New Firmware on May 24th

Voigt

when has Leica ever confirmed a rumor?

Not as a response to a rumor but Leica has at several occasions pre-announced they were working on a firmware update, if I'm not mistaken. Not the case this time.

Not as a response to a rumor but Leica has at several occasions pre-announced they were working on a firmware update, if I'm not mistaken. Not the case this time.

I think you are confusing Beta Testers violating their NDA and discussing the beta of new FW. I don't recall Leica ever "pre-announcing" fw updates.

I'm disappointed. Not only because we didn't get it today but because now there are no suggestions as to when it could head our way.

When? If, maybe never?

It isn't long now before the next model, and scribbled on a marketing consultants bedside notepad is already the strapline 'Buy the M360, with all the M240 bugs finally fixed!' :D

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm disappointed. Not only because we didn't get it today but because now there are no suggestions as to when it could head our way.
Errr.. The site is called LeicaRUMORS

I suppose what happened was that they were overwhelmed by all our marvelous suggestions for firmware improvements and implementing them is taking a little longer than anticipated. Certainly sorting out all the auto ISO options we need must have been a bigger project than anyone could possibly have imagined. And when they were almost done, Ada's brilliant solution to the "technically impossible" moveable focus area threw the schedule completely off course.

Probably.

• Like 4

As all else has failed does anybody know a psychic person who could divine some entrails, or whatever it is they get up to? Rummaging around in the belly of a dead goat has to be more accurate and informative than Leica Rumors, hasn't it?

Steve

Well, Mystic Maggie says that it's due when the eagle flies east, when the worm turns, when the clock strikes one, when mysterious messages pass beneath the sea, when baboons chatter unfettered, and when Leica is good and ready.

So there you have it: it's no longer a rumour because Mystic Maggie has spoken.

Pete.;)

Well the next most likely time is during Photokina, but it could be anytime before or after. You can't always be sure.

YMMV

New or updated hardware at those events yes, but firmware? I don't think so.

Edited by rafikiphoto
  • Like 1

Errr.. The site is called LeicaRUMORS

When I was in the army we had a rule that was very useful: "All good rumors are false and all bad rumors are true."

• Like 3

Leica have just introduced a new 28mm F1.4 lens. While this lens is currently limited to 101 examples, I would expect that it will enter normal production soon. Leica would hardly spend all the research and production cost for such a short production run. So that means there will have to be a new profile for the new lens. Which will mean an updated firmware, but probably around the time the 28mm F1.4 is in general issue. I just hope they have had a look at the 'lock-up' issue.

• Like 1

Leica have just introduced a new 28mm F1.4 lens. While this lens is currently limited to 101 examples, I would expect that it will enter normal production soon. Leica would hardly spend all the research and production cost for such a short production run. So that means there will have to be a new profile for the new lens. Which will mean an updated firmware, but probably around the time the 28mm F1.4 is in general issue. I just hope they have had a look at the 'lock-up' issue.

Nah. They could embed the profile now and say nowt about it. When the lens is on general release it would be recognised...wouldn't it?

Nah. They could embed the profile now and say nowt about it. When the lens is on general release it would be recognised...wouldn't it?

No, the profile would show up in the Profiles Manual Selection.

• Like 1

No, the profile would show up in the Profiles Manual Selection.

No, of course the profile doesn't show up in the camera's manual profile selection menu.

The Summilux-M 28 mm Asph's profile is already known to the M cameras for about a year now; the 6-bit lens code is 110110 = 54. So no new firmware required to automatically recognise the new lens. Now I wonder what the new Macro-Elmar-M 90 mm's and the new Macro-Adapter-M's 6-bit codes are ... I guess they simply re-use the previous codes, i. e. 39 (lens) and 40 (adapter). Does anyone know for sure?