Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

I like the user interface and quiet shutter but three things keep me from being interested at this time:

1) the EVF isn't built-in

2) it's not a proper R solution

3) the cropped sensor

If one of these objections is addressed in a future version I'll be more interested

If two of these objections are addressed in a future version it's likely I'd overlook the third.

There is a limit as to how many cameras I can stable and recently committed myself to an Olympus E-M1 plus PanaLeica 25/1.4 and 45/2.8 … and await the new 15/1.7 … and already have the XV and X1 … plus other Leica digital compacts.

I like the 'T' concept and may commit to the system in future but would have to move on some of my other Leica cameras … but preferring primes to zooms for use with system cameras, would want to be sure that sufficient 'T' prime lenses will be available. Regarding the 'hewn from solid aluminium' body, I have reservations about the final product being securely grip-able in hot weather with sticky fingers and would much prefer something for my fingers to really grip on - but have not yet had the opportunity to handle a demo model.

At launch it's an incomplete system - unless users/adopters are content to use their M lenses. And is there or will there be an 'R' adaptor? There are probably more than a few potential users who would want to use R bellows and R macro lenses … and even Photars. Years ago Leica was proud of the fact that its cameras were used for scientific/laboratory/research photography and the 'T' system could regenerate interest in these applications - but so far I do not see any hints of dedicated accessories for same. Even the Digilux 4.3 was better equipped accessory-wise in this respect. A dedicated 50mm macro lens and third party ring flash compatibility would interest me.

However, my XV would see little use if I committed myself to a 'T' … and I still have not fully explored the XV's potential.

Leica's 'T' marketing has been more sensible than that employed for the disastrous 'Mini M' campaign. I'd like to see some really interesting 'assignment with a 'T' ' videos featuring some competent photo-journalists and their results … but … the current lack of 'T' prime lenses probably makes this wish a non-starter.

It's a system camera with an incomplete system!

But good luck to Leica for future 'T' system expansion … assuming the designers and makers (wherever they are??) can and do deliver.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

I don't think I would buy one at the moment, I had the x1 when it first came out and I was disappointed with it for various reasons and ended up selling my three leica cameras and moved over to Fuji. Not sure I would sell the fuji to go back to leica at present.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the wait and see category. I like what I see about the camera, but I'd like to see what lenses come out and their price-point. BUT - If Leica were to do as they've done with the S mount and make factory adapters available, I would go from "wait" to "buy". I have some truly good X- mount lenses which I'd love to use on the T.

Eventually I will want to transition from my M bodies and lenses to an AF system which can make good use of what M (and maybe R) lenses I will keep for now.

Does this T camera do that for me? Not exactly. I checked "Buy it now" as I want to see if this T can begin my migration to some type of AF system without having to buy too many AF zooms and primes.

That said any "other" system that can make GOOD use of my M lenses, no matter the FL, would be welcome to me. I sent the a7r back. I like my AF, FF RX-1 and only because of that thought I would try the a7.

I hear Fuji makes good lenses and might fit into my photographic style and needs. I just do not know right now which company since the choices are almost too many, but then not enough for a Leica M user.

How to I "use" my images is also of importance to me. I seldom post which means I want more than a 6MP sensor. I print mostly 13x19 and sometimes to 20x30. I would say and APS-C sensor is sufficient for the former. If this is true then I do not "Need" a FF sensor especially at $7k for the M and $8k for the MM.

As one poster above mentioned when someone thinks of Leica it is the glass that comes to mind first and foremost. Where everything is made does not bother me if the prices are mainstream for an "internationally" manufactured camera component system. The T prices are not mainstream in totality and that is what bothers me more than a little. Can I afford it? Sure, but that is not the question. Do I feel ripped off is the important question to me? And will this system be around for a long time? Will this be the next R system? Maybe just sitting back and watch the camera wars is the best approach for now.

IMHO there is no right or wrong, it really comes down to each of us and in deciding what do you need and what do you do with your images. I can create desirable images with any system so that is not a worry for me.

Edited by algrove

Not interested in a camera without an OPTICAL viewfinder/rangefinder. I have been a Leica M film photographer and moved to an M8.2. Digital yes, uber-expensive point and shoot, no. I have a Canon A720 for "point and shoot" as well as a shirt pocket Canon for the same. Both have viewfinders although I am not a fan of the auto focus, but they do when necessary. And don't even get me started on menus instead of tactile controls!

