFs and other add-ons (pioneered by the T), a faster CPU, and higher resolution electronic viewfinders (the add-on EVF for the T and the built-in EVF of the Q). The M (Typ 240) still has the old interface and the slower CPU and it isn’t very likely that there will ever be a newer EVF for that model.

So basically I'll need to buy a M-240 2016…

Funny boys