Leica S Lens AF issue

xiaubauu2009

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it was only a matter of time as I do have 8 S lenses... Add me to the list of afflicted. Yesterday, I discovered my 100 and 35cs afflicted with the AF motor problem. The 100 I use quite a bit whereas the 35 was barely used at all. So, my guess is that the usage of the lenses isn't too big of a factor on whether or not your specific lens is going to bust! Going to visit the local Leica Store soon to begin the fix process. 

It really is a bummer to have such an annoying issue taint an otherwise wonderful system.

However, I am happy to report that my M's, Q, SL, and all lenses for those systems are working tip top!

Edited by Flu
  • Like 1

I haven't experience any AF focus failure so far. I guess big part of reason I don't trust S AF so 80% of my use from manual focus.

The lens and body combined making absolutely gorgeous file which is noticeable better than any other system I have is the reason I am willing to tolerate the weight, poor AF, so-so low light performance and poor reliability.

Posts from various others indicate that the broken AF also caused them to lose manual focus function.

Jeff

Yes, I am aware of that. The reason(only a guess) I was saying I haven't seen failure is because I don't access its AF feature much. Though I know from my personal experience with Leica Store that their Brand New 24mm has AF fail right out of box. And manual doesn't work during demo.

Yes, I am aware of that. The reason(only a guess) I was saying I haven't seen failure is because I don't access its AF feature much. Though I know from my personal experience with Leica Store that their Brand New 24mm has AF fail right out of box. And manual doesn't work during demo.

There are differing reports also on whether different type of use leads to failure. Personally, I think the lenses should not be unused for too long time. I have 6 lenses and regularly trim each of them by taking a few shots using AF. Lack of use may be as big a problem as use.

But we will never know, lets hope they find a permanent solution to be offered current owners, this lack of confidence is taking a toll on the whole S system, which I really love.

• 2 months later...

My S-Summicron stopped to AF on my SL, with the adapter, checked it today on my S2, still does not work. Three lenses total , s24, s100, s120 died in the period of one yearly a bit more.

And I am no famous and don't know anybody at Leica to hope for a permanent solution to this matter.

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Are failed lenses usable in manual focus mode?

All three of mine were able to be used in manual after the AF sh!t itself...............all there were sent to Berlin and returned with new guts and since there return all three have been working as bought. I did have to send my 3 month old S007 body back to Germany as the on/off switch wouldn't work properly and I will be picking up a brand new replacement body this morning from the Leica Dealer here in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia as the CS rep in Germany said that after changing out the switch and some internal guts of the camera they kept getting the same error message so they decided to replace it with a new one. I was given a loner for the period of the repair (5 weeks turn around) and fingers crossed it will all be working perfectly again........we'll see

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

And you wonder why I get sarcastic? WTF did you send your lenses to Berlin?

john

Because my mate in Holland dropped it off for me while he was visiting the queen................its great how things can come together when crossing the mighty African contestant :)