The Nikon 1 series is EXACTLY what I think of when I see it.

This system is at least 3 years behind everybody else in the industry, without any noticeable improvement in any category, just another lens mount mistake to abandon later. Don't even get me started on the VF...

Just my opinion, If I was looking for a smaller camera, the DLux 6, or the better yet the Panasonic version, is a more capable choice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After the Leica T launch is some days ago and a lot of reviews are published, here our question to you:

Would you buy the new Leica T?

Please vote above and comment in this thread.

I'm also in the no appropriate answer category. I think it looks GORGEOUS and it was a delight to play with one at the Leica Store in Los Angeles. Image quality is fantastic as well.

Why won't I buy?

Too large with the zoom for a pocket camera (I have a Sony RX100 m2 for that). Yes, it will take my M lenses, but so does my M9 and M Monochrom and those are at full-frame with identical layout and operation.

I think the biggest downside to me is the lack of built-in EVF. The clip on is of very high, but it is still a clip-on. If the EVF was built-in and even if the camera was $500 more expensive I would likely order one. As it is, I thought about it seriously, and opted to hang onto my little Sony for casual use and to hand-off to non-enthusiasts when I want to be in the picture, and stick to my rangefinders for my own use.

I am not interested in a camera is called a Leica because it is expensive and pretty rather than using the design to put Leica ahead of the pack in some area other than looks. If they had started out that way they would have never become THE camera leaders that they once were.

I need image stabilization and they give a very weak excuse for not having it. I am finally giving up after 60 years a Leica fan. Ever since they entered the digital age they have been behind. Somehow they never think ahead. My Cannon and Lumex friends are always joking about the "latest" Japanese Leicas. Put a red sticker on it and raise the price. I can't afford it anymore for what I get. I am 74 and I have a slight tremor in my hands and my Nikon with stabilization allows me to shoot without a tripod, not my M9. So I and am selling most of my Leica equipment to replace it with something from Sony or some other (most likely Japanese company) mirrorless, full frame camera that will also allow me to use a few of my favorite Leica lenses. Full frame seems to be on the way.

Edited by davidschumaker
Making it more complete

I voted "wait and see"... but realistically-- for me it's a very long "wait and see" for now I am served well by my X1 and for the occasional need for telephoto use I have a "C-type 112". Should my X1 die or I suddenly receive an unexpected inheritance then I would seriously consider it....

• Like 1

With the T, Leica has succeeded in (re)creating . . .

<Drum roll please>

The Sony NEX-5N !

How do I know? I shoot with one. I have been eagerly awaiting an integrated VF, full frame, manual focus-friendly, Leica as a potential upgrade.

Consider:

- Equivalent (if not the same or related) sensor.

- External EVF.

- Shape (though the T is undeniably sexier).

- Touch screen (albeit upgraded).

- No image stabilization.

And, for those of us who shoot MF lenses, the absence of focus-peaking is a significant software omission!

So, other than the aluminum body and a weak built-in flash, what is the real motivation to expend significant cash only to recapture the status quo?

To me, the T is a huge disappointment.

That's my $0.02.

Ed B.

The categories don't quite apply to me, but I did choose the last even though I think it's a very good design.

Since I have digital M cameras, the T is less interesting for me. On top of that, the T doesn't have a viewfinder built in, which for myself is its major failing.

As a platform for future development, including full frame AF use with full backward compatibility I thinks it's brilliant.

Henning

From Leica's point of view, the CL was a huge mistake as it destroyed the potential success of the M5. People were flocking to the Minolta made CL and the M5 failed as a product. Also, the CL didn't enable lens sales for the bigger, faster Leica lenses, further hurting Leica. So Leica killed off the CL. Minolta followed up with the CLE which then was sold with a Minolta branding, essentially being the better CL - and Leica M, given how advanced the cameras was at that time.

Leica will never again threaten its M line with its own products. I think they learned that lesson the hard way.

Hi

It is a different world we live in today and Leica cannot and doesn't survive by selling just the M [ film and digital ] cameras..

A digital CL equivalent, would be selling Leicas and lenses, and would be a good back up for M users, where larger lenses could be used on the M and smaller on the digi CL and therefore would not be a threat.

The M5 failed because of its unusual and larger body and not because of the CL, and now Leica has a much broader product line to offer.

A digital CL would not be any threat to the M line, but would be a benefit to Leica sales.

Bruno.