I love my M7...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, advil said:

The top plate on the shutter button side of my M7 is sliiiightly loose. I can feel it move back and forth if i hold it there. It is a 2016 model and still under warranty. Youxin said he can't fix that side because he doesn't service M7. Should I take it to Leica Store and have them send it out? Any advice is appreciated. 

My first M7 from around 2004 was like that. There was about 1mm or so of play on one side if you squeezed down on the top plate. I used that camera a lot and the play was never an actual problem in use but it is probably worth getting it sorted.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 12:43 AM, wattsy said:

My first M7 from around 2004 was like that. There was about 1mm or so of play on one side if you squeezed down on the top plate. I used that camera a lot and the play was never an actual problem in use but it is probably worth getting it sorted.

I took it back today. Should be under warranty. The Leica store manager even said that the bottom plate looked off. With the lens removed, the M7 body didn't stand solidly on a level surface. Should be back in a month hopefully. Maybe worth testing yours, just out of curiousity.

I highly recommend the Leica store in Boston by the way. Really great staff and they host great events. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 'new' secondhand M7 bought in september. Went to Sorrento with it in September 2019, here pictured in our apartment at Marina Piccola. In the plane I had been fiddling with the battery cover and apparently it came off because of vibrations during the landing and I lost it. So I had to improvise with medical bandage to keep the battery in, it worked and I shot my first 3 rolls of film with this construction. The battery cover is replaced now. I love this camera, used to have it but traded it in for the M8 when it came out. Now I have this very nice copy with the better viewfinder which works fine with backlights. Photo's thus far are great.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 10

Just got an M7 having had one briefly in the early 2000's but never got comfortable back then. Now with a lot of rangefinder practice with an M9 then M10 have been itching to give film a try again. So multi packs of TX 400 at the ready and no excuses this time.... that's my new M monochrom! :)  

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

m7 / black dot / vulcanite / 50 lux asph / 21 sem

• 2 weeks later...

M7 35mm f2.8 (zeiss c bogon)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Do you know if it’s 0.72 or 0.58 / 0.85? 

....  it is marked in principle outside near the viewfinder
 if not another way is the indication of the optical frames as below

Congrats for your M7

Best

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

....  it is marked in principle outside near the viewfinder
 if not another way is the indication of the optical frames as below

Congrats for your M7

Best

That’s a bit of a challenge as the camera is in a store in Dubai, where mr35mm saw it :) 

But, thank you for the helpful info, I am aware of these methods.

I have an M7 0.58 and am contemplating an 0.85, haven’t decided if it will be another M7 or an MP yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

am contemplating an 0.85

Of course this is all personal and linked with your favorite angles. But I must say that I liked the 0.85 very much on the M6TTL I once owned. I am not so much a 28 - 50 man, and love the 35 - 75 combination. And the 75lux being my most favorite lens it worked great. Grain is getting more and more disturbing once you go wider than 28mm. On special films like 3200 ASA it can work out nice for special effects but general work with wide angles on 400ASA is not my cup of tea. I would rather have a digital M with 0.58, if ever. If I would have bumped into an M7 with 0.85 I wouldn’t have hesitated, I’m happy enough now with my 0.72. I don’t know what a 0.85 would cost but I am not willing to pay much more than 2500 bucks for a film M because any film M is already so good for much less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

Of course this is all personal and linked with your favorite angles. But I must say that I liked the 0.85 very much on the M6TTL I once owned. I am not so much a 28 - 50 man, and love the 35 - 75 combination. And the 75lux being my most favorite lens it worked great. Grain is getting more and more disturbing once you go wider than 28mm. On special films like 3200 ASA it can work out nice for special effects but general work with wide angles on 400ASA is not my cup of tea. I would rather have a digital M with 0.58, if ever. If I would have bumped into an M7 with 0.85 I wouldn’t have hesitated, I’m happy enough now with my 0.72. I don’t know what a 0.85 would cost but I am not willing to pay much more than 2500 bucks for a film M because any film M is already so good for much less.

Does grain vary by focal length? Serious question as I’m newish to film and hadn’t heard that before. Or, did I misunderstand your point?

IMHO No Otto  ,  it's according to film Isos 800 more than 100 . You can easily see it when enlarged with an enlarger and with a magnifying glass like Scoponet.

Best

20 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

Does grain vary by focal length? Serious question as I’m newish to film and hadn’t heard that before. Or, did I misunderstand your point?

Edited by Doc Henry

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

When you use wider angles, the subjects, like for instance people in the street, or the bricks on a wall, become smaller but the grain stays the same size . So, you get faces or bricks with relatively less and bigger grains and thus muddy or less resolved images. Unless of course you come closer and closer to your subject but that is not always possible and gives other things you don’t always want: large noses, strange perspectives, etc. I hope I’m clear enough now

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, otto.f said:

I love shooting film, but I admit all the exposed rolls are living in a hermetic community since years. Maybe this time I actually will send the rolls for development 😅 

I have a nice BP M2 with the standard 0.72 finder, an M5 in mint condition, also with the 0.72 finder. MP-3 and MP-6 are in the pipeline. 

M6J is on its way as we speak, with the 0.85 finder. 

Of course, coming back to the topic, M7 with the 0.58 finder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1