Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for posting this amazing photo again Algrove . I remember seeing and commenting on this, or similar from this series, that you posted early in an R-lens on M240 thread. Sone of these R lenses have an extraordinary 'transparency' to its rendering (in that I mean it's like looking through a window rather than at a photo)  that is especially well demonstrated in photographs including water.  I agree with your comments on the extraordinary 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R which renders very similarly on the M240, and although expensive when I bought it for the M240 (prohibitively priced now) I have no regrets.

I had considered a 2.8/180 APO but don't use the focal length enough to justify the cost so settled on an 80-200. 

Just remembered a shot taken with the R APO 180/2.8 +APO 2x extender. Amzing combination and not that bd to lug around for when you need it like here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by algrove
  • Like 3

Last time I wrote something for LFI magazine (several years ago) they translated it into German for the German edition . . . . and then back to English for the English edition.  It was pretty wierd!

My question is how did the English they printed compare to your English original?

My question is how did the English they printed compare to your English original?

Mark Twain did just that... translated the Jumping Frog of Calaveras County into French and then literally back into English, to explain why the French didn't like his story... to hilarious effect.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not certain - for instance -  Chrome Alloy is a frequently used term in the oil industry, but chrome is never the primary metal. 

Because that is the naming convention for Chrome alloys.

It is not the same for Magnesium and Aluminum alloys.

• Like 1

Just remembered a shot taken with the R APO 180/2.8 +APO 2x extender. Amzing combination and not that bd to lug around for when you need it like here.

Love to see the uncropped version of this one.

Edited by jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very impressive.

I have the APO-2x extender and tested it on the 28-90 (before I had the 80-200). IQ close on matching FLs, but of course not as good as with out the Extender. Haven't played with it yet on toe 80-200 but I 'm sure it won't match the2.8/180 APO-R and extender.

• Like 1

Very impressive.

I have the APO-2x extender and tested it on the 28-90 (before I had the 80-200). IQ close on matching FLs, but of course not as good as with out the Extender. Haven't played with it yet on toe 80-200 but I 'm sure it won't match the2.8/180 APO-R and extender.

Mark, I have tried using the similar set up of Contax Vario Sonnar 28-85/f3.3 and Mutar II 2X extender + Novoflex adapter on the M240. It works just fine but is so staggeringly front heavy and unwieldy, that I can never see me using it. It makes the 80-200/f4 + 14642 R to M seem like a featherweight in comparison. 

Wilson

I thought it was horrid, Mede me seem like a pompous pedantic prat. (no need to comment :) )

Nowt wrong with a wee bit of pompous pedantry from time to time. Not only do half my family (barristers) sound like that all the time, but the Yanks expect it of us Brits. ;)

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

Nowt wrong with a wee bit of pompous pedantry from time to time. Not only do half my family (barristers) sound like that all the time, but the Yanks expect it of us Brits. ;)

Coming from the Antipodean colonies I'll just keep quiet on this one - for a change.

• Like 2

I deal a lot with German technical literature for power equipment translated into English and generally it is clear despite being written/translated for smaller audience than Leica client base, Our dear Leica must be odd one out.  

Another thought, I feel I could have written this in German despite not having working knowledge of the language.  All this language criticism must be attributed to that Mongolian/Linar B translator who has job for life with Leica.

• Like 3

Well, don't know about the Mongolian, but I always thought it was farmed out to Florida International University, but only to those sitting in Aquarius 9km off shore of Key Largo, FL at the ocean bottom in 20 M of water. After they come back up they give them Leica translations to do while sitting in the decompression chamber.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

Well, don't know about the Mongolian, but I always thought it was farmed out to Florida International University, but only to those sitting in Aquarius 9km off shore of Key Largo, FL at the ocean bottom in 20 M of water. After they come back up they give them Leica translations to do while sitting in the decompression chamber.

Lou, 

Were those the folks who reputedly were doing a degree in underwater basket weaving?

Wilson

The original German specs say:

Länge mit Geli (ohne Geli): ca. 81 mm (67 mm)

And in order to clarify this, I have used Google translate from German to Marathi and then to English:

Was (were not) in length with a: 81 mm CA (67 mm)

Which clearly means that the lens length was 81mm in California, which were not 67mm (obviously, but  Germans are very precise and will also specify what the length is not).
Hope all is clear now, at least for those of us who live in CA.
Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 2

Lou, 

Were those the folks who reputedly were doing a degree in underwater basket weaving?

Wilson

That was the first year students who were working toward the underwater basket weaving degree. Leica uses the second year students and above with low grade point averages, but not graduate or senior year students.

• Like 1

That was the first year students who were working toward the underwater basket weaving degree. Leica uses the second year students and above with low grade point averages, but not graduate or senior year students.

+1

Probably take summer firmware programming course to write updates for M cameras.

• Like 1

+1

Probably take summer firmware programming course to write updates for M cameras.

+1

I understand it is an underwater firmware programming course, at -40m (scuba diving) in the North Sea.

This is a preventive measure in case the new camera does not sell well and the company goes underwater.

During the first 2 months, students learn how not to spill air on the keyboard and avoid damaging it, then the actual programming course kicks in.

The tank contains only 1% oxygen, so the programmer's brain slows down to only allow minimalistic thoughts. This is in order to keep the firmware as simple as possible which is a great benefit and the highest priority for Leica, despite the increased number of bugs and an average release time of 1 year for firmware updates containing trivial fixes.

• Like 1

Jono,

I'm less interested in raw numbers, and not interested at all in pointing out errors in Leica's documentation. When I saw the MTF charts in the tech sheets and in the instruction manual, I ignored them.

Any chance you could post a picture of the 28 Summilux next to some other lenses?  In the image you posted earlier, the lens did not look as large as feared. 

Cheers

John

Coming from the Antipodean colonies I'll just keep quiet on this one - for a change.

I would point out that you live in Sydney's inner east, where pompous prats speaking cultivated Australian English are not that uncommon.  :p

Isn't this guy your local member? 

Edited by Mornnb