NEW: 35 cron and 50 lux available in BLACK CHROME

skinnfell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quick update: I received mine yesterday. Without hood, it feels and appears noticeably smaller than the regular version (this was the reason I went for it after handling the LHSA version that is the same as this one except the finish). I rarely use hoods so to me this is very important (simple filter up front is enough). It is also lighter (remember, no hood attached), it weights 0.85 lbs, while the silver chrome version is just over 1.02 lbs (so about 18% lighter without the hood). Beautiful rendering (as any other 50mm Summilux ASPH) with smooth focusing and aperture clicks. 

• Like 2

Received my 35mm Limited today :p

First impression .... Stunning!  IMO a far nicer lens than the standard black 'Cron Asph I had, firmer focus resistance yet so smooth at the same time.  Real 'heft', noticeably heavier than the aluminium barrelled version but not too heavy, just right IMO.  The black chrome finish is sublime and I love the red 'feet' markings, also the round hood, on my silver M4 it looks simply beautiful.  I am sure that optically there will be no difference between this lens and the standard version however from an aesthetic and build point this 'black chrome' version is IMO streets ahead.  I am so glad I pre-ordered this and the 50mm and feel very lucky/privileged to have secured them, I can't wait for my 50mm to arrive now.

Simon

I received mine today and it is indeed a beautiful lens and a pleasure to handle.

However, it appears that the hood won't fit over my Heliopan E43 UV filter. The inner diameter of the hood is smaller than the outer diameter of the filter.

As to my knowledge Leica doesn't offer an E43 UV filter that could perhaps have a small enough outer diameter, do you have an idea how to solve this issue?

Younes

However, it appears that the hood won't fit over my Heliopan E43 UV filter. The inner diameter of the hood is smaller than the outer diameter of the filter.

This is worrying ; I have my name of the list for this lens for use with a Monochrom. If it won't take filters, I will pass.

Perhaps Heliopan filters are in thick brass mounts that puts them over the diameter of filters from B+W ?

Perhaps Heliopan filters are in thick brass mounts that puts them over the diameter of filters from B+W ?

I have a variety of recently bought B+W and Heliopan filters and comparing the brass mounts of both types they seem to have exactly the same diameter – if there is a difference it is a fraction of a millimetre. 

Edited by wattsy

As to my knowledge Leica doesn't offer an E43 UV filter that could perhaps have a small enough outer diameter, do you have an idea how to solve this issue?

Have you tried a Leica branded E43 filter? It would be remiss, even for Leica, to release a lens that isn't compatible with its own filters. I remember when the current 35 Summilux was first released in 2010, some users reported problems fitting the hood over the filters (usually B+W) that they were using. Leica subsequently slightly re-engineered the hood so that it fitted over all commonly available filters but my understanding is that even the earlier tighter 'problem' hoods did still fit over the Leica branded filters.

This is worrying ; I have my name of the list for this lens for use with a Monochrom. If it won't take filters, I will pass.

Just to clarify; The lens does take filters, but the early news is that with some brand of filters the hood can't be fitted over them.

If you've already ordered the lens, try it out with the filters you have and if it doesn't fit you can decline to buy it?

Received my 35mm Limited today :p

First impression .... Stunning!  IMO a far nicer lens than the standard black 'Cron Asph I had, firmer focus resistance yet so smooth at the same time.  Real 'heft', noticeably heavier than the aluminium barrelled version but not too heavy, just right IMO.  The black chrome finish is sublime and I love the red 'feet' markings, also the round hood, on my silver M4 it looks simply beautiful.  I am sure that optically there will be no difference between this lens and the standard version however from an aesthetic and build point this 'black chrome' version is IMO streets ahead.  I am so glad I pre-ordered this and the 50mm and feel very lucky/privileged to have secured them, I can't wait for my 50mm to arrive now.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Congrats on your new lens. May I ask if the focus tab is made of plastic or metal? Thank you!

Hi Simon,

Congrats on your new lens. May I ask if the focus tab is made of plastic or metal? Thank you!

Hello Tuck,

This edition of the lens has no focus tab. This is one of the reasons I bought it.

Have you tried a Leica branded E43 filter? It would be remiss, even for Leica, to release a lens that isn't compatible with its own filters. I remember when the current 35 Summilux was first released in 2010, some users reported problems fitting the hood over the filters (usually B+W) that they were using. Leica subsequently slightly re-engineered the hood so that it fitted over all commonly available filters but my understanding is that even the earlier tighter 'problem' hoods did still fit over the Leica branded filters.

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have the Leica UV/IR E43 to try out.

Younes

I received mine today and it is indeed a beautiful lens and a pleasure to handle.

Younes

I had no idea that the 50 came with an E43 filter size instead of a E46. I sure hope the 35 comes with E39 filter size.

Edited by algrove

Hi, I once had the black paint LHSA version of the 50mm summilux. It had the same problem with the filters. I overcame the problem by using Leica 43mm filters with glass installed from B+W 43mm. The glass is unscrewed via a retaining ring on the B+W. There is a wire spring clip on the Leica filter. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi, I once had the black paint LHSA version of the 50mm summilux. It had the same problem with the filters. I overcame the problem by using Leica 43mm filters with glass installed from B+W 43mm. The glass is unscrewed via a retaining ring on the B+W. There is a wire spring clip on the Leica filter. I hope this helps.

Thanks, I think your are right; it's a fair assumption to say the lens and hood design are unchanged other than paint vs black chrome, so it seems using filters will require ingenuity.

I looked at some of my existing 43mm B+W filters ; they have the newer cost reduced flat metal retaining rings, rather than the older threaded and keyed style, so I suspect glass removal is going to be tricky  :-( 

Hello Tuck,

This edition of the lens has no focus tab. This is one of the reasons I bought it.

Hello! I think you are referring to the 50 lux. Simon bought the 35 cron, so I wonder if the tab is made of metal. Like you, I like lenses with no tabs. But if there has to be a tab, I wish it's made of metal. That's why I'm obsessed with it.  :)