APO 50mm Summicron Flare Issue

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If only the replacement copy had an earlier serial number i could understand the problem, at least psychologically, but it was not the case here since both original and replacement copies had almost the same serial number (4189xxx ). The legal or moral base on which the replacement copy should have a later serial number than the original one escapes me totally sorry.

there is nowhere a date on my 5 boxes inside or outside

try looking on the crappy gray cardboard box that rapidly self destructs and usually gets thrown away ...... it's definitely on there ...... for recent products anyway ...

Edited by thighslapper

erick

All of my latest lens and body purchases now show the "born on" date just like Budweiser here in the US.   Some toward the end of 2014 show this date as well.

Maybe not in Europe ? I don't know  ,  my 50 Noctilux from December 2013 has no date  

Edited by jaapv

I have just read this entire thread.  The conclusion seems to be that I now understand that I have wasted at least 10 minutes of my life?   :wacko:

yes ......... it is surprising how many times you have to hammer a nail before it enters the thick skull of some Leica forum members ......

the answer was summed up in a couple of sentences  :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

THEN:  I got one of the first 50 APO lenses and it flared like crazy.  I didn't send it back to be repaired.  I returned it.  For many reasons I would not take a faulty lens, let Leica repair my faulty lens, nor would I be stuck with a serial number that could be devalued as "one of the first with problems."  

NOW:  I understand that the serial numbers are somewhat random.  I would not worry that I got an old lens that was repaired if I bought one at this point in time.  I just don't want an early number because this thread shows how finicky some Leica customers are.  I'd look for a dealer with a later number.

I have just read this entire thread.  The conclusion seems to be that I now understand that I have wasted at least 10 minutes of my life?   :wacko:

This isn't the only thread we have wasted a lot of time in reading it from beginning to end.

• Like 1