Leica M2 lens mount issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys,

I have an issue with my M2 lens mount. When I try to mount certain M mount 50mm lenses, they do not engage the 50mm frame lines. This happens with a TTArtisan 50mm I bought recently. The lens does not click securely into place and does not engage the 50mm frame lines. I have to twist it a bit harder into the mount and then it engages the lines. I have the same issue, but to a smaller degree with my 50mm rigid Summicron. It clicks securely into place but it doesn't engage 50mm frame lines all the way. The top, bottom and right lines show clearly, but the left line is a bit faint. 

However, mounting any of my 50mm LTM lenses via M39 to M adapter works without a problem. The M39 to M adapter both clicks firmly into place and engages the 50mm frame lines without a problem. 

Could this issues be solved without changing the entire lens mount? 

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers! 

Welcome here TheZakon,

Two options:

- first if not fully sticking mechanism, you can do some "exercices" with the frame selector a couple of pushings

- if it's always problematic after that , your M2 may need a CLA or "repair" to unlock the frame lines mechanism under the top cover or in the lens mount

Arnaud

Hello Arnaud,

thank you for your welcome and your input. The frame selector lever works just fine. Selecting 35, 50 or 75 mm frame lines manually works without a problem. It's just that certain 50mm lenses do not click securely into place and do not activate the 50mm frame lines 😕

I dread the possibility of having to change the mount completely. I hope it is something that can be fixed.

Marko

In this case I think that the trouble comes from the lens mount not the M mount.

The automatic lens selection is from one claw of the lens in use.

It's a couple of 1/5 millimeters differences from 35/50/90 framelines.

Your Summicron may have been "worn" on the claw, after some use.

Your 39/M adapter is fine in size so no problem with it when you mount LTM lenses.

Edited by a.noctilux

Another possibility is the lens mount has been knocked slightly out of alignment (through being dropped or similar). The fact that some lenses do not engage properly would be symptomatic of this issue. A re-alignment can be performed by an expert repair centre with the necessary alignment tools. If the 50mm frame did not come up, but lenses always engaged fine it could be that the little lens setting tab was not properly adjusted (or was bent internally), however the issues with the lenses not engaging opens the possibility of an alignment issue. The only way to tell for sure is send it to a well equipped repairer.

I thought that might be the case, too, but I've tried the same lenses on my other M2 body and they all work fine. All the 50mm lenses click into place and activate the 50mm lines. 

Maybe I should have mentioned in the first place that I have no issues with any of those lenses on my other M2 body. Sorry about that :( 

Basically, that is the reason I fear something might be wrong with my lens mount and not the lenses :( 

38 minutes ago, theZakon said:

Hi 105012,

so lens mount re-alignment could fix the problem without changing the whole mount?

That is reassuring. 

Thank you!

It is possible, but only an expert will be able to tell. Bon chance!

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Probably tolerance limits in opposite sides.

Kind of tolerance, here if the lenses have no issues with other M.

Likely - I have one M3 where the mount is so tight some lenses are VERY tough to get to latch in place as they don't want to turn far enough.

The lens flange can become loose over time with the constant mounting and dismounting which would cause it to rotate slightly and hence the frameline issue. The easy fix if this is the case is to loosen all the screws on the lens flange and then retighten them gradually opposite to opposite sides so the screw heads re-centre in their countersunk holes. As it also happens with a new TT Artisan lens this may be because the screws fixing the flange wouldn't be as tight as they should be.

Edited by 250swb

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, ssellars said:

I have just bought the TTArtisan 50 1.4 also, and first time using it it brings up 90 frame lines. My 35mm Summaron is my main lens on this camera, but previously had a 50 Summicron Type 3 that worked fine. This might need to go back ;-(

Before you send it back I'd suggest you try out the body with other lenses to confirm that the issue isn't with the body.

I have a number of lenses all of which work fine on my two Digi-M bodies but one or two don't quite immediately bring up the correct frame in my M2. In my case it's because the frame-selector mechanics in the M2 could do with a CLA as the correct frame-line does appear after the f/l lever is pulled & released.

Just a thought!

Philip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I encountered the similar issue on M10-R as you, but the lens works well on M9P, M2 and M2R., I just contacted service@ttartisan.com and send them a photo of the wrong frameline, which is captured through my iPhone. They sent in a replacement lens mount, 6 screws and a screw driver from China. It's pretty easy to replace the faulty rear mount on the lens. And mine is now working on all M bodies I have. So I believe that it's a tolerance mis-match issue during the manufacuring. Hope it helps.