APO 50mm Summicron Flare Issue

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a brand new APO 50 mm Summicron at my local Leica dealer TODAY, Serial No. 04189xxx. All packaging and presentation seem perfect.

When I came home, I checked my notes and found out that previous posts on this forum have stated that one should not buy this lens prior to serial Nos. 4235xx as these lenses were manufactured BEFORE March, 2014 and were possibly prone to the flare issue that plagued the first batch of lenses prior to the stoppage in production, those manufactured before March, 2014. Then I checked an older Email from my dealer, dated October, 2014 where I was offered an APO 50mm Summicron serial No. 04296xxx. 

What is going on here? Is Leica re selling old lenses as new ones after being fixed or not fifed? Will having the above serial number effect the resale of this lens 5 years from now? Has anyone bought a low serial number lens recently? I am a little surprised by this. My dealer is a certified dealer and they deal directly with New Jersey. Should I go back to my dealer and return this lens, insisting on a higher, more current???, serial number? Your input is urgently required.

• Like 1

Just bought a brand new APO 50 mm Summicron at my local Leica dealer TODAY, Serial No. 04189xxx. All packaging and presentation seem perfect.

When I came home, I checked my notes and found out that previous posts on this forum have stated that one should not buy this lens prior to serial Nos. 4235xx as these lenses were manufactured BEFORE March, 2014 and were possibly prone to the flare issue that plagued the first batch of lenses prior to the stoppage in production, those manufactured before March, 2014. Then I checked an older Email from my dealer, dated October, 2014 where I was offered an APO 50mm Summicron serial No. 04296xxx. 

What is going on here? Is Leica re selling old lenses as new ones after being fixed or not fifed? Will having the above serial number effect the resale of this lens 5 years from now? Has anyone bought a low serial number lens recently? I am a little surprised by this. My dealer is a certified dealer and they deal directly with New Jersey. Should I go back to my dealer and return this lens, insisting on a higher, more current???, serial number? Your input is urgently required.

I had reported a flare problem with a 'new' APO received in May, 2015, Serial No. 041895xx. It was replaced by the dealer for another (no flare issue), Serial No. 041895xx (very similar # as the first). The replacement lens has a date on the outer box of April 27, 2015. For all i know it could be original (flared) stock, repaired then sold as 'new'.

Regardless, it works for for me... I'm one satisfied APO camper....

Edited by keenr

I see a pattern here, x2. We are a picky, educated lot here on this forum, and as Leica consumers everywhere. Hence, my concerns expressed in my initial post remain. Having just spent 9k Canadian on this lens, will some re-seller of Leica 10 years from now tell me my lens is of troubled pedigree and so worth less than later serial nos. 

Do not get me wrong. I have not sold any Leica lenses my self yet, ever, and do not plan to. This lens was bought purely to use, based on its stellar reputation, including this forum. Yet I have sold many Canon and Nikon lenses and eventually, some Leica stuff will go on ebay or to some Leica reseller, so I am just protecting my investment. I have not had a chance to test this lens yet, and will not do so until the weekend. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see a pattern here, x2. We are a picky, educated lot here on this forum, and as Leica consumers everywhere. Hence, my concerns expressed in my initial post remain. Having just spent 9k Canadian on this lens, will some re-seller of Leica 10 years from now tell me my lens is of troubled pedigree and so worth less than later serial nos. 

Do not get me wrong. I have not sold any Leica lenses my self yet, ever, and do not plan to. This lens was bought purely to use, based on its stellar reputation, including this forum. Yet I have sold many Canon and Nikon lenses and eventually, some Leica stuff will go on ebay or to some Leica reseller, so I am just protecting my investment. I have not had a chance to test this lens yet, and will not do so until the weekend. 

If you have evidence the lens was built in April then it is fresh version. Leica used to reserve a series of numbers for a specific lens and they didn't give a accurate indication of build date. Might be different now. I think these will be so rare used for a long time re-sale will not be a issue with the box/paperwork you have as long as you keep them to go with the lens. 

Enjoy your new lens!

Edited by pedaes

If you have evidence the lens was built in April then it is fresh version. Leica used to reserve a series of numbers for a specific lens and they didn't give a accurate indication of build date. Might be different now. I think these will be so rare used for a long time re-sale will not be a issue with the box/paperwork you have as long as you keep them to go with the lens. 

Enjoy your new lens!

Hard to believe stamping a date on the outside of the box is evidence of production date. Regardless, given my experience recently, Leica still has a QC problem in eradicating flare...

Evidence: I had two, both with 2015 stamped on the outside and both with older serial #'s 041895XX. One flared, the other didn't. Hmm....new production, still old problem?

[...] I checked an older Email from my dealer, dated October, 2014 where I was offered an APO 50mm Summicron serial No. 04296xxx. [...]

Look at the date stamped in your guarantee card. My 4296*** is from "2014/07/03".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As I said Above, Date is: April 27, 2015. As I said Above, Serial number is 041895xx.

If I was to sell you my lens a year from now and gave you the above information, would you think I was full of it, that the lens was made in 2013, or that it is a brand new lens made in 2015 using a serial number "reserved" in 2013, or a lens made in 2013 and "fixed" and resold in 2015?

Please advise.

As I said Above, Date is: April 27, 2015. As I said Above, Serial number is 041895xx.

If I was to sell you my lens a year from now and gave you the above information, would you think I was full of it, that the lens was made in 2013, or that it is a brand new lens made in 2015 using a serial number "reserved" in 2013, or a lens made in 2013 and "fixed" and resold in 2015?

Please advise.

I would ask your guarantee card i guess. Not sure if i see your problem here.

I heard from several owners of this lens that the flare prone version was slightly sharper. If this is true I wouldn't mind an occasional flare.

Edward, you just threw a monkey wrench into my plan, now I have to hunt down that elusive flare-prone version :D

• Like 3

Edward, you just threw a monkey wrench into my plan, now I have to hunt down that elusive flare-prone version :D

I think it would be difficult to find at this time but don't worry any difference in sharpness must be really small. Don't let me spoil your plans to spend 8K :D

• Like 1

Sorry fellas, but I cannot relate to the sideline humor in this thread.

Exhibiting flare on a new $7k lens was a bit troubling to me. Especially given the lens was purchased recently from a reputable NY dealer who claims to have received the lens just weeks earlier from Solms.

Response I was given was QC..

Is it just coincidence that my lens was in the 04189xxx range?

Why leave the consumer guessing? Perhaps Leica should divulge what SN's were repaired and then sold as new.

I'm now satisfied to have one that isn't displaying the problem. But it did raise many questions. And apparently others are in the same camp.

Edited by keenr

As reported earlier, I had in my possession two, both sn's starting with 04189xxx and both card dates, April/2015. The first one exhibited flare and promptly replaced with another.

Edited by keenr