I love my M7...

Dear Doc., thank-you for your help.  There is not much point in posting a photo as I don't have any taken with a colour chart. The attached landscape is too yellow and the blue sky washed out, but I don't have a comparative shot which is colour correct.  When I have time I develop film, otherwise, as in this case, film is sent to a lab.  In fact I have never developed colour neg film, only b+w and transparency.  Incidentally the film was not out of date, being bought shortly before being put in the camera.  I have been shooting Portra 400 half a stop over exposed as recommended by every lab I have ever used as well as a few professional photographers.  Kind regards, H.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hektor said:

Dear Doc., thank-you for your help.  There is not much point in posting a photo as I don't have any taken with a colour chart. The attached landscape is too yellow and the blue sky washed out, but I don't have a comparative shot which is colour correct.  When I have time I develop film, otherwise, as in this case, film is sent to a lab.  In fact I have never developed colour neg film, only b+w and transparency.  Incidentally the film was not out of date, being bought shortly before being put in the camera.  I have been shooting Portra 400 half a stop over exposed as recommended by every lab I have ever used as well as a few professional photographers.  Kind regards, H.

For me , it has no problem ,  it's very nice and your lab work is correct

The yellowish depends on light and I'll post some pictures for you with a little yellowish veil like that

People who use digital has a usual habit of color  denaturation   ...   just watch one landscape at the end of the journey and compare ....

I think it'll be like in your picture 

Best H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here some pictures for you , 

with Kodak Portra or Kodak Ektar  and Leica M7 with Summicron or Summilux 35 Asph

Best  Henry

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

For me , it has no problem ,  it's very nice and your lab work is correct

The yellowish depends on light and I'll post some pictures for you with a little yellowish veil like that

People who use digital has a usual habit of color  denaturation   ...   just watch one landscape at the end of the journey and compare ....

I think it'll be like in your picture 

Best H

denaturation 😂 The human brain tends to perform AWB, too. But of course you've got a point here saying that film is matched to one a certain color temperature.

• Thanks 1

Ivo,  it's another problem about "denaturation" *   here two pictures

One is with M9 and one is with M7 Film Kodak Portra 160 (dev home lab)

Film reproduces the best the color

Believe me ,  I am waiting for my departure in this airport during 2 hours waiting for my plane , after my last medical humanitarian mission

so I have time to get in memory the color of dawn that day !  

*  because Hektor asks for the yellowish in his picture not for denaturation

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 9

On 5/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, Doc Henry said:

Believe me

I will - got three rolls waiting for the lab (only doing BW myself). Planning to shoot a bit more film. Let's hope I'm not to lazy for it.

Cheers

Ivo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I am looking to buy my first Leica M film camera (to date I have always had digital M).

i am looking at an M4, M6 or M7? Any tips or advice on different models given it will be used for personal stuff only 

i have found an immaculate M7 locally with box and paperwork etc.

What sort of price is reasonable for an M7?

any  advice gratefully received 

59 minutes ago, tap360 said:

Hi there

I am looking to buy my first Leica M film camera (to date I have always had digital M)..................any  advice gratefully received 

As you will see from earlier posts, I have and enjoy an M7 0.85 à la carte, however I do not recommend it.  First of all it has had to go back to Solms/Wetzlar too many times and ultimately was replaced.  Secondly I am concerned, because of its electronics, about Leica's ability to service the M7 in the future.  I do like the exposure automation when travelling, however still find the need to bracket which inevitably slows the process and by which one loses immediacy.  Its other attraction is the 75mm frame lines, the Summicron-M of that focal length being on of my favourites.

However; in your situation I would choose an M2 or a very early M6.  They are simple, smaller, lighter and can be repaired by almost any decent camera mechanic anywhere.  If I decided to keep only one camera it would be the M2 which has served me well since 1968:

Edited by hektor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I would include too the M4-P, because next to the 100% mechanical function it shows already a set of six focal lens frames - 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135. You need an exposure meter, could be a Leicameter MR or from any other maker, even cellphone apps can do it. With early M6 cameras occasionally issues are known with the black chrome. I still keep two M6 cameras,  built 1986 and 1991, both working still as expected. The above mentioned M2 or M4 are of course excellent options.

• Like 1

I would say go with the M7 if it is in good condition. Also check which DX reader it has. If you decide not to go for the M7 then I too would recommend the M4-P as it has, as AndreasG has stated, the widest range of viewfinder frames. As far as a separate meter is concerned I would recommend the Voigtlander VC II.

1 hour ago, tap360 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, is a mint M7 0.72 for £1650 a fair price do you think, complete with original box and papers ?

Yes, an immaculate M7 is a lot of camera for £1650 in Leicaland nowadays. They were retailing for £3500+  when they were discontinued.

• Thanks 1