Leica S Lens AF issue

xiaubauu2009

The AF-motor?

This came with the lens in a separate minigrip bag. It also included handwritten note where was lens s/n, lens model nr, motor nr and "motor einbau" 15.04.2011 (someone who knows what that means, please translate it)

Motor itself is quite small and plastic!! gear is like 5 or 6 millimeters diameter. Gear shows damages all over it, which isn't fully visible in the photo.

No wonder if these keeps breaking up. attachicon.gifIMG_20151009_142021.jpg

Nice!

Well they also didn't have any knowledge and experience about making a leaf shutter but according to stories I've read in LFI and other sources it's one of the best there is, with no lubricants used etc. etc. and they designed it themselves. 

So I guess while they were spending their time on that... they forgot about the AF motor... and ended up buying a few from china... or something.

This AF problem is in my opinion beyond what is acceptable regardless of the supposed quality or cost of the lens. I purchased a new S (006) a year ago with 3 new lenses (not CS). The AF on one of the 3 lenses was faulty as soon as I attached it to the camera. This was replaced by the dealer immediately without question or explanation and I accepted this as bad luck. For a year I have not had any problem and have updated the camera and lens firmware as and when. Yesterday I purchased the 120 Macro lens and brought it home to find low and behold that the AF didn't work as soon as I attached it to the camera. To add insult the lens comes with a personally signed Test Certificate by someone with the name "Hohenstein" who has certified the lens has been meticulously examined at several stages of production. Perhaps Hohenstein sleeps on the job half the time as 50% of my lenses are dud! The AF motor whirrs away for perhaps 30 seconds without focussing. Switching to MF the motor still whirrs away for some reason. Do I have a lifetime guarantee against this defect?

Anyone interested in the 3 Prochargers I have had or is that another thread of disappointment with Leica?

• Like 1

The S-lenses are designed (excluding S-100) with the S2 at somewhere around 2008. I don't exactly remember, but I think most of consumer class objectives had body driven af at the time. Canikons had some pro grade lens motored models, which Leica didn't have technology nor knowledge. So they decided to go with the known solution.

Actual fail comes with the hardware which is assembled in to lens, using that plastic piece of s**t shows total lack of discernment.

Af of S2 and S with the previous firmwares was very slow for a reason, someone knew it cannot be taken more speed from that motor. But because of pressure of users, they did it anyway.

And now they know it was a huge mistake.

• Like 1

In 2008 most pro camera systems already moved from in body AF motor to in lens AF motor... and also the consumer grade had lens driven AF... Canon EF has always been lens driven AF. Which is by far, more effective than having a body driven AF motor.

I don't exactly remember, but I think most of consumer class objectives had body driven af at the time. Canikons had some pro grade lens motored models.

Edited by jip
  • Like 1

Here is an official Leica statement regarding to the AF-Issue of Leica S Lenses:

Important information about the goodwill arrangement for Leica S-Lenses

For products affected by this problem, Leica Camera AG offers a free replacement of the autofocus drive unit within the terms of a goodwill arrangement. This goodwill arrangement is independent of the age of the lens. Should this defect occur in one of your S lenses, we recommend that you to send it directly to Leica Customer Care or the authorised Customer Care department of your country’s Leica distributor.

As a premium manufacturer, we consider it our obligation to provide only technically faultless products. We therefore particularly regret that the functions of one of your S lenses could be impaired in any way. We hope that the goodwill arrangement mentioned above will allow us to remedy the problem as soon as possible and rebuild and maintain the trust you have always placed in our brand.

And here the corresponding link

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my 120/2.5 yesterday and was surprised. I left in a 2 year old one sn 4156*** and was returned a 'new' lens sn 4174***! I handed my lens in with just the two caps, no hood, box etc and that is how this lens came back....... Still no camera to try it out on, still in Wetzlar :-(

john

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Handed my 70mm Lens to Leica Kuala Lumpur 6 weeks ago and its lost.............Leica Malaysia said they sent it to Singapore, Leica Singapore said they sent it to Germany, Leica Germany said they haven't received it and don't understand why Leica Singapore would send it to Germany as they can fix the AF motor in Singapore...................The Sh[ts going to hit the fan on Monday morning when I rock up at Leica Malaysia I can tell you...............Not a happy camper :( :(

Add mine.  120mm.  Original owner. 3.5 years of very modest use.  No warning.

Off to NJ.

Amazing lens, though.

Dean

Seattle

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

From a possible future S2 owner; replies to this thread will certainly weight on this.

Is this problem fixable? Meaning, repaired lenses no longer (ever) fail due to an AF motor issue?

Can a failed lens be used in MF mode, or do we have to carry extra lenses during a shoot?

Is this problem fixed for lenses manufactured in 2016?

Which year did the problem start, and how long did it take Leica to address it?

Do we know which lens serial numbers are affected, or which are not.

What's the average repair time? I've read as much as 2 months, which is not acceptable for my clients, as such, if the problem is fixable, I'd much rather have Leica replace the AF motor prior to its future failure; alternatively, you might read this as, is it possible to make the AF motor fail purposely.

Here's my understanding/experience of the AF issue so far:

There is no public explanation or communicated plan from Leica on how the problem is being addressed  besides "Leica Camera AG offers a free replacement of the autofocus drive unit within the terms of a goodwill arrangement".

There is no pre-emptive fix available. I sent in four S lenses to be checked after two failed - asking for the AF drive to be replaced if it was at risk of failing. All came back without any changes required. One failed 30 clicks later.

I've had three lenses fail - two could focus manually, one could not (I believe it was a 30-90).

Turnaround time was 6-8 weeks for my repairs.

There is no available information related to your other questions, afaik. You will find users who shoot in the 10,000's without any issues, and then there are the disgruntled users like myself with a disproportionate amount of grief. Several thoughts and opinions on what causes it, but I haven't been able to see any pattern - if anything my guess would be it is an underspec'ed and poorly sourced AF drive.  

From a possible future S2 owner; replies to this thread will certainly weight on this.

Is this problem fixable? Meaning, repaired lenses no longer (ever) fail due to an AF motor issue?

Can a failed lens be used in MF mode, or do we have to carry extra lenses during a shoot?

Is this problem fixed for lenses manufactured in 2016?

Which year did the problem start, and how long did it take Leica to address it?

Do we know which lens serial numbers are affected, or which are not.

What's the average repair time? I've read as much as 2 months, which is not acceptable for my clients, as such, if the problem is fixable, I'd much rather have Leica replace the AF motor prior to its future failure; alternatively, you might read this as, is it possible to make the AF motor fail purposely.

........ I sent in four S lenses to be checked after two failed - asking for the AF drive to be replaced if it was at risk of failing. All came back without any changes required. One failed 30 clicks later.

I've had three lenses fail - two could focus manually, one could not (I believe it was a 30-90).

Turnaround time was 6-8 weeks for my repairs.

I wouldn't invest in the S system (and I seriously considered it) until these far too many examples become rare....with even more public disclosure from Leica on the issue(s) and the fix(es).  A key reason for the system investment IMO is the quality and reliability of the lenses.  

But this relates to camera body issues as well, with similar forum reports of multiple failures.  

Very disappointing.....especially for the price.

Jeff